Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Buy A Real Lightsaber! (Well sort of....)
Buy A Real Lightsaber! (Well sort of....)
2005-07-26, 4:34 PM #1
The company known as future horizons has took popular technogly from movies and have tried to make them as real as possible. For example they made a $9,000 hover board that'll list you an inch off the ground.

Added to there list is a "real" lightsaber. By real, I mean that it uses real cool plasma. The ones in Star Wars use hot, but scientifcaly this beam of energy is the REAL STUFF!!! It can't cut through anything but its definitly a leap towards making a fully functional lightsaber. The plasma is encased in a glass tube, and looks a lot like the real thing. Here's the site:

http://www.futurehorizons.net/saber.htm

Anyone up for a little lightsaber action???

-KnightRider2000
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2005-07-26, 4:38 PM #2
You can never make a truly functional lightsaber. (as stated today)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-07-26, 4:45 PM #3
They look cool.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-26, 4:46 PM #4
Fully functional tdoay maybe, but if in the future we can find a new energy source and a way to magnetically cool down the area around the beam............

-KnightRider2000

-G Man
2005-07-26, 4:49 PM #5
And somehow stop the beam in mid air.
nope.
2005-07-26, 4:51 PM #6
Originally posted by Boco:
And somehow stop the beam in mid air.

There already HAS been away. Magnets. You can control area by usuing a magnetic field. But just don't walk to close to a refridgerator.......

-G Man
2005-07-26, 4:53 PM #7
Of course, you need an atomic field generator and a proton stabilization unit connected to power singularity output...
2005-07-26, 4:58 PM #8
Originally posted by Echoman:
Of course, you need an atomic field generator and a proton stabilization unit connected to power singularity output...

True. Some say it's impossible to put inside a lightsaber. Tell that to the guys who made a supercomputer the size of a house fit into your pocket.

-KnightRider2000

-G Man
2005-07-26, 5:00 PM #9
I want something thats semi-realistic, that is also designed so that I can beat on someone with it.
2005-07-26, 5:00 PM #10
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
True. Some say it's impossible to put inside a lightsaber. Tell that to the guys who made a supercomputer the size of a house fit into your pocket.

-KnightRider2000

er...
2005-07-26, 5:05 PM #11
er...

My thoughts exactly.

This even beats that guy a few years ago, who said soviets had a sattelite that could make out a penny on the sidewalk in New York.. and that they had this sattelite before the Cold war..

Anyone else remember that? It was on one of those OMG MOON LANDING WAS FAKE LOL threads.
2005-07-26, 5:07 PM #12
That website is completly bunk. For example, it says
Quote:
Most scientists now agree that time travel is possible. The theory of relativity allows it.

When the theory of relativity actually exspressly forbids it. The whole reason nothing can travel faster than light is because it breaks causality.

Also I can't fight with those sabers. I'd have more fun with a broom stick.
2005-07-26, 5:07 PM #13
Thats funny, 'cause where the hell would they have gotten the money to fund that? :p (to Rob)
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-07-26, 5:12 PM #14
You guys don't get it. It's not supposed to be able to cut an arm off. It just shows that a cool plasma beam can be used to create a "lightsaber". Advanced technogly is needed to be able to make a real killing lance, but for now, we can look at it. Check it out:

http://www.exn.ca/starwars/plasmasaber.cfm

We are a LONG way off from real sabers, but with a little of making a supercomputer a PSP, we can do it.

-KnightRider2000

-G Man
2005-07-26, 5:18 PM #15
And of course they aren't going to make it lop people's arms off... that would just scream for lawsuits. :rolleyes:
DO NOT WANT.
2005-07-26, 5:20 PM #16
KnightRider, we need a power singularity output device, one that handles matter and energy that alternates between high and low velocity, that has to be so small. I think the Swiss (correct if I'm wrong) made one the size of 10 washing machines. Do you think, in the future, we could make them portable?
2005-07-26, 5:25 PM #17
Do you think, in the future, we could make them portable? :confused:

I like to keep on open-mind. I believe a person like you had a similar question about the propestrous idea of...get this.... landing on the moon!!! He asked how in the world would you get the energy to escape Earth's gravity.

You have to keep an open mind Echoman. If they can make a hand-held laser that could blind pilots from the ground (remeber that little news story?) from one the size of a car that could barely hit the side of the wall, what can we expect in the future? I believe as far a micronizing technology, anything is possible, seeing the patterns from the past.

-KnightRider2000

-G Man
2005-07-26, 5:33 PM #18
I concur. Prehaps, in the future, we can somehow ionize the energy and matter from the proton stabilization ray (or whatever it was called, I forget) to make the blade shape (because ionized energy can be manipulated to form neat shapes.) . Maybe we can use powerful anti-matter, when we are able to produce it. The anti-matter is the key to making the ionized energy to be stable, useable and quite cool! (But I don't know about the radiation though, matter/energy accelerated through an outlet can cause problems.)

Come celebrate, KnightRider! *dances*
2005-07-26, 5:36 PM #19
Originally posted by JM:
When the theory of relativity actually exspressly forbids it. The whole reason nothing can travel faster than light is because it breaks causality.

It doesn't quite forbid it, you could "technically" go back, but going forward is currently not allowed.

However one downside is that you need to be in a black-hole to be able to go back and you can only go back to before the black-hole was formed and you would find yourself inside a Sun....

Its only "theorised" btw, the main problem is getting to the actual singularity of the black-hole, as soon as anything passes the event horizon we aren't all sure what actually happens, time could become infinite...we're assuming you reach the singularity before the end of time... :p

As for the sabres...cool but I'm not that much of a geek...
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2005-07-26, 5:57 PM #20
I thought Einstein's modified force equation said that you needed an infinite amount of force to accelarate past the speed of light.

Anyway, given enough time, we'll all have landspeeders and be bullseyeing womp rats with T16s.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-07-26, 6:09 PM #21
[QUOTE=- Tony -]I thought Einstein's modified force equation said that you needed an infinite amount of force to accelarate past the speed of light.[/QUOTE]
correct, but normal physics don't apply inside a black-hole, most of the ideas for time travel using black holes comes from Hawkin I think, none of it goes against Einstein as he never really considered black holes.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2005-07-26, 6:13 PM #22
This thread astounds me...

SIKE.
2005-07-26, 6:35 PM #23
Umm...the technology to hover an inch above the ground has been around for a while. So..umm...in other words,

old news.

[Futureposted]
2005-07-26, 7:22 PM #24
[QUOTE=- Tony -]Anyway, given enough time, we'll all have landspeeders and be bullseyeing womp rats with T16s.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and we'll finally have the technologly to recover one of those Drive-In copies of Episode IV A New Hope! Man I want to see those deleted scenes of Luke and Biggs on tatooine!

-G Man
2005-07-26, 7:25 PM #25
Actually it's going back that's the problem. Leaping forward in time doesn't cause any of those nice paradoxes. I read a logic problem involving a train. A person on the train shines a light. When a person standing at the station sees this light, they turn on their own light. The problem is, if the train exceeds the speed of light, the person on the train will see the light at the station before they have turned on their own light. However, the person at the station still saw the light on the train first. Thus, causality is borked.
2005-07-26, 7:46 PM #26
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
Yeah and we'll finally have the technologly to recover one of those Drive-In copies of Episode IV A New Hope! Man I want to see those deleted scenes of Luke and Biggs on tatooine!

I have those!

They are on the: 'Star Wars - Behind the Magic' CD-ROM, which is almost as old as JK, but still... It's low quality, but very cool!
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2005-07-26, 8:52 PM #27
Look my friends, don't you see the ignorance inherant in saying what is and is not possible in the future?

At the beginning of the 19th century we were certain that man could not construct a device to fly. Look at us now.

I could go on and on with example after example about the earth being flat and or the center of the universe and bla bla bla. The future will prove time and time again for ever and ever that what we believe to be impossible will be made possible by someone that we label a crazy person. To think that we're any more open minded than our ancestors were is a joke. They thought the earth was flat because people before them had said it was flat. They were told that the earth is flat. They believed it. We are told this and that every day. What is possible and what is not. How are we to believe that we're as advanced as it gets? How can we sit and think that new technology will not be invented? To think that what we have now is the end of the line? And we're simply going to refine this technology forever? That is idiotic.

You're telling me that you know a lightsaber will never be invented? The real deal will never exist. Well I'm telling you that you are wrong. It is indeed possible, and it will happen sooner or later.

The UNIVAC was the size of a large room. We have computers today far more powerful which we routinely carry around with us. They're called laptops and pda's. A 1GB hard drive was huge in the mid 90's. I have a 20 gig iPod ten years later. And it's not a big deal at all.

My point is, if you don't think there will ever be any more huge advancements, which we never dreamed possible, you're a fool.
>>untie shoes
2005-07-26, 10:17 PM #28
Originally posted by JM:
When the theory of relativity actually exspressly forbids it.

Just a quick point.

It's called a theory for a reason.
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-07-27, 2:47 AM #29
Originally posted by FullMetal:
Just a quick point.

It's called a theory for a reason.

You have no idea what a theory means in the scientific world, do you?
2005-07-27, 6:34 AM #30
[QUOTE=Lord Kuat]You have no idea what a theory means in the scientific world, do you?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure he's fully aware. I don't think you know what he was getting at--the Theory of Relativity has been proven (in 'thought experiments' (on which a lot of the theory is based)) to break down at certain points in the universe, and there's no telling what happens in things such as a singularity and at the edges of the universe.
D E A T H
2005-07-27, 6:54 AM #31
A real lightsaber, eh... It would probably be outrageously expensive, if ever plausible. It would be far too dangerous to let anywhere near kids (who are the ones most wanting to have one). It would probably be far less efficient considering energy and price than normal electric tools for actual work, like cutting wood. It would be next to useless as a weapon.

The only possible customers would be decadent millionaires. I wonder if there are enough of those around to fund the research and manufacturing.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-07-27, 9:30 AM #32
I really doubt that "lightsaber" is nothing more than a neon tube with sound effects. Plasma? Are you serious?

Anyway, all that site is, is bull. Not only do they not really have anything that doesn't seem very fishy,( come on, "Makes an astral projection of yourself so you can go through time any way you wish"), but if half of the things they had on there worked, they would have been picked up by some company already, especially with that hoverboard. Like that "time machine" off napoleon dynamite.
2005-07-27, 10:05 AM #33
Quote:
Phaser Pistol
This device emits a high powered burst of focused light to temporarily blind an attacker for several minutes. Simple handheld device.

Wow, they're selling a lamp! :eek:
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-07-27, 11:44 AM #34
Originally posted by matrixhacker:
I really doubt that "lightsaber" is nothing more than a neon tube with sound effects. Plasma? Are you serious?

Neon=Plasma (Electricley charged gas)

If it was hot Plasma, in a magnetic field it would be 100% real.

-KnightRider2000

P.S. THANK YOU BILL!!! Finally someone who understands.

-G Man
2005-07-27, 12:13 PM #35
I'd rather have a real katana.

It would atually work the way its supposed to.
2005-07-27, 12:31 PM #36
There's been some theories dabbled around the interweb about how lightsabers would work. One theory is that a very thin filament of electrons spinning at a high rate should shear off other electrons in atoms thus breaking bonds and "cutting" the material. Of course, you have to deal with the gamma rays. I'm not well versed in this area of physics so feel free to confirm/deny plausability of this
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-07-27, 2:05 PM #37
Lightsabers will NEVER be possible in the sense that lightsabers use a fictional energy that doesn't even exist. However, something LIKE a lightsaber with the same function could be possible.

That aside, a lightsaber is totally impractical. If you want something to cut through people, use a katana. If you want something to cut through bulkheads, use a laser. It's totally possible to have a miniature nuclear reactor to power a portable laser (eventually).
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-07-27, 8:59 PM #38
I don't know much of anything about physics/chemistry and the like, but I can tell you that lightsabers made like the SW ones, will never work. I can't really explain my reasons, because I'm sure I'd have you all shouting that what I said goes against some physics law or something, but I do think that if technology keeps advancing (and it will, because that's human) we should be able to build something that has the same concept of a lightsaber, just done differently.

But how about blaster pistols? I don't think we'll ever because to make those either, because what is going to stop the laser?

I built a time machine once out a a cardboard box. I had people step in for five seconds, and they'd step out of it five seconds later. OMQ >_> <_< MAGICCKKXXSS
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-07-28, 7:16 AM #39
I don't know if this was mentioned above (running out of time on dialup :( but the lightsaber controls the length by focusing the beam to a point where it just bends back on itself. The inner workings would have to be completely redefined for it to ever exist as-is
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-07-28, 10:32 AM #40
RADICAL, DUDE!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}

↑ Up to the top!