Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Yet Another Massassi Map
Yet Another Massassi Map
2005-08-01, 3:25 PM #1
I hacked this up about 3 weeks ago and was going to let you guys play with it, but then we updated to the new version of vBulletin, and that messed up my map (more on this later). Since then we have a Massassi map using Google Earth emerging, my map uses the Google Map API.

Anyway, here's how it works. Go to the map website:

http://216.170.11.226/map/

From there you can add yourself either by typing in your city, state, and country (hopefully will work international, and I realize the map is centered on the US, but you can move it around, I'll change it later). Also, you can optionally input a street address if you want to make the geocoding more accurate (only your city and state/country will be retained). You'll get a map showing where you'll be placed, make adjustments if you want, then when you finish it will give you a block of text, such as:

Code:
MAPDSTART
Lincoln
NE
2c904501d143e2345f4d1c6015f2c86b01205d66
MAPDEND

Copy the whole thing (including the MAPDSTART/MAPDEND) and private message it to the user "mapd" (map daemon). Within the hour (actually at a quarter after the hour) a script will run which will check all the private messages for mapd and then add the new users to the map, which can then be viewed at the above site. This was broken when the upgrade occurred, a lot of the form element names got changed.

Let me know what you think, I know its ugly and not standards compliant, I wanted to get your guys' input before I spent any time beautifying it. However it should be fairly solid codewise and only break if you try really hard.

-Aaron
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2005-08-01, 3:33 PM #2
Sweet. I've sent a PM.
2005-08-01, 6:34 PM #3
Id been planning on doing this myself for some time, but I never got around to it.

Good to see someone beat me to it. :D
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-08-02, 2:14 PM #4
I was going to orginally do this with the image that was used for the original map, but I couldn't figure out a good way to determine accurate GPS coordinates, and then the whole issue of mapping the coordinates onto a flat service. I'm happy to let google take care of that.

It seems like nobody in the west comes here :p
2005-08-02, 2:26 PM #5
wow, that's really cool. I just added myself :)
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-08-02, 2:29 PM #6
Awesome. Second Californian after Thrawn.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-08-02, 2:44 PM #7
happy dud lives in the middle of a lake?
The Gas Station
2005-08-02, 2:51 PM #8
done. cool.
2005-08-02, 2:52 PM #9
Wait, I see no PHP support in the Google Map API documentation...
And how do you get a bot to log into massassi? That is tighhht
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-08-02, 2:58 PM #10
Needs a little more:
- I like the Google Maps zoom slider and buttons.
- The main map should allow you to place your marker, or you should be able to zoom and switch to satellite in the place marker one to exactly show where you live. :)
- I like that you can "fine tune" an address location. That's good.
- When placing a marker, allow clicking anywhere when a marker is already placed to place a new one and remove the old one at the same time.

2005-08-02, 3:21 PM #11
Awesome. PM sent. Now I can only hope for the best...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-08-02, 3:30 PM #12
i refuse to pinpoint my exact location
2005-08-02, 3:37 PM #13
same. i just pinpointed some random house near me.
2005-08-02, 3:40 PM #14
Originally posted by Ubuu:
Wait, I see no PHP support in the Google Map API documentation...
And how do you get a bot to log into massassi? That is tighhht

The API supports reading the points from a XML file and the script reads all the entries from the database and writes them to a XML file once the update script finishes running. To get the bot to login I basically logged in through a webbrowser and did a packet capture (I didn't feel like downloading the vB source) and then replicated that behavior in PHP with sockets.

Originally posted by The_Mega_ZZTer:
- I like the Google Maps zoom slider and buttons.
- The main map should allow you to place your marker, or you should be able to zoom and switch to satellite in the place marker one to exactly show where you live.
- I like that you can "fine tune" an address location. That's good.
- When placing a marker, allow clicking anywhere when a marker is already placed to place a new one and remove the old one at the same time.

I switch the main map to the big slider like Google has. I never considered using the main map as a way to mark your point, I more consider that to be a just show the points thing. And that way to place a marker would be a lot easier, I'll work on that.

Originally posted by Warlord:
i refuse to pinpoint my exact location

That's why you can just enter your city and state and not a specific address.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments so far, and I'm open to any more. What do you think the default view of the map should be (right now its the US)? Any improvemnts to be made to the PM registration system?

-Aaron

[edit: I've adjusted the marking system so that you can just click to move the point instead of first clicking to remove the old one. Still not sure about marking on the main map though.]
2005-08-02, 3:42 PM #15
Why does it need the PM system? Surely it'd be a lot simpler just to ask people their name when they've chosen their location.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-08-02, 3:45 PM #16
i'm on the map
wooo :)
yay for not posting much ever
2005-08-02, 3:56 PM #17
I did the PM system so that only you can add yourself to the map, that way bugbear (or whatever his name was, for example) can't add you in the middle of the ocean since each user can only be in there once. Granted, its kinda trivial if somebody does that, but it keeps the integrity of the map higher.
2005-08-02, 4:44 PM #18
Yhpm.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2005-08-02, 7:17 PM #19
...I'm currently ~20 miles from a Massassian (Gainesville FL..moving to NH, so that's what I put on the map).

:eek:
woot!
2005-08-02, 8:20 PM #20
Originally posted by Grant:
happy dud lives in the middle of a lake?

Sod off. :p
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-08-02, 8:59 PM #21
Very neat!
2005-08-03, 2:11 PM #22
OMG THRAWNNUMERS is on me! :gbk:
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2005-08-03, 2:20 PM #23
Whoot, third Ontarian!

Grant and Darth Evad got there before me.

They shall perish... the fools...

Ahaha, eheh, ahem... :em321:
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2005-08-03, 2:23 PM #24
Fourth Ontarian!
Stuff
2005-08-03, 2:28 PM #25
Originally posted by kyle90:
Fourth Ontarian!

WhOOt!

*readies his baseball bat* ...
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2005-08-04, 1:17 PM #26
Awesome.
2005-08-04, 1:34 PM #27
wtf? Why aren't I on the map? Stupid thing.
Stuff
2005-08-04, 2:11 PM #28
kyle90, it takes some time to update the new marker.

the Ontarian's should get together sometime for a JK LAN! invite some yanks close to the border too... hehe
The Gas Station
2005-08-04, 2:34 PM #29
You're on the map now, like Grant said, it takes some time, up to an hour.
2005-08-04, 3:33 PM #30
Yah except I waited like a day... I tried a second time and it worked though, so it's all good. :D
Stuff
2005-08-04, 3:41 PM #31
Sometimes the map data remains cached and you have to open the map in a new window to get a fresh copy (refreshing doesn't work) if you've left the browser window open.
2005-08-04, 8:01 PM #32
First New Delhissassian!

The satelite imagery of New Delhi sucks.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2005-08-06, 9:17 AM #33
Alright, I've updated it a little bit.

-As we all know, the shortest distance between two massassians is not a straight line, and now you can find it
-If you send mapd another message, instead of ignoring it like before, it will now update your location to something different
-You can see the last time the script ran if you don't think you were added

Let me know if there is anothing else to add/fix/improve. Or if somebody would like to come up with a good looking template/interface for it.

↑ Up to the top!