Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hmm, end our argument please!
Hmm, end our argument please!
2005-07-21, 12:54 PM #1
The argument:

Dorms or Apartments? Yes, which is better?

CHOOSE WISELY, YOUR ANSWER DECIDES WHO WINS MY ARGUMENT WITH MY FRIEND!

(I will not say which I perfer until the poll is closed, to ensure a better result.)
2005-07-21, 12:55 PM #2
My vote...matters?
2005-07-21, 12:56 PM #3
In my opinion apartments, it's cheaper, you are in control there, and there are no morons keeping you up in them middle of then night when you have an exam the next day, because they have had to much to drink and suddenly want to hurt themselves.
2005-07-21, 12:59 PM #4
I know the answer to ALL arguments..

And it is...

STFU. :)
2005-07-21, 12:59 PM #5
ACK! I've been future posted!
2005-07-21, 1:00 PM #6
I'm not really a fan of either, but that's because I have a third option that's a whole lot better. In my experience, dorms are way too restrictive, especially if you get some ******* RA, but they do offer a better social atmosphere because there are moe people around. On the flip side, apartments are a lees social setting, aside form the people you live with, but you don't have all the restrictions you'd have in a dorm.

I can't vote for either. SOrry that i ws of no help.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-21, 1:16 PM #7
Right now I'd say I prefer the dorms, because I'm living in them and have never really had a problem with them. However, I would like the control of having my own apartment. I'm probably going to vote for dorms because I've never really had a bad experience with them (even with a roommate,) and it is the only one of the choices I actually have experience with. I also can't complain about the Internet connection here, because its faster than anything I normally use. I imagine I'll change my mind once I do get an apartment though.

However, Avenger does make good points, there should be a third option, even if its just "other."
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-07-21, 1:24 PM #8
Futurepost Lolz
2005-07-21, 1:33 PM #9
It all depends on the type of person you are. While in the dorms you have most everything taken care of, it's pricey and loud. They also make you participate in things and try to make you a better person by doing so (at least in my dorm time they have tried all that...) In an apartment you have more freedom but more responsiblity to pay bills and stuff. I prefer apartments when compared to the dorms because I like to study and don't like the overall social scene. :em321:
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2005-07-21, 1:38 PM #10
Not only that, but teh white still burns my eyes on the reply screen. :rolleyes:

(dorms)
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-07-21, 2:07 PM #11
Flats.

Edit: Why is this post staying at the bottom? These forums suck.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-07-21, 2:13 PM #12
I'm moving into a duplex soon with 3 other guys. Why are apartments/duplexes better?

1) Premium cable channels
2) No restriction on internet access (or, rather, self-decided restrictions)
3) More space
4) Your own room
5) You can actually host parties
6) Not subject to campus residential rules

I lived for two years in the dorms. I'm done with 'em.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-07-21, 4:14 PM #13
One semester was enough for me.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-21, 4:16 PM #14
I vote apartment. More freedom is never a bad thing.
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2005-07-21, 5:20 PM #15
I vote dorms. Sure, you may gain some personal freedom with an apartment, but if you can't put up with living with 1 or 2 people for a few months, that's quite sad (especially since you can switch roommates). Also, apartments cost a hella lot more to live in than dorms. Eh, maybe I just like to save my money.
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2005-07-21, 5:21 PM #16
Originally posted by Wolfy:
1) Premium cable channels
2) No restriction on internet access (or, rather, self-decided restrictions)
3) More space
4) Your own room
5) You can actually host parties
6) Not subject to campus residential rules

He basically summed it up. Definately apartments.

Although...I DID have a pretty cool RA. We did shots with her on the last day of school...
2005-07-21, 5:25 PM #17
Appartments, I say!
2005-07-21, 5:26 PM #18
Originally posted by SM_Trige:
Also, apartments cost a hella lot more to live in than dorms. Eh, maybe I just like to save my money.

What are you tlking about? That's rarely the case.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-21, 7:15 PM #19
All I know is at my school, if you would rather live in an apartment than a dorm, you're going to end up paying hundreds of dollars more to do so.
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2005-07-21, 8:29 PM #20
Originally posted by Avenger:
I'm not really a fan of either, but that's because I have a third option that's a whole lot better. In my experience, dorms are way too restrictive, especially if you get some ******* RA, but they do offer a better social atmosphere because there are moe people around. On the flip side, apartments are a lees social setting, aside form the people you live with, but you don't have all the restrictions you'd have in a dorm.

I can't vote for either. SOrry that i ws of no help.

You failed to mention what that other option is though :p
2005-07-21, 8:35 PM #21
Apartment is going to save me several thousand dollars this year over the dorm. I vote apartment. If I could vote twice I would.
>>untie shoes
2005-07-21, 8:48 PM #22
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]You failed to mention what that other option is though :p[/QUOTE]

There's an independant, student housing coop here in Berkeley. They have room and board houses. Offers lower cost housing without all the restrictions of the dorms.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-22, 4:03 AM #23
Apartments.
nope.
2005-07-24, 11:40 AM #24
no idea... I'm a freshamn in high school.....
2005-07-24, 1:42 PM #25
dorms deinflty are more social, when iw as living in a dorm like area There was always one floor you could visit if you were bored and something was always going on somwhere in the building.

but I like aparemts better... just as much social if you have friends and stuff and throw parties or something...
The Gas Station
2005-07-24, 2:26 PM #26
I like my University. They have the normal, small, tight dorms and then dorms that hold four people and really are more like an apartment. However, the University pretty much forces you to buy meals from the cafetaria except on one payment plan for the University Village. Are apartments really going to be cheaper than $3,285 a year?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-07-24, 2:33 PM #27
As I haven't yet lived in either (though I shall be living in a dorm starting next month), I cannot say. However, I do believe that it'd be cheaper to live in a dorm than an apartment, though I'm not postitive. It's not even an option for these first two years, besides.
2005-07-24, 3:25 PM #28
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn]I like my University. They have the normal, small, tight dorms and then dorms that hold four people and really are more like an apartment. However, the University pretty much forces you to buy meals from the cafetaria except on one payment plan for the University Village. Are apartments really going to be cheaper than $3,285 a year?[/QUOTE]

Those are some cheap freaking dorms. The cheapest they have at Cal are $11,000 a year. That makes and apartment with a couple of room mates a whole lot cheaper.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-24, 4:33 PM #29
i voted dorms
I <3 Massassi

↑ Up to the top!