Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Making an MORPG
Making an MORPG
2005-07-22, 6:33 AM #1
I was wondering about making a MORPG. Notice that there are not two "m"s. It doesn't seem like massive would be easy, cheap, or very possible. I was thinking it would be cool to make something akin to old school runescape. How does one go about doing that? Do you need weird coding languages and scripts, or is there any sort of program?

P.S. I'm not claiming to be making one. I'm just curious.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2005-07-22, 6:37 AM #2
You'll be wanting a game engine that supports multiplayer, a dedicated server application or DM client of some sort, and most likely a scripting language that world/level designers can use to implement quests. You'll also need to develop an extensive array of tools for it.
2005-07-22, 6:49 AM #3
I'll look for what tools or programs I need. My friend Brandon might have some. He has his computer set up with around 300 gigs of space and has a habit of downloading intense amounts of rubbish to start a project that he gets bored with.

The big thing seems to be a game engine. You can get a dedicated server for $25 a month or something along those lines. What do I do about the engine?

I feel weird asking around here, but I'm not to sure where to look for instructions. I'll try googling some stuff.

Edit: The scratchware manifesto place has a link to codewarrior, but it has never worked for me. Anyone know what this is about?
2005-07-22, 6:57 AM #4
Unless you're adverse to using a commercial game like Neverwinter Nights as a base, you're pretty much screwed as far as the engine is concerned. Multiplayer RPG engines are few and far between, and what few are available aren't flexible or reliable enough to make a real game using it.

You'll probably have to write your own, custom-tailored toward the features laid out by your design document.
2005-07-22, 7:57 AM #5
[url]www.daimonin.net[/url] (2D client)

It's an open source project, you can use the engine so long as your project of it remains open source. This is a branch from a project originally named Crossfire. You could try either one.

I play here lots, it's good engine just it might need some more work to touch up the levelling system.

For 3D online worlds, you can try looking into Ogre3D and such engines, that are around at the moment.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-07-22, 12:22 PM #6
CODEWARRIOR IS A HORRIBLE IDE/COMPILER

Use VC++.NET if you can, but hell, even Dev-C++ is better.
D E A T H
2005-07-22, 6:15 PM #7
So don't use code warrior...
I'm getting a few friends together to try to make one. If we can get the very basics to work, we're going to try to make a Roman era RPG with druids and Celts and the Legions and the whole deal. That's probably all just dreaming up ideas. If we can figure out how to get it to function, and that's a big if, would anyone here like to help? Or does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing (for real)?

The closest thing to coding I can do is COG scripts in JK. I'm thinking it's going to hard and daunting, but so was JED and GTK Radiant when I first got those. Even if I fail miserably, it wouldn't hurt to learn how to code in C++ and Delphi and whatever else these things use.

It should be simple to make a roman rpg. I take Latin.
<.<
>.>
Semper ubi sub ubi.

↑ Up to the top!