Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Cell phone woes ( water damage )
Cell phone woes ( water damage )
2005-07-29, 9:07 AM #1
Anyone have any experience fixing a cell phone that has taken a short splash in the ocean? Store where I got it from won't fix it, and turns out the cell phone I might have switched to anyway was incompatible with Verizon. So i'm either stuck with trying to fix it, or buy another one ( which I don't want to do, but if I have to). So does anyone have any experience fixing a phone that fell into water? It plain out won't turn on at all.
2005-07-29, 9:11 AM #2
Let it sit for a few days.. anytime I had a phone get wet once they dry up they work just fine.

Buy insurance for you phone.. or you'll regret it later.. like when your 2 month old $400 video camera phone gets run over by a truck... and then your stuck using your ****ty old one that the screens don't work and it's sprints fault and they don't give a ****.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-07-29, 9:30 AM #3
My friend has dropped his in the lake a few times... he's just taken it apart and let it dry, then put it back together and it works fine.
2005-07-29, 10:36 AM #4
If it was in the ocean you might have a problem with it even after it dries, being that this is salt water and the salt will still be in there.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-07-29, 11:23 AM #5
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
Let it sit for a few days.. anytime I had a phone get wet once they dry up they work just fine.

That's what I did, and I managed to get a few more months out of my phone. Open up everything you can, take the battery out and it should dry out alright.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-29, 12:27 PM #6
If it fell in the sea, dismantle it and rinse it under warm water , then leave it to dry.

I dropped my phone in a toilet a few years back at work (AFTER flushing it thank god) and after I took it apart and left it to dry it was fine. Dropping it in beer is another problem but rinsing and drying should take care of it.
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-07-29, 10:10 PM #7
If you tried to power it on before it was dry it's totally dead. Ocean water rapes electronics. If you somehow resisted the urge to try and power it up, you'd need to totally wash it off with as pure of water as possible and let it completely dry again.

Likely though, electricity short circuited through every sensitive part of that phone and it's gone forever.

QM (loser of 2 different cell phones to ocean water)
2005-07-29, 10:18 PM #8
Droped it in the ocean while in Cali. Bought a new one.
2005-07-30, 12:08 AM #9
I also puked on a phone once.. it worked the next day.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-07-30, 2:05 AM #10
One of my workmates had perfume spilled all over her cellphone. The screen was darkened for a while, but I think it's going fine now.
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2005-07-30, 9:03 AM #11
When drying, a good idea would be to leave it on top of your monitor. The dry heat emitted will dry it a helluva lot faster.
Moo.
2005-07-30, 9:23 AM #12
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to try and take it apart, clean it with water, and leave it under the heat lamp, see if it works. Now to find a screwdriver small enough to open it.
2005-07-30, 2:33 PM #13
You guys got lucky with your cell phones. I fell into a lake once (dog pulled on leash, I stepped on sharp rock) and I tried a bunch of things but it was dead.
No sig.

↑ Up to the top!