Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → FCC to require backdoors for the Feds
FCC to require backdoors for the Feds
2005-08-07, 4:27 PM #1
http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2005_08.php#003876
http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Surveillance/CALEA/

This is pretty wild. This piece of legislation expands the CALEA law that provided help for Federal phone tapping to allowing the same basic thing for computers. But beyond that, it actually requires software companies, VOIP providers, and ISPs to intentionally provide the backdoors.

Besides the fact that this could probably help out hackers, there's the whole issue of how uneccessary this is. The Feds already have the capability of tapping pretty much all other comunications, and with a warrant can seize computers anyway. I tend to shy away from the whole big brother conspiracy stuff, but this is ridiculous. I know there's the idea that terrorist cells could communicate on media that isn't currently "tappable," but I seriously doubt that that is all it would be used on.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2005-08-07, 4:58 PM #2
I dont care how many back doors the Fed's want, they aint touching my system. And if they can break my security, well, then they are welcome to my data...
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-08-07, 5:33 PM #3
[QUOTE=Bounty Hunter 4 hire]FCC to require backdoors which hackers will exploit more than Feds will use[/QUOTE]

fixed.

2005-08-07, 5:34 PM #4
i have macaffee firewall... surely they'll NEVER break through that.

If they can, they can have a look at my 12 Gigs of pr0n
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-08-07, 6:43 PM #5
Originally posted by gbk:
I dont care how many back doors the Fed's want, they aint touching my system. And if they can break my security, well, then they are welcome to my data...

Heaven forbid they get their paws on Ode To Suzanne... :rolleyes:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-07, 6:49 PM #6
Quote:
12 Gigs of pr0n

:eek: Can I have a look at your 12 gigs of pr0n :eek:

;)
Think while it's still legal.
2005-08-07, 7:06 PM #7
*closes down kaazaa*

actually, make that 13 gigs ;)
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-08-07, 7:13 PM #8
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
Heaven forbid they get their paws on Ode To Suzanne... :rolleyes:

Hahaha!
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-08-07, 7:34 PM #9
And if they can break my security, well, then they are welcome to my data...

I'm willing to bet they wouldn't have too difficult of a time breaking the security on any of our systems.
Life is beautiful.
2005-08-07, 7:38 PM #10
Originally posted by Ruthven:
i have macaffee firewall... surely they'll NEVER break through that.

Thank you Ruthen! I havn't laughed that hard in a long time :D (though 13gb of pr0n is hardly something worth protecting)
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2005-08-07, 7:51 PM #11
Breaking news: the government is f***ing stupid.
2005-08-07, 8:28 PM #12
come on guys, why should you be worried if you have nothing to hide

only terrists lol :rolleyes:
2005-08-07, 11:43 PM #13
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Breaking news: the government is f***ing stupid.

Thats not breaking news thats old news.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-08-07, 11:47 PM #14
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
Thats not breaking news thats old news.

I know. I was hoping to convey sarcasm. This is just another entry in a long list of stupid things the government has done.
2005-08-08, 12:13 AM #15
Originally posted by Warlord:

Haha, yeah I love it when people use logic like that.

There is really nothing I can say about this subject that hasn't been resaid and rehashed forever. I am just getting so tired of this.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-08-08, 12:24 AM #16

You'd better wear your tinfoil hat too, because the feds use mind control rays and microwaves on you too.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-08, 3:33 AM #17
Originally posted by Warlord:

It's not the reason, it's the idea.

It's a bunch of crap. This machine is MY PRIVATE PROPERTY, and if I want to keep the blinds down on it, the goverment should respect that. Instead however, they constantly try to look in my freaking window. (Good pun, right?)

This is illegal search and seizure, even if it is with a warrant. I mean, it's not like I'm ever going to see the warrant they had filled to tap my damn phone or internet untill after they've already done it. TOTAL crap.
2005-08-08, 4:39 AM #18
Originally posted by Rob:
It's not the reason, it's the idea.

It's a bunch of crap. This machine is MY PRIVATE PROPERTY, and if I want to keep the blinds down on it, the goverment should respect that. Instead however, they constantly try to look in my freaking window. (Good pun, right?)

This is illegal search and seizure, even if it is with a warrant. I mean, it's not like I'm ever going to see the warrant they had filled to tap my damn phone or internet untill after they've already done it. TOTAL crap.

yeah i agree. my post was satirical.
2005-08-08, 5:02 AM #19
countdown to the first court case against a FBI agent who used it to steal credit card numbers......

Really, though. What are they going to do, make SSH and HTTPS illegal? Anybody who does anything 'illegal' is going to use encrypted data as it is right now.
2005-08-08, 5:15 AM #20
Originally posted by Freelancer:
You'd better wear your tinfoil hat too, because the feds use mind control rays and microwaves on you too.

Why, because he wants his right to PRIVATE PROPERTY one of the ideas this nation was founded on? Your post is not only nonsensical, but it needlessly makes fun of GBK. Quoting lv: Go choke on something sharp.
D E A T H
2005-08-08, 5:48 AM #21
Originally posted by Freelancer:

[http://dor.nullmind.org/arc/orbitalmindcontrollasers.gif]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-08-08, 3:25 PM #22
I think it's mainly going to be aimed at hackers, as if they couldn't figure out a way to avoid or be aware of it. How hard is it going to be for a "hacker" to just hit start>run>cmd>netstat -an ?

I'm not a hacker and "command prompt" is second highest on my start list of frequently used programs.
2005-08-08, 3:41 PM #23

Do you even know if they know how to get through to your linux Distro?

They would boot it up and be all "Wtf."
2005-08-08, 3:57 PM #24
Yay for living in Europe.
nope.
2005-08-08, 4:07 PM #25
Originally posted by Ruthven:
*closes down kaazaa*

actually, make that 13 gigs ;)

Lightweight... I peaked near 35 gigs. Had to scale back though, but I still have 2 DVD-Rs full.
Stuff
2005-08-08, 4:19 PM #26
I have the side of my machine unscrewed so that if the feds come for all my illegal music, I'll just rip out my HD and toss it out the window. ;)
2005-08-08, 4:26 PM #27
...and they'll find it out on the sidewalk? :p
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-08-08, 4:35 PM #28
Originally posted by Wolfy:
...and they'll find it out on the sidewalk? :p

Damaged, very damaged.

:D
2005-08-08, 4:46 PM #29
I'd just take it out and run a nice nail through it.
2005-08-08, 5:02 PM #30
Magnets are fun.
D E A T H
2005-08-08, 9:33 PM #31
Let's just hope the Supreme Court strikes that new law down as unconstitutional.
Made you look
2005-08-08, 9:40 PM #32
I imagine Linux and security gurus could lock down their PCs pretty tight, rendering most backdoors not-so-effective. I mean, yeah, I'm sure the feds could break in if they wanted, but if you really feel "wide open" and think it could be exploited by hackers, I'm sure there are plenty of steps you could take to prevent that. Of course it might be illegal...

...but something tells me this won't go very far because of personal security from people OTHER than the feds.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-08-08, 10:04 PM #33
Car crashes kill way more people than terrorists, why don't we try to make cars safer?

↑ Up to the top!