Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Portable CD players.
Portable CD players.
2005-07-22, 8:58 PM #1
I figured this should go here because it's not really about music or technology, if i'm wrong go ahead and move it to the right place.

On to the problem, the last three portable CD players I've bought have crapped out on me.
The first one I bought had MP3 playback, which is what I wanted, but it didn't read cd's properly (I always got a CD read error), so I swiftly returned it only to find out that Wally World only lets me exchange it for the exact same product. So I figure I just got a bad unit and the next one will work fine.
WRONG, in fact, the next two I get have the exact same problem. They'll play fine for about 10 minutes, then just stop. The time counter and sound stops, but I can hear the laser moving, the CD still spins, and the area around the batteries gets extremly hot. And it's on all CD's, not just MP3 CDs.
However because of the return policy I won't be able to get a different brand, so I just lost the money I spent and I will never buy a Duraband anything ever again.

So I need some suggestions of decent, reasonably cheap, portable CD players. Preferrably with MP3 playback, but I'll take it without.
Anyone have any suggestions?
2005-07-22, 9:11 PM #2
Ask for a manager..it can work wonders sometimes. Tell them that this is your third Durabrand that has crapped out on you, and that you're tired of returning them only to get another non-functional unit.

Let us know if it works :)
woot!
2005-07-22, 10:25 PM #3
never get the generic players... if you need mp3 support i suggest staying away from anything under like $50
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-07-23, 7:42 PM #4
I've got one of the Sony S2 models, don't remember the exact name. It plays CDs, MP3 disks, plus I can listen to AM and FM radio, Weather band, and local TV channels. Cost me around $100, and I absolutly love the thing.
2005-07-23, 7:45 PM #5
The cheaper CD players with MP3 playback don't always read burned CDs that well. Sometimes you have to physically burn the CD on a slower setting. That helps sometimes. A name brand like a Sony is far more likely to work well. With stuff like this, you get what you pay for.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!