Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → China bans MMOs for Minors.
China bans MMOs for Minors.
2005-08-04, 2:29 PM #1
http://www.interfax.cn/showfeature.asp?aid=4211

Well, looks like china's going to be going through a revolution REAL soon.

Discuss.
2005-08-04, 2:30 PM #2
Maybe they were playing the China: Revolutions MMO?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-04, 2:30 PM #3
Wow
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-08-04, 2:31 PM #4
Good.

I don't want 13 year olds that can't freaking type ruining my game experience.

Lets follow the motion here, and everywhere else.
2005-08-04, 2:31 PM #5
When MMOs are outlawed, only outlaws will have MMOs
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-08-04, 2:32 PM #6
maybe this will help with the MMORPG in game currency farmers....
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2005-08-04, 2:32 PM #7
Originally posted by Rob:
Good.

Now, you do realise that you would have to remove me from MMOs?

You can kick all the other people, but I'll be damned if I don't get my WoW fix.

Plus, it's also pretty depressing when you find that it's a 32 year old acting like an 8 year old.
2005-08-04, 2:44 PM #8
Originally posted by Stinkywrix:
Now, you do realise that you would have to remove me from MMOs?

You can kick all the other people, but I'll be damned if I don't get my WoW fix.

Plus, it's also pretty depressing when you find that it's a 32 year old acting like an 8 year old.

Quit ruining my gaming experience.

*mutters about damn kids, and no respect, and walking 10 miles in the snow to game in his day*
2005-08-04, 2:57 PM #9
You realize of course that minors are the target market for most MMORPGs.

This is a stupid economic decision. It's like outlawing hardhats for construction workers, but it's legal for everyone else to have them.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-04, 3:13 PM #10
It's not like China hasn't made dumb moves in the past. :rolleyes:
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-08-04, 3:27 PM #11
Originally posted by Freelancer:
This is a stupid economic decision. It's like outlawing hardhats for construction workers, but it's legal for everyone else to have them.

I think you need a better analogy.
2005-08-04, 3:28 PM #12
That is the stupidest thing I've read in quite a while... and I read the WoW forums
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-08-04, 3:35 PM #13

construction workers do something productive with their lives
2005-08-04, 3:47 PM #14
It's like outlawing hardhats for construction workers, but it's legal for everyone else to have them.

Uh, what?
2005-08-04, 3:49 PM #15
Let's hope this puts a stop to chinese gold farmers in WoW... assumming those farmers got their hands on the US version of WoW legally.

Edit: I'm stupid. I just realized this is a ban for minors, not chinese in general.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-08-04, 4:54 PM #16
Originally posted by Echoman:
I think you need a better analogy.

No I don't. You're just too stupid to get it.

target market for mmorpgs = minors.
target market for hardhats = construction workers.

A little more clear now?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-04, 5:11 PM #17
No I'm afraid its a retarded analogy.

Construction workers can be in extreme danger without the hardhats....kids on the other hand will only die without video games because they'll turn into emos and slice themselves open.
2005-08-04, 5:15 PM #18
Originally posted by THRAWN:
It's not like China hasn't made dumb moves in the past. :rolleyes:

Yeah, this is the country that decided it would be a good idea to let people make iron and steel in their backyards.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-08-04, 5:30 PM #19
Silly communists. Yet another reason to leave China.

LOL I can just see it now. Some kid playing GTA is dragged out of his home by the police and placed in Jail. :rolleyes:
2005-08-04, 7:03 PM #20
There are MMOG item farming sweatshops in China. I suspect they passed this law to help destroy that industry.

Ages 18 to 24 are the target demographic for most MMOGs.

QM
2005-08-04, 7:16 PM #21
No I don't. You're just too stupid to get it.

target market for mmorpgs = minors.
target market for hardhats = construction workers.

A little more clear now?

He might have not been able to understand it that doesn't make him stupid. No need to insult him.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-08-04, 7:22 PM #22

Actually according to sites like this, the average age of WoW subscribers is somewhere in the high twenties, and although it doesnt really mean much I would say that would be about the average for my 100+ member guild.

They have some interesting junk on that site, like this graph:
Attachment: 6573/image005.gif (12,533 bytes)
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-08-04, 8:02 PM #23
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
He might have not been able to understand it that doesn't make him stupid. No need to insult him.

I understood it.

I just thought a better analogy would be more suitable to his point.
2005-08-04, 8:11 PM #24
Who gives a damn about the analogy for god's sake? It doesn't matter. The point is it is assanine for them to ban mmo games for minors, just as it would be assanine to ban hard hats for construction workers. He's not trying to say that minors need mmo games, he's just trying to illustrate the fact that it doesn't make any sense.

The analogy works fine in my eyes. But maybe I'm retarded just like the analogy...

Calm down for christ's sake. Stop nagging Freelancer.
>>untie shoes
2005-08-04, 8:16 PM #25
what I find most stupid is the whole 'can't throw away a picture of the leader' law they have
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-08-04, 9:14 PM #26
Originally posted by Genki:
what I find most stupid is the whole 'can't throw away a picture of the leader' law they have

hahahaha those silly communists. They make the taco nazis look bad
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-04, 9:16 PM #27
Everyone that was in my wow guild was 20+ years old. We only had one guy that was 16 but left because he felt we were neglected him. The oldest that I know of in that guild was a 36 year old mother who has 2 sons that also play wow.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-08-04, 9:40 PM #28
Eh, meh.

Most kids can be jackasses and retards.
Just wait until you see the ymtd (sp?) about the cloudsong. Best thing ever.

I don't really have a problem with maturity in my guilds, oddly enough I'm in the Horde PA guild, and then the official PA guild run by Gabe and Kara.

And you know how those people are.
Actually quite a nice group of people, somebody made a joke the other day about not needing an Auction house, he can just go to the guild channel.
2005-08-04, 10:33 PM #29
Did I mention how much I love you Bill? Please never leave again. :(
2005-08-04, 11:11 PM #30
Originally posted by Rob:
Good.

Amen.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-08-05, 5:18 AM #31
Does this also mean that Chinese kids can't play CS or whatever as well? Those are player kills.

[future posted?]
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2005-08-05, 5:48 AM #32
Isn't China having problems with kids staying in internet cafes for huge periods of time and playing these MMOs? It makes sense for them to pass something like that then.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-08-05, 7:38 AM #33
Well, the minors just need to wait a few years until they aren't minors anymore. Not a big deal.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS

↑ Up to the top!