Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → chicken!
chicken!
2005-07-23, 9:47 AM #1
okay, this probably sounds BEYOND lame, but... i have this chicken. frozen. in in the fridge. i assume it's got no intrails. so... the question of the day is... what do i do with it?

yeah, stupid, i know. but i don't want to loose a perfectly good chicken simply cuz of inexperience, you know? anyways, long things cut short - what's the best way to grill a chicken?

what i'm thinking now is letting it defreeze, then maybe sticking garlic up it's arse, and simply putting it in the oven. sounds suspiciously easy, though.

maybe rubbing it with mayonnaise first?

any bright ideas?
幻術
2005-07-23, 9:50 AM #2
Throw it in the open window of a moving vehicle.

That or bean someone with it.
2005-07-23, 9:54 AM #3
Originally posted by Rob:
That or bean someone with it.

preferably when it's frozen. :p

Seriously, I would cook it rotisserie-style, if you have access to the right equipment.

2005-07-23, 9:54 AM #4
Set it, and forget it!
2005-07-23, 10:31 AM #5
Obviously buttered side down. ;)

But really, if you know how to slice 'er up, cut some nice breast slices and simmer 'em in a pan adding whatever spices (powered garlic, salt and pepper are good) then serve with warmed Mushroom soup (Cambell's canned soup) or soup of choice over top of it. Makes boring old chicken extremely tastey.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-07-23, 10:51 AM #6
Didn't know we had a chef here.;)
2005-07-23, 11:04 AM #7
CHICKEN i LEIK eatign CHICmejn :banned: :rolleyes: :em321: ;) :D :o
2005-07-23, 11:10 AM #8
Ok, to roast a chicken... from DEFROSTED

(1) Wash it under the tap/faucet
(2) Preheat your oven to about 180 or 200C
(3) I would personally rub olive oil into the skin, with a little salt and pepper and veggie stock added too
(4) Bung it in the oven (on a roasting dish/tray) and leave it for 90 mins, then check it.
(5) Poke it with a skewer, if the juices run PINK it's underdone, and should go back in for another half hour or so
(6) Repeat (5) until the juices run CLEAR - then it's ok to eat.

For best results, carve up hot and serve in FAT sandwiches made with white bread and too much butter.

(drool)
2005-07-23, 12:18 PM #9
If it's a whole chicken, the oven is the best bet. Make sure you defrost it first.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-23, 12:21 PM #10
Google it. There are recipes for stuff like this all over the net.
2005-07-23, 1:45 PM #11
And whatever you do, don't grill it like you said in the first place.
nope.
2005-07-23, 3:14 PM #12
Quote:
Google it. There are recipes for stuff like this all over the net.

but of course i googled it. i just wanted realistic advise, not pro recipes. anyways, i ended up rubbing mayonnaise mixed with garlic powder into it and putting it in the over for 90 minutes, like Martyn said. it was yummy.

chicken! good!
幻術
2005-07-23, 4:25 PM #13
Cut each part into wings, thighs, drumsticks, and breasts and BBQ it! mmmmmmmm...BBQ!!!!!!!!11111
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2005-07-23, 4:41 PM #14
Before cooking it, make sure there are no feathers. Sometimes they miss some, and you don't want to bite into that.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-07-23, 5:28 PM #15
Originally posted by Koobie:
but of course i googled it. i just wanted realistic advise, not pro recipes. anyways, i ended up rubbing mayonnaise mixed with garlic powder into it and putting it in the over for 90 minutes, like Martyn said. it was yummy.

chicken! good!

Good man - you have taken the first step into a larger world (of cooking chickens).

But no really, chicken is sooooo cheap and versatile that buying and roasting whole chickens is a decent way to live - full meals, omelettes, sarnies, whatever - it's all good!

:D
2005-07-23, 10:16 PM #16
the only problem with buying whole chickens is that you need a large sharp knife to dismember them, unless you plan to cook them all at once.

fortunately, I have one of these:

(it's a Cutco butcher knife, I used to sell these knives a few years ago and I still have my demo set)
Attachment: 6278/71_1_b.JPG (17,425 bytes)
2005-07-24, 3:56 AM #17
I would always cook them all at once personally - anything you don't eat hot can be easily left to cool and then sandwiched or omeletted up later :)

mmmmmmmmm leftover-tastic

2005-07-24, 8:34 AM #18
Originally posted by Martyn:
I would always cook them all at once personally - anything you don't eat hot can be easily left to cool and then sandwiched or omeletted up later :)

mmmmmmmmm leftover-tastic

meh, I do things differently. I like grilled chicken, so I have to dismember the bird b/c I can't put it on the grill whole. Plus, its kind of fun to cut them up. :p
2005-07-24, 8:37 AM #19
Yeah, cleaving is definitely fun :D

↑ Up to the top!