Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Looking for a decent domain registrar
Looking for a decent domain registrar
2005-08-02, 8:12 PM #1
I need to renew the lease on my website ([url]www.doigtsagiles.com[/url]), and I want to register a new .com as well. Anyone know of a good domain name registering service thingy?

Yeah.

TIA.
2005-08-02, 8:35 PM #2
godaddy.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-08-02, 8:44 PM #3
I have used [url]www.registerfly.com[/url] before. It's 10 dollars per domain per year, and they have good extra features (like dynamic DNS support, so you can pretty easily host your own site).
2005-08-02, 9:25 PM #4
Brian and I both use [url]www.GKG.net[/url] for (Massassi.net, Massassi.com, Massassi.org, Woggle.org, Woggle.net). They are a pretty good registrar.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-08-03, 5:44 AM #5
Godaddy.com

If you're interested i can tell you how to get domains for $5.19/year from them.

Edit: It looks like they stopped people using that method now. The cheapest you can get them from godaddy now is $6.19/year.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-08-03, 6:39 AM #6
I use Godaddy.com
2005-08-03, 6:48 AM #7
[url]www.godaddy.com[/url]

I used to go with gkg.net on brian's recommendation, but they charge you for all the extra little features... which godaddy gives you for free. Like domain parking and a bunch of other stuff I can't think of becuase I switched from GKG a while back.

2005-08-03, 10:29 AM #8
I think I heard Evad talking about godaddy as well.

Thanks guys, I think I'll give them a shot.
2005-08-03, 1:20 PM #9
Hey, if you can find a domain name that no registrar has a claim to, how do you... you know... make it yours? Because I'm building a website offline, and I'll probably buy a domain name anyway, but I'm just curious.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2005-08-03, 1:29 PM #10
You use a registrar to register it. :p

I just nabbed one with godaddy.com. Just make an account, see if the domain is available, and buy it.
2005-08-03, 1:33 PM #11
Originally posted by Shintock:
You use a registrar to register it. :p

I just nabbed one with godaddy.com. Just make an account, see if the domain is available, and buy it.

No, I mean... how could a registrar sell you the name if they don't own it in the first place?

And also, what if you want to make your own suffix, like so? :

http://www.matterializeisawexome.potato

Instead of .com. You know.
2005-08-03, 1:40 PM #12
They buy the domain and lease it to you, AFAIK.

And you can't create your own extensions like that. Sorry. :p
2005-08-03, 1:46 PM #13
Originally posted by Shintock:
They buy the domain and lease it to you, AFAIK.

And you can't create your own extensions like that. Sorry. :p

Not fair. I mean... who are they buying the domain from in the first place?

[edit] I'm guessing that some suffixes are more expensive because they are... based farther away? Like .jp is more expensive than .com? (I'm aware that .com doesn't represent a country.)
2005-08-03, 9:40 PM #14
I use [url]www.dotster.com[/url]
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-08-04, 12:44 AM #15
http://www.keywebdata.com/articles.aspx?article=2
Good info on registrars

o.0
2005-08-04, 7:45 AM #16
Right, if you're too lazy to read the article, certain people and companies pay for the right to sell domain names. When you buy one, all they do is register the domain name in DNS servers where people can find them.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2005-08-04, 12:26 PM #17
Holy crap. GoDaddy just called here to welcome me to their service and to see if I had any questions or problems.

Awesome.
2005-08-04, 6:16 PM #18
godaddy is a good registrar as far as a registrar can be good.
they are coming out with .xxx and/or .sex soon. woohoo!!!
2005-08-04, 11:35 PM #19
Once registering a site domain, how do I make it lead to a blogspot site?
"Your entire base belongs to us."
"It would be highly appreciated if someone would set the bomb up for us"
"Launch all of our ships, christened 'Zigs', to insure that justice will be achieved swiftly and powerfully."

↑ Up to the top!