Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Island
The Island
2005-07-31, 12:04 AM #1
So, out of the blue yesterday, this girl I work with asks if I wanted to go to the movies with her and some of her friends, some who are also our co-workers. On a whim, I decide why not and go. We end up seeing The Island, and then going back to her apartment and stayed up until 3 am talking about movies and music and awesome things. That's another story for another time, and perhaps even another girl thread. On to the discussion of the movie.

The Island wasn't as bad as I had expected. It felt like a rehash of a Sliders episode, but to those that haven't seen the particular episode, it'll be something new. I'll just say this now to get it out of the way, Scarlett Johansson is amazingly beautiful. Anyway, the plot of the film was good, but done before, and not just in a Sliders episode. Humor was generously sprinkled throughout, mostly having to do with how ridiculously Ewan MacGregor behaved when confronted with the real world. The action parts weren't terrible, but not convincing either.

The most bothersome part of the movie, so much so that it painfully detracted from what would be a decent summer popcorn flick, was the product placement. It was so blatantly obvious that it was annoying. Puma tracksuits, Aquafina water, a 2019 version of the Xbox that used the current logo (not even the 360 logo), Michelob light, MSN directory search, etc. It was pretty bad. Usually when movies have product placement in them, it doesn't bother me as it's not glaringly obvious. But this movie was just bad in that department.

Other than that, it was a decent popcorn flick, but nothing I would pay to see again in the theater. Also, spoiler here at the end, when all the clones walk outside of the base in their white track suits, we fully expected them to start breaking into the Coca-Cola song. The mood just fit for it. It would've been the Coca-Cola Clones Club.

Getting to hang out with this girl at the end of the night made the movie more bearable I guess.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-07-31, 2:43 AM #2
Yet another Hollywood movie that was totally ruined by a trailer that gave entirely too much away. There really were no surprises. Hell I'm pretty sure even the very end of the movie was featured in the trailer.

You forgot Cadillac on that list of product placers, although the Cien was kinda cool. Actually the whole car thing sorta annoyed me, apparently in the future trains run on some sort of funky mag-lev but cars are just late 90s and early 2000 models with body kits...

Passable action movie which was enjoyable in parts. Worth seeing if only for Scarlett Johansen in that body-hugging white jumpsuit. Prrrrrrrrr!
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-07-31, 7:19 AM #3
The product placement was so apparent because those were the people sponsoring the project - it didn't bug me in the least. I thought it was a great movie, although I wish the sci-fi thriller aspect was pushed more, I really enjoyed the first act. However, the action was pretty cool.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-07-31, 8:34 AM #4
I absolutely loved the movie, despite the things mentioned above, all of which are minor issues. The acting was great, the action was fun, although unrealistic (which is part of why it's so fun), and the storyline was interesting (despite not being very unique). The movie is basically THX1138 (George Lucas) meets The World Inside (Robert Silverberg). Scarlett was sexy as hell.
2005-07-31, 9:52 AM #5
I really really didn't like it at all. I thought that the beginning was GREAT until the stupid action sequences started. I was so freaking sick of that stupid "Dundundunudnudn udndu dundundun" music during those stupid helicopter scenes. There were good parts but... I wish I hadn't wasted my $6.50 to see it.
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2005-07-31, 10:13 AM #6
Man, that Jordan girl was wicked gorgeous.... and I usually don't like celebrities.

Um, yeah, the movie was awesome. Being an immature young'n, my favorite bits were the action scenes, believable or no.
DO NOT WANT.
2005-08-01, 10:32 PM #7
Originally posted by MentatMM:
I absolutely loved the movie. Ewan was sexy as hell.

*** with minor changes. Anywho, I couldnt pull my eyes from the screen and although I tend to think a movie is amusing, that doesnt necessarily give it my stamp of approval. but this movie I couldnt tear my eyes from the screen. I thought it was going to be cheesier then it turned out to be. Loved the action, liked the idea behind the script, love the directing, loved the acting (Ewan needs to get acknowledged more for his work) and just give it Two Thumbs up.

↑ Up to the top!