Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Do *you* live with intensity?
Do *you* live with intensity?
2005-07-30, 6:03 AM #1
Mix it up!

There was a time when I would limit the depths of my life as much as possible by being defensive, and shutting out all that could emotionally affect me. Now I realized that you can't choose one without the other:

1.either you have high high life peaks and take the blows, pain and downfalls with it = living intensely.
2.OR you have the life that doesn't kick you in the balls a lot, but you don't have a lot of the high peaks either.

Think of it this way: imagine the graph of a sine function, x axis is time, y axis is the energy, intensity of your life.
1= The sine function shoots up and down.
2= The sine function stays around the x-axis.

[http://www.maa.org/editorial/mathgames/SineFunction.gif]

I used to be number two, but I'm making a definite shift towards the first. Life's too short and I'm trying to increase my amplitude.

**** that was geek.

So how about you?
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-07-30, 6:52 AM #2
Gee... you posted my theory. :eek: I used to think about this stuff all the time. I think I am currently in the second phase, but as these waves come in (bigger) waves themselves, I think I'll be plunging down phase 1 again in a considerable amount of time ;)
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2005-07-30, 6:55 AM #3
I know exactly what you mean. I, as well, used to live pretty blandly. However, I recently increased the intensity, and in the space of a couple of weeks I've already hit a high point (getting my first girlfriend) and a low one (fracturing both my arms). I need a rectifier that chops off the bottom portion of the curve.
Stuff
2005-07-30, 7:16 AM #4
don't worry, just about everyone on earth has thought about it in similar ways. taking the lows with the highs is definitely the way to go.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-07-30, 8:10 AM #5
If this is true, I shudder to think what's coming next. Last year was the best, most exciting year of my life.

But in answer to your question, I live like graph #1. Only way to go.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-07-30, 8:53 AM #6
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]If this is true, I shudder to think what's coming next. Last year was the best, most exciting year of my life.[/QUOTE]

I had a same sort of experience, it became horribly boring after that. :( But now it's better!
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2005-07-30, 9:49 AM #7
Massassi--the only place you can explain life with a sine function, and have everyone know what the hell you're talking about.
D E A T H
2005-07-30, 9:53 AM #8
I alternate. Right now I'm in a more calmed down state, but that's mostly because school hasn't started yet.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-07-30, 10:13 AM #9
I prefer to think of it as a tangent.

As it makes absolutely no ****ing sense.
Attachment: 6375/tangent_graph1.gif (3,948 bytes)
2005-07-30, 10:19 AM #10
Well, this is in my personal beliefs anyways. It's equivilent exchange; to gain something you must give up another, weather you know it or not...or weather it's immediately or not.

This also relates to "How can you know good without seeing evil?" or on the JO box, "How can you know the light side of the Force, without seeing the dark?" or something along those lines.

Nature works in balance, and strives to make it balance.
2005-07-30, 10:22 AM #11
RE: Tangent Function Metaphor

Sure it does- life progresses towards infinity- rapidly getting better or rapidly getting worse.

And as far as this "theory" that all of you seem to be talking about, it's good that you've all more or less come to the same conclusion, because that is the very essence of living as described by most religions, philosophies, and common sense.

Though you never really give one thing up for another- the idea of balance and sacrifice is a human notion that for one reason or another is psychologically pleasing. There is not natural striving for balance.

Though I would hardly call this living with "intensity". Intensity is dating a married and soon-to-be-divorced woman who is having a fling with a married Colombian musclehead who freaks out on a cross-country road trip when he is let down and winds up arrested and in jail at the Las Vegas PD, thousands of miles away from home and with only his wife to bail him out.

But maybe that's just my opinion.
2005-07-30, 10:25 AM #12
2005-07-30, 10:53 AM #13
That Sine function works for me, but it needs to be translated in Y by about ... 100. Get it out of that 3rd and 4th quadrant damnit! :D I HAVE NO LOWS :D
2005-07-30, 10:54 AM #14
2 for meh
2005-07-30, 11:04 AM #15
Recently (past 2 years) I've lived with a LOT of high points and barely any low points. My life is pretty much f****ing perfect
Yeah, you stay here and take life seriously. I'll go and have some fun.
2005-07-30, 11:12 AM #16
Originally posted by Morpheus:
Recently (past 2 years) I've lived with a LOT of high points and barely any low points. My life is pretty much f****ing perfect

That's how mine has been in the last 10 months or so. Any 'low' points have not been bad, just not as great as other moments.
2005-07-30, 11:13 AM #17
That kind of wave doesn't exactly describe me, since I don't have any major up and downs. I'd say I'm up a lot at a pretty constant rate.
Pissed Off?
2005-07-30, 12:32 PM #18
Yeah this last year has been suprisingly great for me... I never really hit any lows.
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2005-07-30, 12:46 PM #19
The equation to describe my life is pretty much y=0 or y=-1. Meh. :\
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-07-30, 2:32 PM #20
Y=0 for me. Life isn't satisfactory but doesn't toally suck.
nope.
2005-07-30, 9:08 PM #21
Originally posted by Boco:
Y=0 for me. Life isn't satisfactory but doesn't toally suck.

Then you must be living the most boring life in the universe.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-07-30, 9:34 PM #22
nothing like a good kick in the balls, folks.
幻術
2005-07-31, 4:03 PM #23
Originally posted by Freelancer:
The equation to describe my life is pretty much y=0 or y=-1. Meh. :\

Bro, only YOU can fix that man. I'd like one. Although this doesn't exactly apply i'd like the surfer's take on this on when you see an incoming wave "You either get crushed or you ride it."
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-07-31, 4:29 PM #24
dont get it, i buzz all the time but i'm never low, maybe its because i dont care enough to be low.

although their is my suicidal tendancies but i dont know if they count :D

i dunno, it seems like a pretty black and white way of looking at things.
2005-07-31, 11:38 PM #25
Fix? Who said it was broken? I like it that way.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-07-31, 11:44 PM #26
Originally posted by Tenshu:
[http://www.maa.org/editorial/mathgames/SineFunction.gif]

whoabipolar
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-07-31, 11:47 PM #27
My life can be represented by the equation y = -sqrt(x)
2005-08-01, 7:00 AM #28
My life can be defined as the volume of revolution of y = sin x between the values of 0 and 3 pi by 2.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-08-01, 8:36 AM #29
I've given several speeches, even, on living the 'straight line' path with 0 uncalculated risk and no emotional pain, but it's rather depressing to see all these people passing you by having jolly grand old times while you sit around by yourself, wallowing in your oh so very secure lonliness.

I've tried both ways, and I'm drifting towards the risk taking one these days, just out of spite to the world.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-01, 4:03 PM #30
a life isn't worth living without taking risks.
2005-08-01, 4:54 PM #31
I was thinking about this in idaho and I came back and saw this and was like OMGWTF MASSASSI ARE READING MAI HED!
2005-08-01, 5:11 PM #32
Life is more fun when you take chances. The biggest chances reap the biggest rewards.
2005-08-01, 5:25 PM #33
Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
Life is more fun when you take chances. The biggest chances reap the biggest rewards.

And you learn the best lessons from teh biggest losses. It's a win win situation, though one win is less pleasant than the other, still...
2005-08-01, 7:59 PM #34
All that comes up, comes down.
Nothing to see here, move along.

↑ Up to the top!