Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → computer advice
computer advice
2005-07-23, 9:35 AM #1
I'm getting a new computer for school, and I was wondering if any of you have had problems with e-machines. The computer looks great- a gig of memory, 200GB hard drive, 64 amd athalon processor, decent enough graphics card for my purposes, all in all a giant leap up from the hunk of junk I use now, but I know a few people who have had problems with Dell and their technical support and I was wondering if anyone has had similar promblems with e-machines

(thanks)
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2005-07-23, 9:46 AM #2
DO NOT BUY AN E-MACHINE!!!!!!!

Seriously.

I'd go with a refurbished Dell desktop, just make sure you get EXACTLY what you ordered.
2005-07-23, 9:49 AM #3
Originally posted by Rob:
DO NOT BUY AN E-MACHINE!!!!!!!

Quoted for truth

WTF--- Q.F.T. (w/o the periods) is censored. Why?
2005-07-23, 9:54 AM #4
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Quoted for truth

Same reason p-wnd is.

PS, WTF = Welcome To France
2005-07-23, 10:53 AM #5
Get a Dell. E-Machines are known for falling apart, literally FALLING APART on you. Dells at least are built solidly. If you have the money, a Sony would be nice too (though at that price point Alienwares would be better ;))

I would say build it, but something tells me you're not willing to :p
D E A T H
2005-07-23, 11:08 AM #6
whoa really?

I know they used to have major problems (actually I just found that out), but have they improved since Gateway bought them? and keep in mind this isn't a laptop.

(yeah, and not so much with the building it idea, thought according to my brother it's a better way to do it)
2005-07-23, 12:19 PM #7
Look at a Dell before an E-Machines. Dell has some great deals on new desktops these days.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-23, 12:33 PM #8
Trust me, Dell or Gateway. Even though Gateway owns E-Machines, they still are horrible POS'. I'd seriously think about building it because then, not only can you get what you want, but guaranteed at a lesser pricetag too.
D E A T H
2005-07-23, 12:33 PM #9
Do not get an E-Machine.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-07-23, 1:22 PM #10
How much are you looking to spend?

I found a pre-owned Dell l(3Ghz/512m/40gb) for 290 bucks...deals are around if you can find 'em :)
woot!
2005-07-23, 4:54 PM #11
oh dear, the issue now is the fact that I just bought it...

price range is as cheap as possible, but I really think this one will do me well, it's a T6520, and I got it, with a flat panel monitor and a printer, for $667(after rebates). I tihnk I'm going to get a TV Tuner as well, I can find some pretty cheap ones online. Are they really that bad though? I know they had a lousy reputation, but everyone else I talked to said that it was s good machine. I would have loved to build my own except for the fact that I don't have the money, talent, or knowledge. or time.

seriously though, I leave for college in a month, so do you really think that I should return it and look for a better deal? would it be worth it?
2005-07-23, 7:19 PM #12
Originally posted by sugarless5:
oh dear, the issue now is the fact that I just bought it...

price range is as cheap as possible, but I really think this one will do me well, it's a T6520, and I got it, with a flat panel monitor and a printer, for $667(after rebates). I tihnk I'm going to get a TV Tuner as well, I can find some pretty cheap ones online. Are they really that bad though? I know they had a lousy reputation, but everyone else I talked to said that it was s good machine. I would have loved to build my own except for the fact that I don't have the money, talent, or knowledge. or time.

seriously though, I leave for college in a month, so do you really think that I should return it and look for a better deal? would it be worth it?

You have the money. Building one is cheaper than buying a premade one.

It doesn't take talent, really, as long as you're not overclocking or anything fancy (which something tells me you won't be ;)). The knowledge is mostly either common sense or something you can find online. The time...well it took me 2 hours to get my computer put together, but I had some knowledge on how to do it, and this is with overclocking...I dunno, those are my arguments FOR building your own PC.

Yes, you should return an eMachines if you bought it.
D E A T H
2005-07-23, 7:58 PM #13
Check out [url]www.sharkyforums.com[/url] for advice on building a budget system -- 600 bucks is an easy budget to work with :)
woot!
2005-07-24, 9:34 AM #14
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Quoted for truth

QFT got Juztyn'd while I was in Spain I think

<.<
>.>

Page is pwnd.

Sorry

:p

EDIT: The old filter evasions obviously don't work on the new forums! Booooo ;)
2005-07-24, 10:37 AM #15
eMachines are the most wretched hives of scum and villany. :p

But seriously, they have all sorts of major hardware problems, among others. I was looking at one a long time ago, and then stumbled upon horror stories.. They're power supplies tend to uh.. do bad things. They're really cheap, but they're not worth it.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-07-24, 10:41 AM #16
If I recall, you don't live that far away from me.

I probably could have helped you build a computer. It's really not that hard... but there are some little assembly things you just HAVE to know. Mostly little stuff, like those beastly processor clips, why the thermal paste provided with your heatsink sucks, what a heatsink actually does, and air movement.
2005-07-24, 1:10 PM #17
I had a E-Machine for 6 years, worked flawlessly, still does, but they do suck.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-07-24, 1:14 PM #18
Just because a company's computers generally suck doesn't mean that every single box they push out blows up.. :p

But most do.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!

↑ Up to the top!