Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → There's nothing that really gets me going more than a bad ending to a movie
There's nothing that really gets me going more than a bad ending to a movie
2005-07-30, 8:54 PM #1
Spoilers:

Just finished watching Mystic River ( Yeah, a little late, I know ), and I'm really disgusted with the ending. Maybe I just hate sad endings but this was a little much. I had a good feeling from the start that "Dave" didn't kill the daughter, but for Sean Penn's character to go to that length and actually kill him? Come on, I really don't see any moral or thematical value in that whatsoever. Maybe someone could say that he was "dead in the first place", but still. Then after that I thought "well, at least Sean Penn's character will have a breakdown or something, go to jail, commit suicide, or something, but he shrugs it off, No jail?? How? Why? Needless to say, I'm disgusted.

So to complete my rant, post either some sort of explanation for this horrible ending, or other bad endings.
2005-07-30, 8:55 PM #2
Halo2... urrrrrrg!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-07-30, 8:57 PM #3
independance day.... not only did the baddas$$ aliens LOOSE, but the humans celebrated their lame victory with fireworks and cheesy lines

oh and War of the Worlds,,,, the killing stopped and I stopped watching
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-07-30, 9:12 PM #4
Yeah, the ending to Independence Day is shockingly bad. I'd be happier if the aliens won.

How the hell does a human computer virus manage to have the same effect on alien technology as it does ours? How did the "Jolly Roger" picture manage to display itself correctly on their computer screens? And how does one nuke completely annihilate something that enormous?
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2005-07-30, 9:14 PM #5
Originally posted by Acharjay:
How the hell does a human computer virus manage to have the same effect on alien technology as it does ours? How did the "Jolly Roger" picture manage to display itself correctly on their computer screens?

Microsoft is a monopoly that spread itself throughout the galaxy.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-07-30, 9:19 PM #6
I've gotten rather tired of endings where the hero dies. I mean, c'mon! Let them win for once!
Life is beautiful.
2005-07-30, 9:21 PM #7
well actually thaht nerd bloke with the hairy chest and the sexy ex wife decoded the alien command codes cos they were hidden inside our own satillites

but still

INCONCIEVABLE!!!
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-07-30, 9:33 PM #8
The Matrix: Revolutions - Let's not really explain anything but try to make everyone feel happy anyways!

A.I. - Aliens did it. Yeap that has nothing to do with the rest of the movie, but we couldnt think of a better way to end this train wreck so aliens did it.

House of Flying Daggers - Let's ignore the really cool stuff going on in the background and focus on the inconsistent and implausible motives of the two main characters in as far-fetched a way as possible!

Urrrrgh...
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-07-30, 9:47 PM #9
Originally posted by Acharjay:
How the hell does a human computer virus manage to have the same effect on alien technology as it does ours? How did the "Jolly Roger" picture manage to display itself correctly on their computer screens?

I've thought the same thing. It is, of course, somewhat impossible that he would have known how to display an image on an alien computer. However, I doubt most people really cared or even thought about it, and it is a movie, so it didn't bother me that much.

Quote:
well actually thaht nerd bloke with the hairy chest and the sexy ex wife decoded the alien command codes cos they were hidden inside our own satillites

And by these codes, he learned everything about their system, including their video modes? :rolleyes:
2005-07-30, 10:11 PM #10
Everyone knows that aliens run in 1337x1337 ALL THE TIME!
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-07-30, 10:13 PM #11
omg that would be a cool res to run in *fiddles with window display settings*
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-07-30, 10:33 PM #12
Originally posted by Spork:
A.I. - Aliens did it. Yeap that has nothing to do with the rest of the movie, but we couldnt think of a better way to end this train wreck so aliens did it.

They were machines at the end, to coincide with Giggolo Joe's quote in the earlier part of the film, "All that will be left... is us!"

I would have preferred the movie end underwater, but the third act was what Kubrick wanted. Spielberg's main contribution was the concept of the "Flesh Fair."
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-07-31, 12:45 AM #13
There are probably many bad endings, but the one I clearly remember has to be Return of the Jedi. As in, the Empire lost. And the ewoks. Ew. What a sucky ending.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-07-31, 1:36 AM #14
Originally posted by Spork:
House of Flying Daggers - Let's ignore the really cool stuff going on in the background and focus on the inconsistent and implausible motives of the two main characters in as far-fetched a way as possible!

Oh good god, yes. Beautiful movie, but horrifically stupid plot. Every single melodramatic scene between every fight-scene could be summarized by "It was you all along!" or "I was just faking it" or "I really do love you".

As for the ending: I'm not dead yet! Still not dead! Still not dead! Alright... dead.

Audience members laughing during bits that are supposed to be serious is never a good thing.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2005-07-31, 1:39 AM #15
I agree, RotJ had a terrible ending. I think Lucas did a half-*** job. In my opinion, an ideal ending would be as following:

Luke does give in to the dark side, and turns evil and ****; together, he and Vader slaughter Palpatine. Han, Leia, Chewie, Lando, C-3PO, R2D2, and the rest of the rebel gang are captured and imprisoned by the ever expanding Empire, and are destined to spend the rest of their lives mining on Kessel. The rebel fleet is obliterated. The ending scene would go like this: Vader and [dark] Luke fly down to Endor on a Lambda. Silhouetted by the shuttle's white floodlights, they step onto the moist, forest floor, and Vader looks at his son and nods slowly; Luke, with a comm-unit, gives the order to dessimate the Ewoks and the remaining rebel scum on hiding out on Endor. The next scene shows a massive army of AT-AT's, AT-ST's, and TIE-Bombers advancing on the Ewok village and unloading a barrage of firepower, knocking down trees and canopy homes in an orange and white inferno; burning Ewoks scream as they fall from their huts.
As Luke and Darth Vader look on proudly yet solomnly (sp?), a stray, frightened Ewok cub, running from the fray, bumps into Luke's leg and falls to the ground. Luke, a red glare of death from the fires burning in his eyes, bends down, grasps the youngling by the nearly non-existant furry thoat, rises again, and, in a feat of newfound hate and passion for evil, forcefully throws the cub headlong into the trunk of a large fir tree. In a light snap barely audible over the crackling explosions and laser-fire, the ewok's bones crumble, and it falls to the ground motionless, a small, hairy heap.
As the scene ends, the camera slowly flies past Vader and Luke to allow for a fuller view of the desruction on Endor. Then we fade to an orbital view of the last bits of the rebel fleet and fighter squadrons being demolished by vast amounts of TIE's and cruisers. The grey structure of the incomplete Death Star looms in the background, a reminder of the Empire's undying power and ever growing grasp of the galaxy.
The Imperial March theme fades in, and then come the credits, but not with the normal, happy-cheesy music like the other Star Wars movies. No, the Imperial March continues through some of the credits, and when it ends, the Emperor's theme plays. By the time that song is over, so are the credits. And thus, "The Return of the Jedi" can now be "The Return of the Sith"..

Woohoo. Now that's how it really should have ended. ;) (except so many things would have to be changed throughout the movie to fit the ending.)
2005-07-31, 3:21 AM #16
Meh. Aside from the Ewoks, RotJ's ending is very fitting... at least they got rid of the "Yub Yub".
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-07-31, 5:07 AM #17
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
There are probably many bad endings, but the one I clearly remember has to be Return of the Jedi. As in, the Empire lost. And the ewoks. Ew. What a sucky ending.

In the revamped ROTJ, the ending wasn't the problem. That stupid jabba's palace song and dance scene will forever be forged into my mind as the thing that totally ruined ROTJ.
2005-07-31, 5:08 AM #18
Opinions schmopinions.

Oh, and even though it's not a movie, Knights of the Old Republic 2 also had lame "endings".
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-07-31, 5:33 AM #19
I still think Neverwinter Nights (the main campaign) had the worst ending of anything I've seen/played/read.
2005-07-31, 7:34 AM #20
Originally posted by Genki:
Halo2... urrrrrrg!

I second that. The ending was such a horrible cliff hanger. I can't imagine how Bungie is going to start Halo 3 with they way they ended Halo 2. When I first saw it, I was like "WTF... isn't there supposed to be another level or boss fight for the Chief to fight? You mean to tell me that stupid Ape that that the Arbiter fought was the final boss? WTF???"
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-07-31, 8:18 AM #21
I hope you're joking, because for the first time in my life, I value George Lucas' addaptation over yours! ;)

Originally posted by Delphian:
I agree, RotJ had a terrible ending. I think Lucas did a half-*** job. In my opinion, an ideal ending would be as following:

Luke does give in to the dark side, and turns evil and ****; together, he and Vader slaughter Palpatine. Han, Leia, Chewie, Lando, C-3PO, R2D2, and the rest of the rebel gang are captured and imprisoned by the ever expanding Empire, and are destined to spend the rest of their lives mining on Kessel. The rebel fleet is obliterated. The ending scene would go like this: Vader and [dark] Luke fly down to Endor on a Lambda. Silhouetted by the shuttle's white floodlights, they step onto the moist, forest floor, and Vader looks at his son and nods slowly; Luke, with a comm-unit, gives the order to dessimate the Ewoks and the remaining rebel scum on hiding out on Endor. The next scene shows a massive army of AT-AT's, AT-ST's, and TIE-Bombers advancing on the Ewok village and unloading a barrage of firepower, knocking down trees and canopy homes in an orange and white inferno; burning Ewoks scream as they fall from their huts.
As Luke and Darth Vader look on proudly yet solomnly (sp?), a stray, frightened Ewok cub, running from the fray, bumps into Luke's leg and falls to the ground. Luke, a red glare of death from the fires burning in his eyes, bends down, grasps the youngling by the nearly non-existant furry thoat, rises again, and, in a feat of newfound hate and passion for evil, forcefully throws the cub headlong into the trunk of a large fir tree. In a light snap barely audible over the crackling explosions and laser-fire, the ewok's bones crumble, and it falls to the ground motionless, a small, hairy heap.
As the scene ends, the camera slowly flies past Vader and Luke to allow for a fuller view of the desruction on Endor. Then we fade to an orbital view of the last bits of the rebel fleet and fighter squadrons being demolished by vast amounts of TIE's and cruisers. The grey structure of the incomplete Death Star looms in the background, a reminder of the Empire's undying power and ever growing grasp of the galaxy.
The Imperial March theme fades in, and then come the credits, but not with the normal, happy-cheesy music like the other Star Wars movies. No, the Imperial March continues through some of the credits, and when it ends, the Emperor's theme plays. By the time that song is over, so are the credits. And thus, "The Return of the Jedi" can now be "The Return of the Sith"..

Woohoo. Now that's how it really should have ended. ;) (except so many things would have to be changed throughout the movie to fit the ending.)
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-07-31, 10:59 AM #22
Originally posted by Delphian:

To bad Lucas didn't direct it! He just changed the ending so many times... :(
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-07-31, 3:56 PM #23
Super Monkey Ball 2 had such a bad ending. I couldn't believe Dr. Bad Boon was so easily thwarted.
2005-07-31, 5:59 PM #24
ROTS: "noo..."

Signs

Matrix Revolutions

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Jurassic Park /// - would've been nice to see some fighter jets or something shooting down the dinosaurs flying away since they were supposed to stay on the island.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-07-31, 7:04 PM #25
The ending of Terminator 3 is pretty good.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-07-31, 7:06 PM #26
Count of Monte Cristo, the first half of the movie was soooo good. Its like they changed directors or something for the last half because it became so bad.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-07-31, 7:07 PM #27
Originally posted by SithGhost:
And by these codes, he learned everything about their system, including their video modes? :rolleyes:

Another thing. With all that tech, why were they running in 100x100 resolution?
2005-07-31, 7:17 PM #28
Most of these movies had good/okay endings. You guys are teh wang.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-07-31, 8:01 PM #29
That's Mr. Wang to you.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"

↑ Up to the top!