Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → PSX Emulation
PSX Emulation
2005-07-24, 3:51 AM #1
Ok, having read some skirting details of this in another thread, I've suddenly become quite interested in this, mainly die to the fact I have a buttload of old PSX games that I used to play lying around my house, and can't be bothered to go into the loft to dig out my machine, let alone go and unhook my TV from the wall to plug everyting in (it involves dismantling my wall units and stuff).

So questions:

(1) I'm guessing it's legal if you own the machine and the game right? Or else the other thread would've been closed.

(2) As a lot of you know, Geoff (my laptop) is a little old and tempremental - he's a 2.8 GHz Celeron with a SIS on board video thingy and only 256 RAM (of which the video borrows some dedicated memory) - so will he work an emulator ok? Bleem used to be awful.

(3) Where do I find these emulators, and are they reliable and easy to get going? I can be a bit of a retard with such things!
2005-07-24, 6:08 AM #2
Not tring to be *that* guy.. but I'm almost 100% that if you google searched you would find answers to all your questions. Otherwise, I don't have answers for you.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-07-24, 7:01 AM #3
[url]www.zophar.net[/url]
Still here.
2005-07-24, 7:21 AM #4
[QUOTE=Nightmare JG][url]www.zophar.net[/url][/QUOTE]

Cheers bud!

That's the sort of thing I was after :)
2005-07-24, 8:30 AM #5
Here are some PERFECTLY LEGAL pointers:

ePSXe is the best (free) Playstation emulator. You should use ePSXe 1.5.2. as opposed to the latest 1.6.0. for a few games (Final Fantasy 9, Chrono Cross).

You will need plugins from here:
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/psplugins.html

I recommend Eternal SPU 1.41 for sound.

P.E.Op.S. PSX Soft (there is another plugin with a similar name, you're looking for the one under CDR) for the CD-Rom plugin if intend on running the game form the CD (not recommended). Search google for ways to make an ISO of your game disk (legal backup, really). With a laptop CD-Rom drive especially (which tend to be rather cheap) I doubt you will get away without stutters and slow loading times from the CD, especially will Full Motion Videos from games like Final Fantasy.

Pete's GPU Plugins (specifically, the OpenGL ones) are considered to be the best graphics plugins around (using hardware acceleration). HOWEVER, while you have enough Mhz your graphics card is subpar. You should use a software plugins instead. P.E.Op.S. PSX Soft GPU is the best in that category. Mess around with some of the options and don't expect to be able to run the games in high resolutions this way.

I'm not sure if the last piece is legal or not: you need to acquire a PS1 BIOS. If you own a PS1 you already have a copy of it and can just download a BIN duplicate from the internet. I can't help you there. However, I can tell you this much: SCPH7502. Nothing more.

PLEASE NOTE that the above BIOS number is located on most PS1s on one of the stickers on the console. I stated a piece of information Sony itself was nice enough to share.
2005-07-24, 8:37 AM #6
yeah that's the only thing you need to try to find and not only that... you'll want the right BIOS... in your case the UK BIOS

is it legal to download the BIOS... not technically... which is why i don't link to places where you can download it
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-07-24, 11:05 AM #7
Yay, I started a revolution! Everyone's getting back into their PSX games!

I'm going to try and find a SEGA emulator, but I don't want to have to pay money for a cartridge to PC USP thinger. And honestly, pirating roms is harder than it's worth. I REALLY love Sega games, though... maybe I'll just get a sega gen off of EBAY!

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-07-24, 11:07 AM #8
I love my mega drive - I have an emulator, but the real thing is much much better! Value for money guaranteed!

Considering we had a PS2 - the Megadrive got much more use last year in my student house!
2005-07-24, 11:26 AM #9
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:

I'm going to try and find a SEGA emulator, but I don't want to have to pay money for a cartridge to PC USP thinger. And honestly, pirating roms is harder than it's worth. I REALLY love Sega games, though... maybe I'll just get a sega gen off of EBAY!

JediKirby

Are you daft? Pirating ROMs is cake. And the PS2->USB converter I use was only like 5 bucks (granted the right analog stick doesn't work right and there's no feedback, but still it works).
D E A T H
2005-07-24, 11:58 AM #10
you can get a used genesis for $5 very easily from a rummage sale... ebay might be a different story (especially considering it would cost more than $5 to ship one)
2005-07-24, 11:59 AM #11
Last I checked, you can't dump ROM through a controller...
2005-07-24, 12:12 PM #12
Is it still legal if the console itself is broken? Because I have alot of Genesis games and a broken Genesis. And I miss my games :(
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-07-24, 12:26 PM #13
Out of sheer boredom, I decided to compare them.

Took screenshots of the same spot in FF9, Emulator and Playstation, and note the huge differences (Vivi's eyes for example). Little quality degredation on the PSX one since it was taken through a TV capture card, but it's still pretty apparent how much worse it looks.

PSX
PC
2005-07-24, 12:51 PM #14
/me emulates
2005-07-24, 1:48 PM #15
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
you can get a used genesis for $5 very easily from a rummage sale... ebay might be a different story (especially considering it would cost more than $5 to ship one)

I got a mega-drive for £2 down the market. But I'll take a guess that americans don't have markets every week or car boots.
nope.
2005-07-24, 3:37 PM #16
Originally posted by Boco:
I got a mega-drive for £2 down the market. But I'll take a guess that americans don't have markets every week or car boots.

we have what we call a flea market... but usually prices tend to be a little jacked up to compensate for space rental fees
2005-07-25, 3:09 PM #17

JediKirby

Just fyi, Gens is THE BEST emulator for Sega Genesis. 97% of all roms work correctly, 2% have minor problems, and 1% don't work at all.:)
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-07-25, 3:16 PM #18
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Are you daft? Pirating ROMs is cake. And the PS2->USB converter I use was only like 5 bucks (granted the right analog stick doesn't work right and there's no feedback, but still it works).[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about a sega cart to PC bay. I'm not even sure they make them, but if they do...

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-07-25, 3:51 PM #19
i think there are devices that do what you want...

as far as genesis emulators go... Gens and Fusion are the best

Doom 32X shot taken in an early version of Fusion (current version is 3.4)
2005-07-25, 3:53 PM #20
I'm talking about a sega cart to PC bay. I'm not even sure they make them, but if they do...

JediKirby

They make everything. How else do you think the ROMs got on the computer in the first place?
D E A T H
2005-07-26, 4:28 AM #21
[url]www.arcadeathome.com[/url] Everything you need... :rolleyes:
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2005-07-26, 2:24 PM #22
Yay I'm playing Chrono Cross!
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.

↑ Up to the top!