Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Tired of gaming.
Tired of gaming.
2005-07-23, 8:06 PM #1
I never thought I'd see the day when I got tired of video games. Lately, I've been unable to stick with fun games, such as Destroy all Humans (whom my brother bought), which I'm at a snag and I just quit playing. I also bough Black and White a few days ago, and I've only spent about 4 or 5 hours with it. It's seeming as if I can't get interested enough in the game to continue. In fact, the last game I truly loved to play was Area 51 back in late May. I bought the game, and spent an hour or two playing it daily, and loved the game to death. It was so engrossing..it kept me going not because of a great story, but rather to see what awaited me around the next corner, or to see whether or not I saved earth. But then...I beat it. And amidst my rejoicing, I decided I would turn the game into Gamestop and get credit to buy a new game. I've still got those 30$ to spend at GameStop, but because I don't want to buy a game I'll play for a few hours and then stop, but rather another Area 51.

I'd like ideas or thoughts on what I should do. Overall, I think I'm just bored with summer and ready for school (one more month!), but I've also played a lot of games. If anyone else has had this problem, please tell me what I should do (probably just take a break from video games :rolleyes:)
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-07-23, 8:08 PM #2
Just stop playing games for a while.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-23, 8:09 PM #3
Stop playing somewhat crappy games? :p

Honestly, I haven't been bored with Rome: Total War, CS:S, ZSNES (emulator), Warcraft 3, and a few other titles here and there.
D E A T H
2005-07-23, 8:11 PM #4
I don't play nearly as many video games as I used to. For me it's a mix of not wanting to in favor of doing better things as well as not having the time.

Played a few over the summer since I've had more free time than normal, but over all of last year I hardly played anything. In some ways you somewhat grow out of it and it takes a bit more to hold your attention than it used to.
2005-07-23, 8:21 PM #5
Alright, DJ_Yoshi, I can't play R:TW, CS:S i doubt'll work, and i don't wanna log onto the internet every time i wanna play it because (quote me for truth if you must for a later date) STEAM SUCKS BAD. My computer can't play anything super-recent, because I can't fork over the money for a new computer, so I'll probably be getting an Xbox 360. I can't play much online because i have dial up, probably soon to be satellite.

And if I ever do get into something like WarCraft 3, which I did a few months ago, I get going in the story and then don't play one afternoon and I just can't get into the game again.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-07-23, 8:21 PM #6
Yup, I haven't been serious about gaming since about last year. I've been spending that time browsing these forums and editing those games. :(
DO NOT WANT.
2005-07-23, 8:22 PM #7
You shouldn't refer to a game as "whom."
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-07-23, 8:24 PM #8
Hehe, I noticed that too. :D
DO NOT WANT.
2005-07-23, 8:24 PM #9
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Stop playing somewhat crappy games? :p

Honestly, I haven't been bored with Rome: Total War, CS:S, ZSNES (emulator), Warcraft 3, and a few other titles here and there.[/QUOTE]

Strangelly enough, I'm in the EXACT same position as Yoshi, like, the EXACT same games.

Pick up an emulator for PS1 and go grab your PSX games. I've baught probably 4 or 5 old PS1 games off of E-bay and have now been playing them on my PC. I'm probably going to go and pick up a controller [or a PS controller adaptor] simply because I'm so into these sorts of games again suddenly. Not to mention, San Andreas is pretty annoying without a controller.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-07-23, 8:25 PM #10
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
Alright, DJ_Yoshi, I can't play R:TW, CS:S i doubt'll work, and i don't wanna log onto the internet every time i wanna play it because (quote me for truth if you must for a later date) STEAM SUCKS BAD. My computer can't play anything super-recent, because I can't fork over the money for a new computer, so I'll probably be getting an Xbox 360. I can't play much online because i have dial up, probably soon to be satellite.

And if I ever do get into something like WarCraft 3, which I did a few months ago, I get going in the story and then don't play one afternoon and I just can't get into the game again.

Steam isn't that bad, and there are still Half-Life mods that are played frequently. True, steam is annoying, and I hate it, but I've been playing CS since long before it was in place so I don't mind it so bad. Really, I think it's a lot better than WON (I randomly got "YOUR CD KEY IS IN USE" every single day). WarCraft 3 has a multiplayer aspect you know.

Your excuses seem somewhat invalid to me, but if you don't want to play a game because Steam is a bit of a pain to use...well then excuse me for not pitying you so much. Also--moving to consoles just because your computer sucks is a bad excuse. If you're going to the X-Box 360 because you truly like the franchise, ease of use, etc, by all means go ahead. But I'd at least wait for the damn thing to be publicly shown (all we've got are some pics of a box, and one of a kid playing Halo 2 on one. Honestly, nobody knows what the thing can do, what all games will be on it, etc.)

Either way, I commend myself on (probably) successfully derailing this thread.
D E A T H
2005-07-23, 8:35 PM #11
Alright, Yoshi. I hate steam BECAUSE I have dial-up, one phone line, and parents who care when I'm online because they sometimes want the phone. Steam has so far refused to work in it's offline mode, and hence I'm limited in how much I can play through it (meaning I've hardly played HL2...like..maybe 5 minutes).

And I know WC3 has an MP aspect. I've played it. But I don't enjoy the "OMFG U N00B U SUCK **** OFF AND GO PLAY SP TILL U R GOOD" crap i have to put up with, and since i've got about a 20 game record and maybe 4 wins, it's taking a while to get good, and I don't want to have to put up with that crap until i do.

And I'm sorry that my computer sucks! I can't help it, because I can't really get a job to pay for a new one. I'm moving to the Xbox 360 in particular because whatever games get put on it (I'm expecting it'll prolly end up like it did this last round being the major PC game port) and i get the XBOX collection, which I really would like.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-07-23, 8:39 PM #12
At the lan party, we turned on our computers and steam said "Can't start because you're not online." then gave us the option to start in offline mode. We did, and played CSS till the cows came home. STEAM has NEVER given me issues, and was suprisingly well behaved at the lan party.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-07-23, 8:46 PM #13
When I'm bored of playing games, I edit JK. When I'm bored of editing JK, I play games. When I'm bored of playing games, I edit JK.
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-07-23, 9:37 PM #14
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
Strangelly enough, I'm in the EXACT same position as Yoshi, like, the EXACT same games.

Pick up an emulator for PS1 and go grab your PSX games. I've baught probably 4 or 5 old PS1 games off of E-bay and have now been playing them on my PC. I'm probably going to go and pick up a controller [or a PS controller adaptor] simply because I'm so into these sorts of games again suddenly. Not to mention, San Andreas is pretty annoying without a controller.

JediKirby

Tell me your emulator and configuration. Whenever I pop in one of my games it runs insanely slow (Which I can cope with for say, Final Fantasy Tactics) but the problem is the music is also slow, which is amazing for that game :(
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-07-23, 9:39 PM #15
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
Alright, Yoshi. I hate steam BECAUSE I have dial-up, one phone line, and parents who care when I'm online because they sometimes want the phone. Steam has so far refused to work in it's offline mode, and hence I'm limited in how much I can play through it (meaning I've hardly played HL2...like..maybe 5 minutes).

And I know WC3 has an MP aspect. I've played it. But I don't enjoy the "OMFG U N00B U SUCK **** OFF AND GO PLAY SP TILL U R GOOD" crap i have to put up with, and since i've got about a 20 game record and maybe 4 wins, it's taking a while to get good, and I don't want to have to put up with that crap until i do.

And I'm sorry that my computer sucks! I can't help it, because I can't really get a job to pay for a new one. I'm moving to the Xbox 360 in particular because whatever games get put on it (I'm expecting it'll prolly end up like it did this last round being the major PC game port) and i get the XBOX collection, which I really would like.

It's not the people in WC3's fault you can't just go /ignor *insert name* Trust me, I've done it plenty of times. But if you don't like the MP aspect, then fine. But it's like saying you hate CS because of the people who have annoying voices and use their mics. They're all easily muted.

Either way, I don't think it matters much, because you're not going to listen to me whatever I say.
D E A T H
2005-07-23, 9:41 PM #16
play the SP of Warcraft 3, so you're all set to go when I force you to get WoW when you have a better internet connection.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-07-23, 9:44 PM #17
Actually, WoW works well on 56k.
D E A T H
2005-07-23, 9:47 PM #18
Oh right I forgot about that part.

Replace working well, with works as bad as all the other types of connections. Blizzard ftw.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-07-23, 10:02 PM #19
Wow, all this talk of Playstation emulators made me do some hunting. Looking around and it seems ePSXe is the best emulator out now. Installed it, and wow, nice. I hadn't messed with PSX emulators since Bleem was brand new. I see they've quite improved over the years (and of course processors today can easily handle it).
2005-07-23, 10:03 PM #20
Originally posted by Darth:
Wow, all this talk of Playstation emulators made me do some hunting. Looking around and it seems ePSXe is the best emulator out now. Installed it, and wow, nice. I hadn't messed with PSX emulators since Bleem was brand new. I see they've quite improved over the years (and of course processors today can easily handle it).

The BIOS' are the most important part of ePSXe. Those are mainly what have improved.
D E A T H
2005-07-23, 10:27 PM #21
The early days of Bleem were so awful. I think the only games I owned that it would work with were Crash Bandicoot 1 and 2. I remember it couldn't handle Gran Turismo, FF8, and a bunch of other things.
2005-07-23, 10:35 PM #22
Originally posted by Darth:

Exactly what I found out a couple weeks ago when my PSX wouldn't start up and my PS2 was at the dorms. Last time I'd looked at PSX emulators, they couldn't even run early PSX games.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-07-23, 10:39 PM #23
I was amazed when I popped FF9 in, and it ran flawlessly. Working on ripping all my PSX games then burning them to DVDs now, heh.

Glad I have my XBox controller adapter that I can play all these with.
2005-07-24, 12:02 AM #24
Some servers do have apps that combat the non-steam login. It'll check and after several minutes you'll see someone get kicked for a "non-steam login"
2005-07-24, 12:04 AM #25
I too hate steam, b/c its so unnecessary. Pirates have learned how to de-steam Hl2, so it doesn't affect them. Steam just inconveniences everyone else, especially if you have a slow connection. As stated earlier, offline mode doesn't work worth a damn most of the time.
2005-07-24, 1:33 AM #26
Let me say right now: CS:S bores me to death.

There was a time where I spent months on it. Since that dark time i've learnt there are much better games in the world. CS:S is actually just a really terrible game IMO.

The community is terrible.

If you win too often you get told you 'HAX' even on VAC servers.

No matter what gun you get someone will fault in. So far if I use an AK, Deagle or basic shotgun i'm told i'm using n00b weapons and some inadequate **** kicks you.

Just terrible, if you have the connection BF2 is 10x better.
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/DMC87/f49d0793.gif[/IMG]
2005-07-24, 9:23 AM #27
Originally posted by DMC87:
Let me say right now: CS:S bores me to death.

There was a time where I spent months on it. Since that dark time i've learnt there are much better games in the world. CS:S is actually just a really terrible game IMO.

The community is terrible.

If you win too often you get told you 'HAX' even on VAC servers.

No matter what gun you get someone will fault in. So far if I use an AK, Deagle or basic shotgun i'm told i'm using n00b weapons and some inadequate **** kicks you.

Just terrible, if you have the connection BF2 is 10x better.

Do not condemn CS:S because of the community. I've said this a MILLION times: Find a good server where you know the admins and stick to it. I've been kicked from Battlefield: Vietnam servers for more pointless reasons than I've ever been kicked from a CS:S server, because I always pub on BF:Nam. In CS:S I always go to one of a few servers from [url]www.hardgaming.com[/url] . The admins there are all amazingly good themselves so they're not gonna accuse you of hacking (by amazingly good I mean CPL material. They usually take me to town). Not only that, but they're just really cool people.

The only weapons people ever call noob on those servers are the autoshotty and the autosniper, but I'm sure you can see the reasoning for that. If they call anything else noobish, it's because they're definitely not regulars. And I've never seen an admin ban for use of it. I've seen them slay for camping, and ban for repeated camping, and ban for actual hacks, but never anything for using a weapon.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!