Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → PSP update 2.0
PSP update 2.0
2005-07-28, 3:22 AM #1
In case you guess havent caught on yet, the update for 2.0 has been released.
I tried it out and im really glad that they added a wallpaper function. However, the internet is a bit sluggish.

Here are the changes:

Main function updated in system software version 2.0
- Network
Internet browser added
* Macromedia Flash is not supported. A part of the web pages might not be displayed correctly
* The startup of the internet browser can be limited.

- Video
Jump function added (UMD Video & UMD Music)
A-B repeat function added (UMD Video & UMD Music & videos stored in Memory sticks)
"4:3 mode" added to Video mode (videos stored in Memory sticks)
Sound mute function added (videos stored in Memory sticks)
MP4 (AVC) format playback support added (videos stored in Memory sticks)

-Music
Can accept music tracks in Atract3 Plus format from "Sonicstage" under version 3.2 (now for pre-order)
MP4 (AAC) & Wave (Linear PCM) format playback support added (music stored in Memory sticks)

- Photo
Wallpaper function added
Image receiving function added
TIFF, GIF, PNG, BMP format supported

- Settings
"Korean language" added to "System settings" -> "System language"
"Character set" added to "System settings"
"Theme settings" added
"Internet browser startup limit" added to "Security settings"
"WPA-PSK (TKIP)" added to security method in "Network settings"
Keyboard now support web input.
* All the setting before the upgrade will be preserved.

It has has a theme changer that changes the colour of the interface.

You can download the update here:

http://www.pspupdates.com/2005/07/psp-system-software-version-20-update.html
\(='_'=)/
2005-07-28, 3:25 AM #2
Does it support third party software yet?
2005-07-28, 3:32 AM #3
If you still hav version 1.0, or 1.5 you can run home brewed software such as SNES, GBA emulators. However, if you have 1.51 or above you can't. So th answer is no, it doesnt officially support 3rd party software yet.
\(='_'=)/
2005-07-28, 4:18 AM #4
Unfortunately I updated my PSP to 1.51. Also there are no games for it. It's the only console I've ever bought that I actually regretted buying.
2005-07-28, 5:14 AM #5
Are 1.0 and 1.5 versions still available?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-07-28, 7:33 AM #6
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Unfortunately I updated my PSP to 1.51. Also there are no games for it. It's the only console I've ever bought that I actually regretted buying.

So you don't like the best puzzle game since Tetris? You're freakin looney.

The games I have at the moment are:

Wipeout (Good, but hard. TONS of free online updates too)
Ridge Racer (Awesome graphics, and pretty fun also)
Lumines (Best game of 2005. No, really.)
Rengoku (Avoid like the freaking plague)

And I will be getting soon:
Guilty Gear
Sonic

Oh, and to anyone who was looking at "Splinter Cell" for DS needs to stop now and watch the review X-Play gave for it. They rated it a 1/5, for absolutely horrendous framerate issues. And I'd tend to agree. There's this one scene they show where the gameplay stops for no apparent reason for over 10 SECONDS. And it's ugly as hell, and looks like something that came out of JK.
2005-07-28, 7:35 AM #7
Originally posted by Echoman:
Are 1.0 and 1.5 versions still available?

1.5, yes. But only at a couple stores. Look at the box's barcode. If there is an A or nothing directly above the barcode, its 1.5. If it has a B above the barcode, it is 1.51.

Besides that, I find switching to Firmware 2.0 to be a completely stupid move if you have 1.0 or 1.5. I am waiting until 2.0 will be cracked before upgrading. I much perfer all the awesome homebrew programs and emulators to one single web browser. And I could already change the backgrounds myself.
2005-07-28, 9:20 AM #8
Quote:
Oh, and to anyone who was looking at "Splinter Cell" for DS needs to stop now and watch the review X-Play gave for it. They rated it a 1/5, for absolutely horrendous framerate issues. And I'd tend to agree. There's this one scene they show where the gameplay stops for no apparent reason for over 10 SECONDS. And it's ugly as hell, and looks like something that came out of JK.

I've almost beaten the game and my game has never frozen for 10 seconds or slowed down as bad as people say it should. The framerate has never gotten horrible. It's gotten bad at small small parts, but nothing to stop you from enjoying the game to...THE MAXXXX.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-07-28, 11:13 AM #9
1.5 is hardkôr. \m/

But yeah, everything they did in 2.0 can be done homebrew style, and then some. But it's good to see they're giving all those who upgraded support for things that the homebrew community has been making.
D E A T H
2005-07-28, 11:22 AM #10
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]So you don't like the best puzzle game since Tetris? You're freakin looney.[/QUOTE]
Lumines was not worth three hundred and fifty dollars.
2005-07-28, 11:24 AM #11
Wow...
2005-07-28, 11:49 AM #12
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Lumines was not worth three hundred and fifty dollars.

Then you should've waited for the PSP vanilla model?

Seriously, I love mine to death even though I've only got two games (Lumines and wipeout). I'm probably going to pick up Ac!d or Coded Arms soon--both games that got mediocre reviews but are still supposed to be awesome.
D E A T H
2005-07-28, 1:40 PM #13
Meanwhile in Britland, the Psp isn't out yet and won't be for 2 months. Damnit.
nope.
2005-07-28, 1:42 PM #14
One of these handhelds needs to get a decent RTS, and I'll buy one.
2005-07-28, 2:40 PM #15
I updated to 1.51 before I knew what Homebrew was, so I'm happy to have this update.

So Lumines is that good, huh? I'll have to pick it up, then. The only game I have right now is Twisted Metal. I've been using my PSP to play music, mostly. I'm really looking forward to Liberty City Stories this fall.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-07-28, 4:37 PM #16
Originally posted by silent_killa:
So the answer is no, it doesn't officially support 3rd party software yet.

You'd think sony would have learned about how 3rd party licensing is a good thing after the betamax. And a homebrew community can only help sales.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2005-07-28, 6:58 PM #17
Originally posted by Rob:
One of these handhelds needs to get a decent RTS, and I'll buy one.

Age of Empires and maybe StarCraft will be on the Nintendo DS. With the pen and touchscreen, RTS heaven.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-07-28, 7:34 PM #18
I got my PSP for 50 dollars. TAKE THAT ALL!!

But seriously, I still don't know what firmware I have yet. I've got a feeling it's 1.50, but right now it's at my grandparents house, and I'm in New York, so I can't play it.

I am DEFINITLY getting either Lumines or Wipeout when I get home, probably Lumines, for more of a replayability thing. Although Wipeout I can play with other people, so that's cool. I forget whether Lumines has some type of MP mode or not.

Also, Jon, what did you get with your PSP. Did you buy it off EBGames, because the PSP + game should only be 300 dollars.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-07-28, 7:44 PM #19
Originally posted by Sol:
Age of Empires and maybe StarCraft will be on the Nintendo DS. With the pen and touchscreen, RTS heaven.

Hold on. I have to change my pants.
2005-07-28, 7:46 PM #20
Originally posted by mscbuck:
I got my PSP for 50 dollars. TAKE THAT ALL!!

But seriously, I still don't know what firmware I have yet. I've got a feeling it's 1.50, but right now it's at my grandparents house, and I'm in New York, so I can't play it.

I am DEFINITLY getting either Lumines or Wipeout when I get home, probably Lumines, for more of a replayability thing. Although Wipeout I can play with other people, so that's cool. I forget whether Lumines has some type of MP mode or not.

Also, Jon, what did you get with your PSP. Did you buy it off EBGames, because the PSP + game should only be 300 dollars.

No, the PSP costs 274 or something after tax. A game added on it ends up about 330-340.

Lumines has MP, but it's kinda lame.
D E A T H
2005-07-28, 7:57 PM #21
Meteos > Lumines

Not turning this into a flame, but I disagree with best puzzler of the year. Meteos has killer SP AND MP, while Lumine's MP is lacking in comparison
2005-07-28, 9:04 PM #22
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
Meteos > Lumines

Not turning this into a flame, but I disagree with best puzzler of the year. Meteos has killer SP AND MP, while Lumine's MP is lacking in comparison

I haven't played Meteos in comparison, but with my long stints in Lumines I'll have to say this much--you just don't know until you own a PSP and spend five solid hours staring at color changing blocks with the music grooving along.

:|
D E A T H
2005-07-28, 10:01 PM #23
You can play Meteos in just the same way though. Can play it for hours, and once you shut it off your brain is still trying to match up the damn colors

Plus there's so many unlockables.
2005-07-28, 11:21 PM #24
i actualy like the 2.0 update. i didnt pay 250 dollars to play tetris and astroids so loosing homebrew isnt kicking my ***. besides. the web browser is nice to have when your taking a massive crap and need to check somthing online.

an addicting game i recommend is hot shots golf. im no golf fan but for some reason thats been the most addicting game ive had on the psp so far.

i have :
Tony hawk
Wipeout
Twisted Metal
NBA
Hotshots
2005-07-29, 7:09 AM #25
Originally posted by lobstersoap:
i actualy like the 2.0 update. i didnt pay 250 dollars to play tetris and astroids so loosing homebrew isnt kicking my ***. besides. the web browser is nice to have when your taking a massive crap and need to check somthing online.

Or Chrono Trigger, or Super Mario World, or Sonic, or Street Fighter ... well, you get the idea.

Plus, chances are, there will be a 10x better browser available via homebrew for the PSP soon enough.
2005-07-29, 8:32 AM #26
whys everyone complaining about the browser speed? did you get the 56k psp?

mine runs really well throughout the whole house.definatly way faster than the wipeout browser trick.
and besides do i really need my psp to play all those emulators?

i could go pay 5 bucks and get a game gear from the pawn shop.
2005-07-29, 8:36 AM #27
im not telling anyone to upgrade. im just saying i like the upgrade.

so you guys gana avoid all the further updates or somthing? i bet eventualy you guys give in to the dark side. when they release all that bogus crap theyve been showing off in japan.
2005-07-29, 9:08 AM #28
CM, as much as you're defending the homebrew scene, I have to say that none of those games work decently at 222MHz (the default), nor do they have great quality. And there's no guarantee that any browser will be ported to the PSP period--just the thought that maybe it will. It's like saying "Yeah, well opensource might have a fully 3D GUI within the next few years! Take that Windows!"

The keyword there is MIGHT.
D E A T H
2005-07-29, 11:04 AM #29
Emulation, even when it comes to SNES games, is not anywhere near full speed right now. Playing games with Frameskip of 2 and above makes them "playable," sure, but the experience is severely hampered this way, and many games (Chrono Trigger, Yohi's Island, which also happen to be some of the best) do not run at decent speeds at all. I've found that a lot of these games simple aren't any fun right now: the sluggishness brought forth by a combination of high frame skip values and generally less than stellar FPS create too severe of an obstacle to actually making these games fun and responsive.

I also question the future these programs have on the PSP. For one, some of your are overestimating what can be done with emulation on the system. Figuring out how to use the graphics chip of the PSP to anywhere near its full potential for homebrew software is going to require a big, long term committment. You might as well buy a PSP next year if you want all of your SNES games to work at full speed, and maybe by then they'll actually have a decent GBA emulator out.

And even more problems come with Sony's persistence to implement new firmware for their system. I'm curious as to what some of you intend to do: never upgrade at all? Never play any new games? Sony is just going to continue fixing exploits and making the firmware detection programs of new games more sophisticated. The 2.0 firmware already has some ugly security features implemented (undocumented, of course, but mentioned on PSPUpdates regardless because of their severe nature). You might survive without GTA Liberty Stories...but how many other people will?
2005-07-29, 11:22 AM #30
Nevermind matty, you're right, you're always right. Not like projects have ever gone under. :rolleyes:
D E A T H
2005-07-29, 11:34 AM #31
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]CM, as much as you're defending the homebrew scene, I have to say that none of those games work decently at 222MHz (the default), nor do they have great quality. And there's no guarantee that any browser will be ported to the PSP period--just the thought that maybe it will. It's like saying "Yeah, well opensource might have a fully 3D GUI within the next few years! Take that Windows!"

The keyword there is MIGHT.[/QUOTE]

Sonic (all games) run 99-100% fine at 333mhz. And you'd be crazy to run ANY emu at 222mhz anymore. There's no danger to it, and the battery life change is minimal. (I did a hardcore test of this a while back, the 333mhz option does not make THAT much of a difference.) And Sonic DEFINATELY has good quality.

As for Street Fighter, it also runs perfectly.

Chrono Trigger doesn't run smoothly, but it is far from unplayable.

And as far as graphics quality, Bilinear Filtering is being implemented on emulators which can also add to the graphics quality (moreso than even the original consoles) without an FPS hit. See the latest SNES emulators for proof of this development.

On top of this, there is no MIGHT. There already is a browser in development, that WORKS, but isn't ready for full usage yet. (Currently only browses a few sites)

I would not be suprised if there was a fully functional browser in competition with the PSP's own in 1 month.

↑ Up to the top!