Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → If you've ever played...
If you've ever played...
2005-07-22, 9:17 PM #1
Wolfenstein 3D, then you'll understand this picture. I've taken the popular "OBEY" graffiti tag and taken the "OBEY" part and fit it under the Wolf 3D guy's (BJ Blaskowizt is the name...yeah, i remember it, don't remember if that's how it's spelled) guy's head.

Now, to justify this being in the discussion forum, have you ever played Wolf 3D or not? And if you don't mind tell your experiences/thoughts/comments on the gran-daddy of all First Person Shooters *looks at DooM, knowing DooM didn't come first*
Attachment: 6264/GRIN 2 point 1.jpg (2,464 bytes)
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-07-22, 9:37 PM #2
classic. the dogs freaked me out, though.
幻術
2005-07-22, 9:40 PM #3
Nobody ever claimed Doom was the first fps. It was just the first to have an actual 3D engine (I think; I'm probably wrong here).
Stuff
2005-07-22, 9:43 PM #4
From everything i hear from TV to magazines, Doom is credited for giving the FPS genre it's start, but rarely ever, IF EVER, have I heard anything about Wolfenstein 3D changin video games. But that's just me.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-07-22, 9:44 PM #5
I played it first on a mac at my ex-girlfriends house on her dad's computer. I had a blast, the dogs freaked me out. I got bored of that game pretty quickly though because it was mostly just walking forever and shooting the same guys over and over. I enjoyed DOOM much more.
2005-07-22, 9:44 PM #6
I think Quake is the first FPS that can actually be called 3d. Quake actually used models and didn't have the severe limitations DOOM did. In doom you couldn't have an area be above another area..
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-07-22, 9:44 PM #7
Heard of it of course, never played it.
Attachment: 6267/obeywil.gif (13,866 bytes)
2005-07-22, 9:46 PM #8
Most of the time, people claim Wolfenstein was the first FPS.

Which isn't true.
2005-07-22, 9:51 PM #9
Rob, if you can't back up that statement with facts, then don't post. Tell us, please, what's the first FPS. I thought I'd heard something before about a FPS before Wolfenstein, but I blew it off. And a little interesting fact, Wolf 3D came out 44 days before i was born. I've been playing that game since I was..4 i think.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-07-22, 9:59 PM #10
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I think Quake is the first FPS that can actually be called 3d. Quake actually used models and didn't have the severe limitations DOOM did. In doom you couldn't have an area be above another area..

No. Doom was the first 3D FPS, Quake just used models instead of sprites and had a lighting/shading engine along with a LOT of nifty features.
D E A T H
2005-07-22, 10:14 PM #11
If you call DOOM fully 3D, then Wolfenstein fits the bill too. :rolleyes:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-07-22, 10:15 PM #12
Engine trivia:

Wolfenstein 3D was more or less the first 3D first person shooter. I don't recall any that came before it. The engine was inspired by a technology demo for Ultima Underworld. Its optimizations were based on a constant lookup table of wall heights (to reduce the number of possible combinations only perpendicular walls were possible, and the walls all had a minimum width). Additionally, Wolfenstein 3D didn't feature ceiling or floor textures as these were too computationally-expensive for the state of the art 386 of the day.

Doom was the first game engine to allow for non-orthagonal walls and multiple levels, although its release quite closely coincided with Rise of the Triad which was based on a heavily enhanced version of the Wolfenstein 3D engine, which also supported multiple heights, stuff like semi-realistic flames, morphing geometry (floors and walls), ceiling and floor textures and sky textures. Quite the impressive thing, but it couldn't handle geometry that wasn't square so it fell quite short of Doom.

Quake was the first full, true 3D engine to hit market, although I believe the first commercial 3D game to be announced is an honor held by Trespasser (which is, incidentally, also one of the worst games ever created.)
2005-07-22, 10:17 PM #13
Quote:
No. Doom was the first 3D FPS, Quake just used models instead of sprites and had a lighting/shading engine along with a LOT of nifty features.

it wasn't full 3D.

Quote:
Tell us, please, what's the first FPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-person_shooter
幻術
2005-07-22, 10:19 PM #14
In Doom, you can't model a multi-floor building or anything with sloped walls. I wouldn't exactly call that fully 3d, yoshi.
2005-07-22, 10:24 PM #15
If you call DOOM fully 3D, then Wolfenstein fits the bill too. :rolleyes:

No. Wolfenstein had forward/backwards and left/right, but it wasn't vertical in any way.

And oh...Rise of the Triadd...damn i loved that game. I have the first episode or whatever it's called on a demo CD. That's all i ever played for the longest time...some awesome weapons too.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-07-22, 10:25 PM #16
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
Rob, if you can't back up that statement with facts, then don't post. Tell us, please, what's the first FPS. I thought I'd heard something before about a FPS before Wolfenstein, but I blew it off. And a little interesting fact, Wolf 3D came out 44 days before i was born. I've been playing that game since I was..4 i think.

It's a trick. The original Wolfenstein wans't an FPS, Wolfenstein 3D was.

EDIT: On a side note, did I read that they were making a new Wolfenstein game?
2005-07-22, 10:36 PM #17
I thought Dark Forces was better than Doom.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-07-22, 10:49 PM #18
Doom couldn't make ramps, so what's your point?

But doom had multiple levels, and i think you could even bind a look up button, but maybe that's because it's been a while since I've played it. Wolfenstein 3D was only one level.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-07-22, 10:54 PM #19
WTF?? Man these boards are completely messed.
2005-07-22, 11:51 PM #20
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
No. Wolfenstein had forward/backwards and left/right, but it wasn't vertical in any way.

Doom couldn't make ramps, so what's your point?
2005-07-23, 12:18 AM #21
In Doom, you can't model a multi-floor building or anything with sloped walls. I wouldn't exactly call that fully 3d, yoshi.

I never said fully. I said 3d. Please, show me where I said fully. Meaning that the area around you could be modelled, but the actual characters and effects and stuff were all sprites. Also, you could have a dropoff which makes for 'multifloors'. And it DID support ramps. They were just modeled as stairs most of the time (I don't remember seeing any ramps). I really don't think you know what you're talking about. Now stop trying to confuse my words and make me look bad, because you fail yet again.
D E A T H
2005-07-23, 12:48 AM #22
It was quite an intensive and funny game. I never finished it, though...

I have always lived in the belief it was the first 3D game. Maybe it didn't have all the features later titles had... But that would be a kind of stupid expectation anyway, eh?
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-07-23, 1:17 AM #23
I guess you can call it 3d becuase it has depth and perspective.
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-07-23, 1:27 AM #24
Nope, Doom only supported fully horizontal and fully vertical surfaces. Ramps weren't "modeled as stairs" because they wanted them to be, they were because they had to be. Stairs are purely vertical and horizontal, ramps are not.

And while you could have one surface higher than another, you could only have one floor surface per point on the z-axis. Any effect of "floors" had to be simulated with portals basically.
2005-07-23, 8:41 AM #25
You could claim Wolf and Doom as 2-and-a-half-D. ;)
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-07-23, 9:22 AM #26
Who are the 6 people who said "no"? Get off these forums! :mad:
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-07-23, 9:39 AM #27
Originally posted by tofu:
It's a trick. The original Wolfenstein wans't an FPS, Wolfenstein 3D was.

EDIT: On a side note, did I read that they were making a new Wolfenstein game?

I'm surprised only one person got that. :P

However, even Wolfenstein 3d WASN'T the first FPS.
2005-07-23, 10:55 AM #28
Originally posted by Darth:
Nope, Doom only supported fully horizontal and fully vertical surfaces. Ramps weren't "modeled as stairs" because they wanted them to be, they were because they had to be. Stairs are purely vertical and horizontal, ramps are not.

And while you could have one surface higher than another, you could only have one floor surface per point on the z-axis. Any effect of "floors" had to be simulated with portals basically.

I said the second part, but they still had the effects of ramps. Who cares if they didn't look like them.
D E A T H
2005-07-23, 11:07 AM #29
More Engine Trivia:

Wolfenstein 3D used old school raycasting, and Doom was the first to use BSP trees in a game.
2005-07-23, 11:10 AM #30
But they weren't sloped walls, which is what Freelancer said. According to you he has no idea what he was talking about, but actually he's exactly on the spot with what he said. So sorry, sounds like you were the one who didn't know what he was talking about.
2005-07-23, 11:18 AM #31
Lets muddy the water - Duke3D - multi storey trickery.... what's that all about? ;)

I think the first FULLY 3D games I played ignoring all the 2D/3D trickery of DOOM and such like were things like Descent and maybe even StarFox/Wing on my mate's SNES (I'm sure there were more wireframey things in flight sims but I'm abundantly unaware). I think Quake was the FPS to have everything modelled in 3d except spritey effects and gubbins like that.
2005-07-23, 11:40 AM #32
If I remember right, the Ultima Underworld engine was "true" 3D. It allowed for more complex level architecture than Wolfenstein 3D, and also had slopes, and that was in 1991.
I'm just a little boy.
2005-07-23, 11:46 AM #33
Because DOOM couldn't handle a helluva lot of architecture due to the fact that every surface in the level had to be perpendicular to the floor and ceiling.
2005-07-23, 12:07 PM #34
I had the shareware version then got the full game. It was great. Also, Rob's right. Wolf 3d wasn't the first FPS game. There was something else that came before, but I forget what it was called.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!