Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Gnome or KDE... which do you prefer?
Gnome or KDE... which do you prefer?
2005-08-08, 9:43 PM #1
I just set up an ubuntu box, and to celebrate, I'm having two beers and I'm making this thread while drinking the two beers. :)

Personally, I prefer KDE. No technical reason in particular, I just like the look of the interface, plus the KDE command center. Plus, I like the KDE packages a lot more.
2005-08-08, 9:49 PM #2
seconded
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-08, 9:58 PM #3
E17
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2005-08-08, 10:01 PM #4
OS X AUI (Aqua User Interface)
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-08-08, 10:03 PM #5
[QUOTE=West Wind]E17[/QUOTE]

I've been meaning to check out enlightenment, but i've never gotten around to it.

thats interesting to say the least.. I was wondering if someone made an OSX clone interface for linux. Does the dock-like object in enlightenment do everything the dock in the real OSX does? (like progressively resizing icons to huge sizes as you move your pointer near them? I love that feature)

can I get this with apt-get in ubuntu?
2005-08-08, 10:13 PM #6
I’m probably going to have to say no to both of your questions. For one, E16 (the enlightenment we know and love) was all about a lightweight menu interface based on various clicks on empty desktop space (left click for shortcuts, middle click for settings, right click for all programs... configured to suit). The dock in E17 is just them showing off their widget like abilities, and right now it is REALLY hard to customize things (that shot is NOT from my system, its a demo shot from their site).

As for App-get, you’ll be lucky if you can get the original Enlightenment over it. E17 is only available through CVS, and it a B**** to build... But its smooth and sleek and sexy :D
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2005-08-08, 10:14 PM #7
I'd have to say KDE, despite the bloat. It just has a number of convienent features I like.
:master::master::master:
2005-08-08, 10:18 PM #8
Neither really. To be honest, I really don't care all for the X Window System in Linux. Now MacOS X is where it's at. Nice, clean, visual, and not cumbersome. If someone or a group creates a windowing system similar to MacOS X, I will petition to have their children regardless of gender.

I'm burned out and tired of Windows. Linux GUI just doesn't suit me (which is why I like the command prompt). I wish wish wish Apple would get the clue that there is a demand for their products. But they INSIST on having their products be several hundred dollars more expensive than the rest. :sigh:
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-08-08, 10:18 PM #9
Originally posted by stat:
I'd have to say KDE, despite the bloat. It just has a number of convienent features I like.

I actualy don't mind bloat, as long as it doesn't slow the system down. I like having as many things at my disposal as possible right from the start.
2005-08-08, 10:24 PM #10
Gnome recently, because I don't do much work in a GUI anymore and it's lightweight and nice.

And it appears E17 has *finally* surfaces so I'll try that sometime.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-08-08, 11:54 PM #11
Xfce 4.2
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2005-08-08, 11:55 PM #12
Another reason is that it's what I was taught, what I started with. I don't really have an overwhelming need to switch desktop environments. It would probably be the same if my friend showed me Gnome from the get-go.
:master::master::master:
2005-08-09, 2:16 AM #13
Gnome is nice for several reasons. It embraces a cleaner, more standardized user interface design than KDE and the majority of KDE applications. On the other hand, KDE has cleaner code and a more reliable release cycle.

It used to be a tossup for me, but Qt is really showing its shine these days and KDevelop has emerged to become the most powerful Linux IDE (even better than Anjuta, the Gnome equivalent).
2005-08-09, 1:05 PM #14
kde when in linux.
2005-08-09, 1:51 PM #15
I prefer the slim feel of Gnome. I started on KDE and quickly became disgusted with the many "features" which surrounded me. Gnome also "looks" better to me. When comparing the default KDE vs Gnome envirenment, Gnome hands down. I say default because I am not interested in wrangling w/ new icon / font / theme sets.

Gnome, clean and easy.
I am married to Wuss. He's beast.
2005-08-09, 3:23 PM #16
Gnome looks/feels better, to me, but I'm no Linux guru, so I can't say which is actually better. I believe my Ubuntu Live CD is using Gnome, but I've also used Mandrake & Knoppix, both of which were using KDE, if I remember correctly.
2005-08-09, 3:49 PM #17
LiteStep *****es. >.>
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2005-08-09, 3:54 PM #18
Gnome looks and feels better to me.
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2005-08-09, 4:00 PM #19
Quote:
And it appears E17 has *finally* surfaces so I'll try that sometime.

dormouse was the only person i ever knew of that could use any of the enlightenment desktops. i found it novel but of no use.
2005-08-09, 4:47 PM #20
Originally posted by Malus:
Xfce 4.2

But between those two, Gnome, just because I can't freaking stand KDE. I hate bloat.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-08-09, 5:38 PM #21
I like KDE more, but Gnome has a far cooler name.
2005-08-09, 5:49 PM #22
If it has to be linux, fluxbox.
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2005-08-09, 6:00 PM #23
Originally posted by BurrBoy:
...I can't freaking stand KDE. I hate bloat.

Bloat there may be, but KIO slaves kick so much arse.

KDE wins.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-08-10, 9:00 AM #24
Originally posted by Aaron:
If it has to be linux, fluxbox.

Fluxbox ftw. Awesome themes available, runs even on super-crap systems, and absolutely no bloat whatsoever.

↑ Up to the top!