Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Bizarre Sonic Heroes monitor problem...
Bizarre Sonic Heroes monitor problem...
2005-08-04, 9:34 AM #1
I will save the blurb and just let you read this e-mail I fired off to Sega, as it explains everything:

Quote:
Dear Sega,

I have just purchased Sonic Heroes for my PC. When trying to run the game the monitor interface itself and NOT Windows displays an error:

OUT OF RANGE
xxx.x K 240 Hz

The figure before the K varies, but the Hz figure is always 240. At a guess I would say that, for some reason, the game is trying to refresh the monitor at 240Hz, 4 times the rate I presently refresh at and clearly too high for my monitor! Or is it something else? I have tried adjusting the graphical settings by lowering the framerate and removing options, downscaling the resolution etc. with no success. The only way then back out of the game is to Alt+-Tab or Ctrl+Esc back to the desktop and close the game via Task Manager.

At present I run the monitor at a desktop resolutoin of 1280x1024 32 bit @ 60Hz with no problems. I did try to run the game at 1024x768 32 bit as I do with most games.

The pertinent specs for my system are:

P4 2.4 GHz
512 MB DDR RAM
128MB GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 4x

Clearly the specs more than satisfy the requirements - added to this is the fact that I'm using the latest DirectX (9.0c) and (to the best of my knowledge) the latest nVidia drivers (7730). I have included a Dxdiag report as an attached .txt file if you feel this would be of any help.

Awaiting your response
Graham Rutland
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2005-08-04, 9:58 AM #2
Can't help you with you prob (as this isn't the Tech-Forum :p) but you're running 1280x1024 @ 60Hz?!? Ouch! I can't stand anything below 75Hz.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-08-04, 10:00 AM #3
You get used to it :)

2005-08-04, 10:13 AM #4
Or you go blind.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-04, 10:14 AM #5
I think that's what he meant with "You get used to it." If you can't see it, it doesn't bother you. ;)
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-08-04, 10:16 AM #6
Quote:
Dj Yoshmo: http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=34718 you need to be my voice since I'm banned. Tell this guy to check in the installation folder for a .cfg or .ini file named setup.ini or config.ini or something like that, then open it with notepad and look for a refresh rate setting. Also tell him to run 1280x960 as it's 4:3 whereas 1280x1024 isn't.
Dj Yoshmo: and he should be able to pull at least a 70hz refresh at that setting
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-08-04, 10:44 AM #7
what kind of monitor (CRT or LCD)? if it's an LCD that fully explains how you can stand 60Hz and would also explain to the banned person why you would be using 1280x1024
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-08-04, 10:50 AM #8
Go to your video card settings and look for refresh rate overrides. Might need to do the Coolbits regedit for it to work (I forget).

Then, once you have a refresh rate override menu, go to it, find the resolution you're using and set the refresh rate for that to what you want it to be. That way, everything you run at that resolution will always be at the refresh rate you've set in here, regardless of any settings in the program.
2005-08-04, 12:23 PM #9
I used to use 1280x1024, purely because it was the max my monitor could handle. Knocked it down to x960, and I find it much better. Especially seeing as I can get an extra 25hz on the refresh rate.

I suggest trying Yoshi's suggestion, a cfg file should be present that allows you to manually set the refresh rate. If not, a refresh rate override (should be present with your current drivers in the Display Properties > Advanced dialogue) for your chosen rez will do the trick.
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-08-04, 1:12 PM #10
Wow, I didn't realize until after reading this post that I've also been using 1280x1024 at 60 hz. I just changed it to 75 hz now and I notice the screen seems softer now. :p
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-08-04, 1:33 PM #11
Originally posted by SavageX378:
Wow, I didn't realize until after reading this post that I've also been using 1280x1024 at 60 hz. I just changed it to 75 hz now and I notice the screen seems softer now. :p

I just did that too.
2005-08-04, 3:46 PM #12
Use the refresh rate override option in your drivers. I know theres one in ATIs drivers dont know about nvidia but if there isn't you'll find a tool somewhere which will do it.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-08-04, 4:04 PM #13
I'm not sure this is an over ride but its proof that nvidia cards do have controls for refresh rates.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-08-04, 4:09 PM #14
Nah, you have to enable Coolbits to get to them now. They used to be there without it.
Attachment: 6571/rr.png (72,062 bytes)
2005-08-04, 5:39 PM #15
Cheers for all the responses - strangely it has fixed itself (I don't know, I give up sometimes!)

↑ Up to the top!