Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So yeah... I havent been around much lately
So yeah... I havent been around much lately
2005-08-01, 1:35 PM #1
This summer I've been working 2 jobs to try and save more money for school. As a result, I have been spending less and less time in front of the computer- This is why I havent posted any levels in a while, and why I havent been posting much on the forums these past few months.

I know a few of you have been bugging me especially about levels. I dont check the inbox every day, because we only get one submission every few days at the most. I've been tending to post them in groups because its a lot easier that way. Level posting isnt exactly a glory job here at Massassi... it's the job that no one really wants to do. To try and explain, here's the proces I have to go through to post one single level:

First, I have to download the zip from the server. Then I have to check the read me to make sure it is in order. Then I have to find the screenshots (which are always in the zip, never attached to the email individualy), extract them, resize them (because they are always taken at 1600x1200 resolution), rename them (because they are always named jshot0001.jpg and jshot0002.jpg). Then I have to scan the email for clues as to whether the level is for Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy (because submitters never fail to not tell me which one it is for), and wait for ftp to upload the file to the appropriate directory (and Massassi FTP upload isnt all that fast, for many JO/JA levels it takes more than 5 minutes to upload). Then I have to copy and paste all of the information into the form to post it, checking for grammar and spelling mistakes (If I'm lucky, there will only be 1 or 2, and no l33t or internet speak- if I'm lucky). Then, after posting the level, I have to check and make sure that the screenshots and the download works, because invariably I'll have made a typo somewhere. If I have made a typo, I have to go back and fix the information. And that's all just for one level.

You can see why every single file poster in the history of massassi has eventually given up the job. You can also see that, as I am spending less time on the computer, the last thing I want to do when I finally get off of work in the evening after working for, come home, and plop down at my desk is post levels.

I guess you could call me on hiatus at least until the end of the summer. Once I'm done working and back in school, I might be able to keep things updated more regularly, but I can't say for sure. I will try to get the files I have posted soon though, and Grismath has offered to help out as a file poster, and I think he'll do a good job of it until he gets sick of it himself. I just need to talk to Brian so we can hopefully get him set up with the appropriate accounts.

Unfortunately, as eventually happens with everyone in an online community, real life has gotten in the way. :(

↑ Up to the top!