Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Welcome to 1995, Apple.
Welcome to 1995, Apple.
2005-08-03, 1:45 PM #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050802/ap_on_hi_te/apple_s_new_mouse

Two buttons AND scrolling! Holy crap! :rolleyes:

Clearly the best part:
Quote:
With the new mouse, Apple is seeking to tap into the accessory market, which includes such gadgets as flat-screen monitors, computer speakers, and remote controls, said Richard Shim, senior analyst at research firm IDC.

"There is no doubt that in the overall PC market, where margins are thin, there are opportunities for accessory makers," Shim said. "There is a huge install base of PCs out there so there is money to be made if you can hit on a popular accessory."

Yeah, I'm sure their sales to PC users will be huge...
2005-08-03, 1:48 PM #2
haha...like the name. Mighty Mouse
2005-08-03, 1:57 PM #3
Do you know what a trendwhore is?
2005-08-03, 1:57 PM #4
It's not that bad, actually. Optical sensors for buttons... the little 4-way scroll ball.

In lieu of actual buttons beyond the scroll ball, the optical-scanning mouse has four sensors that can be programmed for multiple actions, just like the left and right buttons on many PC mouses.

That's four buttons, not two. Four buttons, plus the scroll ball, is pretty nice.

Mighty Mouse, which connects via a USB port, will retail for $49. It is PC-compatible but won't be able to move your cursor diagonally in Microsoft's Windows, Apple said.

Three things I don't like here:

1. $49? Rather just buy a cheaper mouse with regular buttons. Sensor's ain't a necessity.
2. I hate USB mice. I use my USB ports for things like joysticks and stuff. Equipment with nowhere else to go. I generally put my mouse in the mouse port.
3. It doesn't move diagonally? There are a lot of Windows users out there. This mouse will make using the computer remniscent of using an Etch-a-Sketch.

Mighty Mouse is a cartoon superhero that was produced by Terrytoons in 1942.

No way. I had no idea... :rolleyes:

[EDIT] At $49, Mighty Mouse features the revolutionary Scroll Ball that lets you move anywhere inside a document.

Revolutionary? [/EDIT]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2005-08-03, 2:03 PM #5
People who buy that should also be sent a bullet and gun. Honestly, $50 for a mouse?
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-08-03, 2:03 PM #6
The whole Apple == 1 mouse button thing is a fable. You've been able to buy multi-function mice for macs for years.

On the other hand, this seems to be a big fuss atm.

Meh.
2005-08-03, 2:05 PM #7
Originally posted by Molgrew:
Do you know what a trendwhore is?

$10,000 hooker?
2005-08-03, 2:05 PM #8
Sellouts. I will keep on using the one-button mouse forever :E
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2005-08-03, 2:08 PM #9
No one here ever said anything about not being able to use multiple button mice...

The point is, Apple just now had the sense to make one of their own, and it still won't hold up to any decent mouse...

Oooh, 4 buttons. Any decent mouse has at least 5, sometimes as many as 8. And if you've ever had to use their generation of mouse made right before this one, you'd know they're the most uncomfortable things known to man.
2005-08-03, 2:10 PM #10
You may mock, but I've always just had good old 2 button mice. :p

I suppose many buttons could be useful for gaming, but I don't any more.

*shrug*
2005-08-03, 2:12 PM #11
Originally posted by Darth:
Oooh, 4 buttons. Any decent mouse has at least 5, sometimes as many as 8.

8 buttons? Waste of money, on my account. I don't have that many fingers, and if I did, I'd still only use two of them for the mouse. I'm a purist.

:)

[EDIT] I agree, Martyn, about the games thing. But there aren't that many games out there designed for eight-button mice. :)[/EDIT]
2005-08-03, 2:13 PM #12
Originally posted by Matterialize:
8 buttons? Waste of money, on my account. I don't have that many fingers, and if I did, I'd still only use two of them for the mouse. I'm a purist.

:)

Not a waste of money when it only costs $10 more than that Apple mouse (sometimes $10 less on a good sale) and is the best mouse ever known to man. =P

MX1000 weeeeeeeeeeee.
2005-08-03, 2:14 PM #13
[http://www.worth1000.com/entries/80000/80350RWyv_w.jpg]
push it's buttons!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-08-03, 2:16 PM #14
My mouse has 9 buttons.
2005-08-03, 2:22 PM #15
Originally posted by Darth:
Not a waste of money when it only costs $10 more than that Apple mouse (sometimes $10 less on a good sale) and is the best mouse ever known to man. =P

MX1000 weeeeeeeeeeee.

I'm not sayin' it's a waste compared to anything, I'm sayin' it's a waste of money in general, if you don't use most of the buttons.

If you use all those buttons, then it's not a waste. :)
2005-08-03, 2:23 PM #16
I just have a black logitech cordless optical with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. Does the job beautifully, and packs up nicely in the laptop bag for transport too.
2005-08-03, 2:24 PM #17
Originally posted by Martyn:
I just have a black logitech cordless optical with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. Does the job beautifully, and packs up nicely in the laptop bag for transport too.

I prefer an optical with a cord. Don't like buying batteries for ones that come w/o a charger.

--

I've always wanted one of those miniature laptop mice, though. Just for the hell of owning one. :D
2005-08-03, 2:27 PM #18
I couldn't live without a scroll wheel.
2005-08-03, 2:47 PM #19
Originally posted by Matterialize:
Mine doesn't.

Sadly, I thought it did. >_<

SAFTEY VIOLATION! :banned:
:p

[edit]
Wow, three people posted from the future, thats a record.
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-03, 3:02 PM #20
Man, Apple is like the Nintendo of computer making.
2005-08-03, 3:31 PM #21
I prefer my MX1000.. :D
woot!
2005-08-03, 3:49 PM #22
Pffft, my garage door has optical sensors.
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-03, 3:50 PM #23
Originally posted by ProdigyOddigy:
Pffft, my garage door has optical sensors.

Mine doesn't.

Sadly, I thought it did. >_<
2005-08-03, 5:46 PM #24
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
People who buy that should also be sent a bullet and gun. Honestly, $50 for a mouse?

Mac Geeks will buy it in hoards. Don't know about PC users with the now diagonal movemnet thing.
Pissed Off?
2005-08-03, 5:47 PM #25
The only Mac user I personally know with any sense uses a Microsoft mouse. =P

↑ Up to the top!