Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Help SAJN find a good school...
Help SAJN find a good school...
2005-08-05, 4:29 PM #1
I'm looking for a good college/school to go to after High School for Film Directing. I wanted to go to New York Film Acadamy, but my parents said I can't go because they can't afford housing. It costs around $800 - $1,500 dollars a month for an apartment (thats if your sharing the cost with others). So that cost PLUS school expenses = Rape in my pocket. So I need some help from you guys. Post links and other useful information so I can check out these places. I'm on google right now, but I can't find anything I like so far.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-08-05, 4:30 PM #2
Ucla
Pissed Off?
2005-08-05, 4:43 PM #3
If you don't know by no how to research and find the best school possible for you needs, someone hasnt been teaching you how to be a high school senior.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-08-05, 4:43 PM #4
We should take bets as to how many posts it will take for someone to come in and say RIT
Stuff
2005-08-05, 4:44 PM #5
RIT does have a film school.
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
2005-08-05, 4:45 PM #6
Quote:
Choose your own damn school. If you don't know by no how to research and find the best school possible for you needs, someone hasnt been teaching you how to be a high school senior.

Yeah, um about that...Shut up. I'm ignoring any more crap you put in my threads. Now get the hell out and let the people who are trying to be mature and help, HELP.
2005-08-05, 4:46 PM #7
ITT Tech. Seriously. You can get a degree in less then 2 years.

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-08-05, 4:47 PM #8
Go to USC if you want film.

Odds are by the time you graduate you won't be majoring in film anymore. It'll probably be video.
>>untie shoes
2005-08-05, 4:48 PM #9
Quote:
Odds are by the time you graduate you won't be majoring in film anymore. It'll probably be video.

Why is that?
2005-08-05, 4:58 PM #10
Cause you realize you will be broke for the rest of your life.

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-08-05, 5:04 PM #11
i gotz a phd in the skool of hardknockz yo
2005-08-05, 5:09 PM #12
Because SAJN, film is too expensive. Shooting 45 minute production on 16mm black and white costs over 200 grand, and that is if it's silent. With sound it'll be an extra 50 grand. Shooting a 45 minute production on video costs... well... a mini DV tape is about 3 dollars. And to get a total of 45 minutes after editing you'd probably need 3 hours of footage. So we'll say 9 dollars. The best part about video being if you screw up, and it's a foul take, you can just record over it. In film, once you've shot it, it's gone forever.

Video is much more economic. I bought my camera for five thousand. It shoots in high definition and you can't tell the difference between footage shot with this Sony MiniDV camera and footage shot with a 35mm Panavision. The only difference:

If we shot the same 2.25 hour project. It would cost me 30 dollars. It would cost the guy with the Panavision 30 million. That is why film is on the way out, and video is on the way in. It used to be people preferred film to video because film has that film look. You know, the difference between a Hollywood movie and a Soap Opera? Well these days that line is gone. With the purchase of a 3000 dollar camera you can shoot in 24 frames per second, and it looks like film. With the purchase of a 5000 dollar camera you can shoot film like footage which is also high definition. Do you realize that under these circumstances Revenge of the Sith would have cost about 500 million to create? Instead, by shooting it on video it only cost 113 million. Now granted 113 million is a big budget, but not for what we got in that movie.

Digital technology is the way of the future. Just like dial up, coax cable, and fm radio, film is on it's way out. It's already been all but phased out in the still photography world, and it won't take long before the same happens in the motion picture world.
>>untie shoes
2005-08-05, 6:09 PM #13
Well by Film I meant like movies. I was aiming for digital in the first place. Sorry if I made you think 'film' film. That's my fault. I should have said making movies, not making films.
2005-08-05, 7:14 PM #14
Bill just likes to flaunt his knowledge on the subject.
Pissed Off?
2005-08-05, 7:30 PM #15
Guilty.. *shrugs*

The difference between film and digital is just a nomenclature thing. I hate when short videos at my school say "a film by..." because it's not film. It's video.

But that's cool that you want digital.

I would still reccomend USC because Lucas basically owns the film program, and there is no larger advocate of High Definition Video than him.
>>untie shoes
2005-08-05, 7:39 PM #16
Robert Rodriguez is a big reason I wanted to get into film making. The guy is making movies in his house! He made Once Upon A Time In Mexico in a few weeks. Did the score himself on the computer and with his guitar, and did the special effects in his own garage. The man is amazing.
2005-08-05, 7:40 PM #17
I have to go with Ubuu on this one.

You definitely need to spend a lot of time researching, just asking us and expecting an answer will probably not work out. If cost is such a concern, you have to either look for loans or look for a school close by so you can continue mooching off of your parents. I'm not familiar with any film schools in the New England area, but I have dealt a bit with the financial aspects of school. I'm not sure if you are academically inclined, but there are quite a few sites with information on scholarships that you can apply for. If $800-1000 is too much, try and get as many scholarships as you can. Even if it is only $100, every bit helps. Basically, if you plan to dorm and you don't get a scholarship, your pocket will get "raped." You can have it all and expect to pay little to nothing; you're going to have to invest a lot to dorm at a good school. You may very well spend years paying back loans. My father struggled with it for years, so I decided to go to a local school instead and live at home. Not being in heavy debt when I graduate is going to be a wonderful feeling. Staying at home is really not that bad, so I think you should consider that option.

You might want to post more information about yourself, such as your grades, what kind of school you are looking for ("film" isn't very descriptive), and how much you can afford to spend. If you are really set on the New York Film Academy, then I suggest seeing what options you have for loans or grants.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2005-08-05, 7:46 PM #18
I've been looking for colleges since mid Junior year in High School. I'm just not having much luck on the subject. I'm a B student about. My GPA floats around 2.8 - 3.0 (out of 4.0) but each year in school I've been doing better, and Senior year is a hella lot easier than Junior Year (atleast in electronics) plus I don't have a science this year which was hurting my grade, and to make it better I have American History which I really like. So I figure maybe 3.0 - 3.5 next year, but overall I think 'B student' describes me best. I am taking the SAT's again in October, now that I've taken them once, i know what to really study and prepare for. Also, I really don't care where the college is. New England or not. Canada, UK, anywhere else in the US. I'm asking you guys to help me look ONTOP of myself looking. I don't see anything wrong with that.
2005-08-05, 7:58 PM #19
Just pick the best school for your needs. If you don't want to go too far then find one in your area. You're not really going to learn alot in one school as opposed to the other. It all has to come from inside you anyway.
>>untie shoes
2005-08-05, 11:14 PM #20
Ummm film is just a word. Movies are called "films" all the time. I've never heard anyone say "hey, lets go the movies and see that new Star Wars video". They either say movie or film.
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-06, 7:47 AM #21
As I said, it's simply a problem of nomenclature and the ignorance most people exhibit with it. It's not really a big deal. Most people are just uneducated.
>>untie shoes
2005-08-06, 12:33 PM #22
Go do your own college research, this is something that a group of online forumers really can't help you with.

When I picked out a college I found sites like CollegeBoard and Princeton Review to be invaluable. Start there and talk to your school counselor about any colleges you are consdiering.

Good luck!
2005-08-06, 7:58 PM #23
My school counseler is a moron. Everyone knows it. I don't know why she hasn't been fired yet. She used to be a special education teacher...Chances are she was a student one time too. (Thanks for the sites)
2005-08-06, 11:31 PM #24
It doesn't matter. My counselor was too but they can still provide valuable connections to scholarships and other stuff. Just keep talking to him/her...be as annoying as possible.
2005-08-06, 11:38 PM #25
My friend who is majoring in some sort of film or video something is going to U of Miami, apparently they have a great fiil/movie program. They're also a huge party school (well it is Miami) so that may or may not be what you want. On the opposite side of the spectrum, Emerson College has a good program too, and it's a great school, you're almost guarenteed a job after you leave there and it's in Boston, and my other friend who is into making movies and will definitely be a famous director someday without any doubt in my mind is going to NYU, but then again, that's insanely expensive and impossible to get into. Collegeboard.com is wonderful, I highly suggest it.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2005-08-07, 12:13 AM #26
Start looking into scholarships now. There are tons available, and I'm sure you'll be able to get where ever you want if you try hard enough to get them.

↑ Up to the top!