Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Backyard Gaming (Laptops!)
Backyard Gaming (Laptops!)
2005-08-05, 7:02 PM #1
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a laptop for next school year. The reason I'm buying it is not for a new gaming computer, but I figure since I'd be spending a wad of cash on it anyways, it might as well be able to fulfill some of my needs as a gamer :D

I'm looking for a laptop that will play at least WC3, WOW, Starcraft, and CS 1.6. I'm looking to spend 1400-1700$ CAD. Any suggestions on good deals, and what to look for would be greatly. Must be available in Canada.
2005-08-05, 7:04 PM #2
The Gateway...7510GX or something like that...look at that, I hear it's pretty good,a nd cheap.
Warhead[97]
2005-08-05, 7:11 PM #3
If you want decent gaming performance, you'll want to look at something with a mobile Radeon card, etc. because onboard/shared cards blow.
Pissed Off?
2005-08-05, 8:13 PM #4
Whatever you get, avoid anything that says:

Intel Extreme Graphics
S3 video
Trident
E-machines
Celeron
256MB RAM
1watt speakers
XP Home

All of that I think no one will have issues with.
Now here's the stuff other people will argue with me about (still stuff to avoid, in my opinion):

Apple
Dell (If you need to know why, PM me. Apparently everyone is tired of hearing why.)
5200RPM (If at ALL possible. These suckers can really slow load times)
2005-08-05, 8:14 PM #5
Apple laptop for gaming?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-08-06, 7:55 AM #6
I doubt an Apple is within my budget, and I need it to be PC for software I will use.
2005-08-06, 8:44 AM #7
iBooks aren't too pricey, and are rather decent, but he won't be able to play some of the games he wants to play on one. If it were me, I'd go with Dell or Asus.
2005-08-06, 10:22 AM #8
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Whatever you get, avoid anything that says:
Now here's the stuff other people will argue with me about (still stuff to avoid , in my opinion):

Apple
Dell (If you need to know why, PM me. Apparently everyone is tired of hearing why.)
5200RPM (If at ALL possible. These suckers can really slow load times)[/QUOTE]

He's saying they are NOT good for gaming.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-08-06, 12:37 PM #9
The new iBooks have a Radeon 9550. The Powerbooks (besides the 12 inch) have 9700. Both of those are capable of running all the games there (except CS, no mac support).

5400 RPM drives are fine, if you want to put up with the extra power consumption and noise/heat output of a 7200 drive that's fine too though. I'd say avoid 4200 drives.

EDIT: And the only real decent onboard graphics card is the eXpress 200m. It really is leaps and bounds ahead of any Intel or SiS chipset.

↑ Up to the top!