Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Question about cleaning a car
Question about cleaning a car
2005-07-24, 5:33 PM #1
So, I got a new car last weekend, but it was parked under a tree for two months, and is covered in tree sap. Two thorough carwashes did not vanquish this foe, and the guy at the wash said the car would need to be detailed.

Pros: It would [he says] get the sap off.

Cons: it's mighty expensive.

Anyone know if this would infact get the sap off? Or do you know any better ways to get sap off? Are there any solutions or cleaners I could buy and apply myself?

Thanks!
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-07-24, 5:34 PM #2
Go down to the local auto parts store. I'm sure they have stuff for getting sap off the car.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-24, 6:09 PM #3
I could think of plenty of things, but they would probably damage the paint and/or corrode the car.
2005-07-24, 6:19 PM #4
I had the same problem with my WHITE car. I got some Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover. It's in a white tub. Worked like a charm. Just pick up some wax while you're at the store to go over the spots you had to polish. My car is no longer white and yellow spotted :) Good luck.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-07-24, 7:17 PM #5
Maynoise
And pitch remover. They make the stuff, I use it all the time on my feet because I walk around barefoot and there's a ton of pitch always on our driveway.
2005-07-24, 7:21 PM #6
[QUOTE=Squirrel King]Maynoise
And pitch remover. They make the stuff, I use it all the time on my feet because I walk around barefoot and there's a ton of pitch always on our driveway.[/QUOTE]

I'm 90% certain that'll skin the car down to pure metal. Mayonnaisse and paint do not mix.
D E A T H
2005-07-24, 7:53 PM #7
Mayonaise will remove tree sap, no joke. Although you might want to test it on a non-visible area first...

If you're not into smearing your car with condiments, there should be a range of speciality bug / tar / sap removers at your local auto store.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-07-24, 9:19 PM #8
Lick it off. I hear it tastes good.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-07-24, 9:59 PM #9
I have found citrus bug remover to be worthless (against bugs). I strongly recommend a product called Castrol Super Clean. It is similar to Simple Green in that it is biodegradable. And if it does fail to work on the sap it will still come quite handy for wheels and other stubborn dirt. It is also an excellent degreaser and will even clean driveway stains. You can find it inexpensively in Wal-Mart and other places.

edit - although an aerosol can of citrus bug remover did work well against some adhesive. You could pick both up especially since they will come in handy later anyway.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-07-25, 1:07 AM #10
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I'm 90% certain that'll skin the car down to pure metal. Mayonnaisse and paint do not mix.[/QUOTE]
Don't be ridiculous. Mayonnaisse is no where near strong enough to strip paint. What's in it, vinegar? You'll be lucky to take paint off with vinegar if you soak it for a week. And then take into account the hard, durable finish on most cars.

dud, you might try over the counter cleaners like 409. Bathroom tile cleaners might work as well. Neither should damage the finish, but I can't be sure. If you can find sap remover at an auto store, go with that as you can be sure it's safe. Vinegar might also work.

Also, just Google "removing tree sap from car"
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-07-25, 11:11 AM #11
Originally posted by Emon:
Don't be ridiculous. Mayonnaisse is no where near strong enough to strip paint. What's in it, vinegar? You'll be lucky to take paint off with vinegar if you soak it for a week. And then take into account the hard, durable finish on most cars.

dud, you might try over the counter cleaners like 409. Bathroom tile cleaners might work as well. Neither should damage the finish, but I can't be sure. If you can find sap remover at an auto store, go with that as you can be sure it's safe. Vinegar might also work.

Also, just Google "removing tree sap from car"

You forgot it's made of vinegar and eggs. Eggs and paint don't agree.
D E A T H
2005-07-25, 11:19 AM #12
Originally posted by Wookie06:
it will still come quite handy for wheels and other stubborn dirt.

hmmmm. I use stainless steel cleaner on my rims, and that works great too.

↑ Up to the top!