Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What is your favorite StarCraft race?
What is your favorite StarCraft race?
2005-08-04, 1:16 PM #1
Ever since I gave up WoW, I've been playing StarCraft and Half-Life 2 on and off as of lately. So far I'm almost done with the Terran compaign, half way through the zerg campaign, and 1/3 a ways through the protoss. So far, I don't have a real favorite but I'm leaning towards the protoss because it seems easier to take over bases with that race than it does the others.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-08-04, 1:17 PM #2
Protoss High Templar :)
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-08-04, 1:19 PM #3
I used to fight useing the Zerg..but now I don't know. :\

Terran seemed to be my favorite when I left. So I'll vote for them.

Been a while since I played too.
2005-08-04, 1:51 PM #4
never played it, but if its as addictive as WOW, i'll never start it
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-08-04, 1:56 PM #5
Originally posted by Ruthven:
never played it, but if its as addictive as WOW, i'll never start it

Starcraft puts WoW to shame.
2005-08-04, 2:05 PM #6
terran
2005-08-04, 2:08 PM #7
Never played it.
2005-08-04, 2:31 PM #8
Random..

And how can any of you NOT have played Starcraft? At least once? I mean if I wasn't on a gaming forum I'd make no deal of it.. but .... :p
2005-08-04, 2:38 PM #9
I'm best with Zerg, but I love the protoss.

Dark Archons ftw.

Archons ftw.
2005-08-04, 2:43 PM #10
Terran are boring, Zerg are interesting but suck, Protoss are by far the coolest.
2005-08-04, 2:55 PM #11
toss
2005-08-04, 2:59 PM #12
Haven't played it much, and when I did, I only played Terrans.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-04, 3:09 PM #13
4 Terrans in a bunker = priceless
2005-08-04, 3:54 PM #14
For those of you that haven't played StarCraft...

http://www.fileplanet.com/47051/40000/fileinfo/Starcraft-Demo
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=614
http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/starcraft/scdemo.exe.html

Sadly, the demo only allows you to play the terrans but at least you can proudly say "I played StarCraft!" and become free from ridicle from Koreans :p
2005-08-04, 4:17 PM #15
Heh I have yet to actually play the single player..... It's all about multiplayer
2005-08-04, 4:52 PM #16
Practicality - Terran
Coolest units - Protoss
MP rush/Menu screen - Zerg

Edit: Future posted Sav.
2005-08-04, 5:17 PM #17
Toss all the way.

Edit - future post :P
2005-08-04, 5:21 PM #18
Zerg.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-08-04, 5:29 PM #19
Protoss Carriers. Nuff said.
Pissed Off?
2005-08-04, 5:41 PM #20
I haven't had the nerve to try out MP yet, mainly because when I join battle.net, there is leet speak all over the damn place. I really hate it when people insist on typing "3v3 n00bs only !!!!!1111oneone" as the name of their game. Not only that, I kinda suck at the game. I take too long building stuff and not doing enough raids/sieges on the enemy's base.
2005-08-04, 6:20 PM #21
Some time around about March, I took a leave of absence from the forums. At the same time, I gave my mum my SC disc and told her not to let me have it back until after my exams. Well, the day finally came. I finished my last exam and rushed home, only to find that MY GODDAMN COMPUTER SUCKS SO MUCH I CAN'T EVEN PLAY STARCRAFT ANYMORE!

The box is sitting on my desk, the disc is in the drive....but I cannot play. :(

- in response to the question, I always go random, try to mix it up a bit, but I absolutely suck with terran.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2005-08-04, 6:33 PM #22
The only thing I don't like about zerg is their lack of really good air to air splash. However, hydralisks, them flying things, and guardians own. (I haven't played in years)

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-08-04, 6:41 PM #23
Xel'Naga
What?
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-08-04, 6:49 PM #24
orcs

lololololololZERGRUSHKEKEKEKEKKEKEKKEE ^_^

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-08-04, 7:04 PM #25
seriously though, Im a terran man. I can get much more tactical with terran than with any any race, without the picky details that protoss have.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-08-04, 7:25 PM #26
Zerg rush!!!
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-08-04, 7:36 PM #27
Here are the pros/cons I have with each race:

Terran
---------------------------------

Pros:
- SCVs have the ability to repair buildings and mechanical units.
- Buildings can be moved around.
- Bunkers makes protecting the base a charm.
- They can build anywhere, unlike the other races who are restricted.
- Ghosts kick butt!

Cons:
- Some of the units seem like a waste to build.
- Attachments for some buildings forces you to have to create multiple buildings just to be able to have all the attachments (i.e. You need two science facilities in order to have both battlecruisers and ghosts).
- They are boring to play.

Zerg

Pros:
- They can produce units pretty fast and in great amounts at a time
- Burrow allows units to hide from the enemy until they are needed, allowing for ambushes.
- Buildings and units slowly regenerate health over time.

Cons:
- They die too easy. You need to have lots and lots of units in order to overwhelm the enemy, hence they term "zerging" as it is used in other games like WoW.
- You lose a worker when you build a building, which forces you to spend resources on replacing them.
- Having to mutate the lairs so many times to unlock units can really suck when you're lair gets nuked, therefore you need to build multiple lairs.
- Where you can build is limited on how far the zerg's infestation extends. This forces you to have to build creep colonies in order to spread out.

Protoss

Pros:
- Buildings and units have shields, which makes them quite durable. There is also a building that can recharge shields for all units.
- Because of shields, units can take a good beating, therefore you don't need to have so many units to do raids (although you still need a large group for sieges)
- They have great anti-air defense. The scouts and dragoons are great for defense since they can take down transpots fast before the enemy can even deploy their troops.
- Workers don't need to build buildings - buildings are warped in so a worker can just place a building and go back to work!

Cons:
- Buildings and units costs are HIGH. You REALLY need to capture more than one source of minerals and gas in order to produce anything at a good rate.
- Where you can build is restricted to where pylons are placed. What really sucks about pylons is that they are required for buildings to be powered so if they go down and a building isn't near any pylons, they stop working. A smart enemy will take advantage of this and focus on pylons if there is only a few around.
2005-08-04, 7:38 PM #28
Forgot a Zerg pro: 400 zerglings

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-08-04, 7:58 PM #29
Another pro of Protoss, if you have a dark archon and have the mind control ability, you can take control of a zerg harvester or a terran scv and you can BE A TERRAN OR ZERG COMPLETELY. So if your reaching the 200 psi limit, this gives an extra boost because now you can build a zerg base that has its own 200 unit limit and a human base, so now your psi has jumped from 200 to 600 with the advantages of all three races. The problem is it takes some time to set up and in the end your just better of raiding the opponents base.
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-08-04, 8:34 PM #30
Here's what I'll do for each race:
Terran:
BattleCruisers
Sometimes I'll do Tanks/Goliaths

Protoss:
Carriers
Sneak attack on base (DTs and those slug things with blue explosives) .. sometimes Mind Controll a different race.

Zerg:
Anything works, that's whats great about these guys.
Start off with tons of Hydralisks.. finish with zerglings
Devs/Gards
2005-08-04, 11:53 PM #31
I thought StarCraft, not Total Annihilation (Core & Arm) ^^
2005-08-05, 12:05 AM #32
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]The only thing I don't like about zerg is their lack of really good air to air splash. However, hydralisks, them flying things, and guardians own. (I haven't played in years)[/QUOTE]

An early ait rush with the Zerg can lay some havok.
Pissed Off?
2005-08-05, 12:28 AM #33
My life for the swarm!

I just love Zerg. Bazzilions of units and they grow so fast that when you've sent them to their death you have them all standing again in a minute.

Originally posted by SavageX378:
Here are the pros/cons I have with each race:

Terran
Pros:
- SCVs have the ability to repair buildings and mechanical units.
- Buildings can be moved around.
- Bunkers makes protecting the base a charm.
- They can build anywhere, unlike the other races who are restricted.
- Ghosts kick butt!

Cons:
- Some of the units seem like a waste to build.
- Attachments for some buildings forces you to have to create multiple buildings just to be able to have all the attachments (i.e. You need two science facilities in order to have both battlecruisers and ghosts).
- They are boring to play.

Boring to play? IMHO Terrans are the hardest to play, but can also be the best because they have so many possibilities in tactics. No other race is as diverse as Terrans.
But one of the big cons about Terrans is IMHO that you have to make buildings (forgot the name) to extend your unit limit. Granted, you can use a few for defensive, but after a while you really get out of space in your base.

Quote:
Zerg
Pros:
- They can produce units pretty fast and in great amounts at a time
- Burrow allows units to hide from the enemy until they are needed, allowing for ambushes.
- Buildings and units slowly regenerate health over time.

Cons:
- They die too easy. You need to have lots and lots of units in order to overwhelm the enemy, hence they term "zerging" as it is used in other games like WoW.
- You lose a worker when you build a building, which forces you to spend resources on replacing them.
- Where you can build is limited on how far the zerg's infestation extends. This forces you to have to build creep colonies in order to spread out.
- Having to mutate the lairs so many times to unlock units can really suck when you're lair gets nuked, therefore you need to build multiple lairs.

You have to build multiple lairs anyway to build fast enough.

Quote:
Protoss
Pros:
- Buildings and units have shields, which makes them quite durable. There is also a building that can recharge shields for all units.
- Because of shields, units can take a good beating, therefore you don't need to have so many units to do raids (although you still need a large group for sieges)
- They have great anti-air defense. The scouts and dragoons are great for defense since they can take down transpots fast before the enemy can even deploy their troops.
- Workers don't need to build buildings - buildings are warped in so a worker can just place a building and go back to work!

Cons:
- Buildings and units costs are HIGH. You REALLY need to capture more than one source of minerals and gas in order to produce anything at a good rate.
- Where you can build is restricted to where pylons are placed. What really sucks about pylons is that they are required for buildings to be powered so if they go down and a building isn't near any pylons, they stop working. A smart enemy will take advantage of this and focus on pylons if there is only a few around.

You have to capture many minerals with every race. That's one of the thrills of the games (and the reason why I hate fast-maps).
And as with the things for Terrans you can use Pylons as defense, too. Then place some cannons behind them and you have a good spot to slow down enemy troops.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-08-05, 1:26 AM #34
Originally posted by Avenger:
Protoss Carriers. Nuff said.

Damn straight.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-08-05, 6:38 AM #35
Ahh, Starcraft... Siege tanks are the best tactical unit in the game, apart from Ghosts. :D

I love all the races equally.
DO NOT WANT.
2005-08-05, 7:24 AM #36
High templar, dark templar, and archons are by far my favorite units in the game.

IMO, the protoss also command the most respect of any race.
2005-08-05, 12:00 PM #37
Zerg. I hated them at first because I couldn't figure out what any of their buildings did. I was like WTF is a zerg puss colony?

Overlords for dude count: The best of all. For other races, you're forced to take up valueable ground space and spend money to get supply with nothing in return. With zerg, your "flying supply depots" can be used as detectors AND transports. No extra resources need to be spend building either...your guy count doesn't go up in exchange for ability to fly your ground forces in, like with terran and protoss shuttles.

Lairs: One building, can make any unit. You need an airforce fast? Your 6 lairs will build that. Need ground troops fast? Same six lairs will do the job. No need to build six star ports or six factories.

Lurkers rock, their attack kills the first guy...the guy behind him and the one behind him. All while cloaked.

Gaurdians: Seige tanks. That can fly. And don't need to transform.

Nydus: Not used much, but it effectively allows you to defend two areas that are very far from eachother with one army. Pretty hand if you need backup fast.

Queens: Spawn broodling and parasite.

All there guys automatically generate to full health, no micromanaging repair or half healing like other races.

They have their downsides, mainly building restrictions to creep (making hasty outpost construction virtually impossible) loss of gathering unit for each building constructed and they require a buttload of gas...but its so easy to change directions really fast with them.

Their main problem?
They don't have carriers. Carriers own. Also, devourers are somewhat of a mixed bag as an antiair unit. They sure beat the hell out of standard mutas though.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters
2005-08-05, 12:16 PM #38
12 Carriers hidden by 2 or 3 arbriters is pretty good, but a zerg way to tear them up is to have hydralisks hidden under one of those invicibility clouds that are made by the defilers. Your hydras keep acid spitting while the carriers can't do anything except escape.
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-08-05, 12:48 PM #39
And if you've got several Queens spitting this green stuff on the carriers you can
a) see them and
b) they are slow to begin with but in the green slime (can't remember the name) almost imobile.
And your Hydra's kill them in no time.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-08-05, 1:58 PM #40
Zerg, with a minor in protoss.

↑ Up to the top!