Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Folding bike
Folding bike
2005-08-05, 1:55 PM #1
I need a bicycle that folds into.. something that could be considered carry on luggage for a bus.

It needs to not look stupid.. and fold into something lthat can be carried like a backpack, or that can be carried like a messenger bag.
2005-08-05, 1:56 PM #2
Oh, and I've googled it for a while..

I need pictures of what these things look like folded up.
2005-08-05, 1:58 PM #3
Might be a little too spendy.
Attachment: 6585/Hummeropenandclosedsilver.jpg (69,733 bytes)
2005-08-05, 1:58 PM #4
Real men carry their bikes up mountains.
2005-08-05, 2:00 PM #5
Originally posted by Anovis:
Dunnanananannanana BATMAN!

(What's the point of this thread?)

You're an idiot.

I wish they made a folding bike that was BMX-frame style. I don't need gears.
2005-08-05, 2:01 PM #6
Next time, after you insult your own intelligence for not reading a post, don't edit your post soon-after.
2005-08-05, 2:03 PM #7
No. Seriously. If you want information on a folding bike, go google it yourself. Don't waste our time by telling us you need a folding mountain bike. So what? Go get one.
2005-08-05, 2:06 PM #8
No. Seriously. If you want information on a folding bike, go google it yourself. Don't waste our time by telling us you need a folding mountain bike. So what? Go get one.

Dear Anovis, please take time to read...

Quote:
Oh, and I've googled it for a while..

I need pictures of what these things look like folded up.

And so what if he wants to make a thread of a folding mountain bike. I'm sure he would also like opinions, pics, comments, etc.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-08-05, 2:06 PM #9
I've already been googling it for a few hours.

Since my googling-record is pretty damn near flawless, I figured I'd ask here as I recall bike enthusiasm atleast being a fad here.

Oh, and I must say. Deciding to insult my intelligence because you said something stupid and I saw it.. well.. it makes you look bad kid.
2005-08-05, 2:11 PM #10
That's an opinion, Rob. I still don't see a point posting a thread saying "I want a fold-up mountain bike. The end."

Quote:
And so what if he wants to make a thread of a folding mountain bike. I'm sure he would also like opinions, pics, comments, etc.

Then he can ask for it.

Quote:
Since my googling-record is pretty damn near flawless, I figured I'd ask here as I recall bike enthusiasm atleast being a fad here.

You didn't ask anyone anything.
2005-08-05, 2:12 PM #11
That's an opinion, Rob. I still don't see a point posting a thread saying "I want a fold-up mountain bike. The end."

Then he can ask for it.

Your ego surpasses you. You didn't ask anyone anything.

Forgive me for assuming that the majority of the people here were intelligent enough to realize the obvious.
2005-08-05, 2:13 PM #12

And he broke what rule? He is simply asking for assistance in finding a product that's not very common place (to my knowledge). Everyone can post whatever they please so long as it does not break our rules.

Now you, Rob, do not insult. If someone is acting up, ignore or come to us.
[quote=Massassi Rules]No personal attacks, insults, or flames - This is one of our most important rules. Treat everyone with respect. If you do not agree with what someone is saying, do not flame or insult them.[/quote]
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-08-05, 2:13 PM #13
Oh. I thought you were just saying you wanted something.

It spawned a "Wtf?" moment.
2005-08-05, 2:16 PM #14

It's ok: I still don't see the point of post your desktop threads. :confused:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-05, 2:19 PM #15
Anyhow.

Folding BMX-style bike.

Can't find one.

Anyone know anything?
2005-08-05, 2:27 PM #16
Alls I know is that every single thread here is pointless if you come down to it.

But that's what makes it all work, gosh darn it. You see, this discussion forum is no longer a vibrant haven for developing community among people of similar interests. Nay, it has instead become, through the infinite perversion of our modern culture, merely a vehicle for narcissism, what with people posting willy-nilly this and that. 'Threads' are more like a bunch of chain links thrown in a pile. Instead of actually having a discussional progression, conversations become a matter of throwing out your opinion and moving on. It's more like a showcase. And when it isn't, it descends into the firey bowels of slagdom, where people obsessed with their notion of 'right' and 'wrong' think that the sole objective of their lonely existence is to prove that they are indeed the former and anyone who stands against them is woefully the latter, an idiot, and does not deserve to live. Even the least significant query, about perchance a bicycle, becomes yet another opportunity to slag slag slag once again and insult not only the topic of discussion, but he who proposed the topic, merely because it was irksome to have to view a topic unworthy of the slagger's consumption. If you don't like a thread, don't post there then. It's not worth your time. If, to you, it appears to have no worth or merit, but perhaps stands alone in a sea of other 'useful' threads, post in those other threads and not here, so this thread which you find such a sore to your browser will sink into the muck of obscurity.

That's my two cents.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-05, 2:29 PM #17
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
stuff

Agreed, then.
2005-08-05, 3:16 PM #18
http://www.gaerlan.com/
http://www.bikefriday.com/
http://www.dahon.com/
omnia mea mecum porto
2005-08-05, 3:19 PM #19

I looked at them, some are neat.. But most of these things are ugly. :(
2005-08-05, 3:26 PM #20
Actually, I was looking through one of those and spotted something I think actually like.
2005-08-05, 3:31 PM #21
It's the best I could do with 2 minutes; if you want to find more, I suggest entering "collapsible bike" instead of "folding."
omnia mea mecum porto
2005-08-05, 3:59 PM #22
What about Razor's Trikke? If I recall right from the infomercials, they can fold up and be put in a bag. Granted it's not a bike but it looks interesting.

http://www.razor-scooters.com/trikke-scooters/default.htm
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-08-05, 5:30 PM #23
That hummer looks freakin awesome.

Here's what I found. It folds, but I can't find a pic of it folded. :o I thought it looked rather BMX-ish.

[http://www.allproducts.com/bike/neobike/15w20-l.jpg]

26" 27-SP Full-SUS Alloy Folding. Here's the link.
2005-08-05, 9:03 PM #24
I think I'm going to go with the Dahon Matrix, or the Dahon Jack.

They're both mountain bikes... but meh. Might as well get something I can ride EVERYwhere.

Probably the Jack, as it only weighs in at about 27 pounds, and it's freaking sex.

The Jack
[http://www.dahon.com/images/jack.jpg]
Folded
[http://www.dahon.com/images/lf-jack.jpg]
$400

The Matrix
[http://www.dahon.com/images/matrix.jpg]
Folded
[http://www.dahon.com/images/lf-matrix.jpg]
$600

The Jack is cheaper.

Mostly because it's normal parts are cheaper stuff... which is fine by me. I have more than enough bike parts to replace normal bike parts.

According to the few review sites I checked, Dahon are definately the best to go with in the US.
2005-08-06, 6:30 AM #25
Just my 2 pence, but from what I've heard folding mountain bikes tend to be inherently weaker than a normal frame. It all depends on how hard you actually intend to ride your bike and how much you weigh. Finally all the extra hinges that come with fold-ups just add to the price, I personally wouldn't bother with a fold-up unless it's absolutely necessary that you're able to take your bike on the bus. Get a normal bike, with better specs for the price and just ride the bus trip too.

The Hummer bike does look nice though, little confused by the Rockshox Psylos; I don't think they make them anymore, frikkin' awesome forks anyway.

(Yeah, I'm a bit of a bike nerd)
2005-08-06, 11:19 AM #26
Originally posted by Recusant:
Just my 2 pence, but from what I've heard folding mountain bikes tend to be inherently weaker than a normal frame. It all depends on how hard you actually intend to ride your bike and how much you weigh. Finally all the extra hinges that come with fold-ups just add to the price, I personally wouldn't bother with a fold-up unless it's absolutely necessary that you're able to take your bike on the bus. Get a normal bike, with better specs for the price and just ride the bus trip too.

The Hummer bike does look nice though, little confused by the Rockshox Psylos; I don't think they make them anymore, frikkin' awesome forks anyway.

(Yeah, I'm a bit of a bike nerd)

I can't get to point A on the bike in the morning, or afternoon.. because the only way there is down a major roadway without anywhere to ride 90% of the way. In order to take a bike on the bus, it has to fold and go in a bag.

As far as the hinges breaking, I can probably fix them across the street with an aluminium mig welder.

I don't weigh that much, but I probably am going to beat the piss out of it. Which is one thing I considered. I found ONE dealership for these things thats in the area, and the guy I talked to said I can beat the piss out of the bikes and that it'll be okay.
2005-08-06, 1:21 PM #27
This thread is awesome, Rob :D. The point is quite evident. Best o' luck with the purchase and subsequent use!
2005-08-06, 8:15 PM #28
Why thankyou.

I'm almost 100% set on this. Probably run over and pick one up in a few weeks once I've saved money.

My mother however, is so dead set against this decision. I go out of my way to save her money on gas, help the environment, and myself and all she can do is yell my head off.

Mostly about "pluralnwordhere" that want to steal my bike. Psssshaw, grow up you god damned racist.

She threatened to throw me out if I bought the bike.

Oh wait, she doesn't own the house, my father does. She can get the hell out.

Infact, everyone I know is against this. I'm almost 20 years old. It's about damn time I take control of MY LIFE and become responsible for my own transportation. I don't need a damn car. It's only 6 miles. Thats like an hour tops, a half hour if I want to speed racer that junk. People don't seem to grasp the fact that I really don't plan on needing to drive now, or in the near future. It's just not something I require, and it's not something I'm worried about.

DEAL SUCKAS.

Think about all the money I'll save on gas. About how riding a bike is going to improve my health, get my pasty white *** in shape.

↑ Up to the top!