Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Sweet sweet birthday money.
Sweet sweet birthday money.
2005-08-09, 5:11 PM #1
Alright, so I got about 170 bucks for my birthday, and had saved up another 40 dollars. Me, ever the computer nerd, decided to spend it on computer components (that along with the fact that I needed an upgrade quite badly). I ended up spending it on a gig of RAM, a logitech microphone, an MX518, and a saitek keyboard. These are probably some of the best purchases I've ever made.

Let's start off with the keyboard. It's silent, it's sturdy, it's black and has a blue LED shining out from under the keys, and is a real dream to type on. It's also a 104 key oldschool layout keyboard. Best keyboard I've ever used. The mouse, the MX518, goes perfectly with my icemat. Before I was using an MX1000 which (quite unfortunately) had a problem with the mousepad whenever I moved the mouse too fast. The MX518, lacking this problem, is indeed a dream to use, and is much lighter which is another plus. The microphone...well it's a microphone. The gig of RAM--I must implore everyone here with a decent system that a gig of RAM is CRUCIAL (pun intended) to your performance. Honestly, almost all games load faster, run smoother, and have next to no dips anymore. I'm yet to try Half Life 2, but that's something I plan on trying tomorrow (gotta download it from Steam). Also, all these accessories finished out my computer's color scheme almost perfectly (black, silver, with blue LED's). All I have to do is find a way to paint my case (speaking of which, anybody know the best kinds of paint to use on an aluminum computer case? Paints that work well on plastics would also be appreciated.) and I'll be set.

True, my parts came in quite a few weeks after my birthday (July 26th) and true I probably could have found a better use for this money seeing as how I am a senior this year, but I figured that these components should last me a good long while.

I figure everyone gets their blog post once in a while, so here's mine.

[/blog]
D E A T H
2005-08-09, 5:40 PM #2
no the feelin im just about to blow £215 birthday money on a graphics card.
2005-08-09, 7:15 PM #3
i dont really have much money right now, but when I do I'm gonna spend no more than 200 on upgrading my computer.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, they're awesome, wont be replacing them for MANY years. The Monitor is 19 inch and good condition, and speakers are small but produce high quality sound.

The tower itself however is another matter.

The panels are falling off the front, and the blue plasma light inside has blown.
It has 1Ghz processor, not sufficient to run fruityloops and its miriad of effect generators.
Its has 512 RAM, probably wont need to back that up.
But the graphics and sounds card... YUCH!! 32 Meg hercules XT something, basically rubbish, and the sound card is buggy and useless.

Oh, and only 40 gigs of space.

So a new tower, new video and sound cards, less than 200 quid?

maybe
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-08-09, 7:28 PM #4
Sweet.
2005-08-09, 7:31 PM #5
I love my Saitek keyboard (I have the silver gamer's one..would love a black one, though) & an MX1000 -- gotta love it :)

I wouldn't want to paint my aluminum case..I kinda like the look -- but I used engine paint on the last case I painted. It wore off the plastic, but held up great on the metal..
woot!
2005-08-09, 9:50 PM #6
Just bought the gig of RAM and the keyboard myself. Waiting for the mouse to go down just a tad.

[/yoshiwannabe]
2005-08-09, 10:06 PM #7
Don't wait for the mouse--it probably won't go down for a good few months at least, probably a year. It's an awesome mouse though.
D E A T H
2005-08-10, 1:07 AM #8
My birthday is coming up too.. but I'll probably spend my money on drugs and alcohol.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-08-10, 4:33 AM #9
My b-day was on 1st of August. I didnt get money, few presents( BattleField 2 n new mp3-player :p ), but on next B-days I think I'll get money only.

PS. Of course I got money from grandmas n from one aunt. It was suprise that my aunt remember my B-day. :p
2005-08-10, 6:19 AM #10
I'm getting about 180 bucks for B-day on Sep 23, and its going towards a XBOX 360!!!
This is not the sig you are looking for. Move along.
2005-08-10, 6:23 AM #11
YAAAAY!!!! :rolleyes:
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-10, 7:32 AM #12
I have £1700, what should I do massassi?
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-08-10, 7:36 AM #13
Silent keyboard?

LAME.

CLICKETY CLICKETY KAK goes the keyboard.
2005-08-10, 8:16 AM #14
Originally posted by Detty:
I have £1700, what should I do massassi?

give it to me you big english hunk, 1700 durruh mmmmmmm.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-08-10, 8:55 AM #15
I have like $6000 right now... of course it's all for school; though I may skim some off to buy a bigger power supply and some quieter fans for my compy.
Stuff
2005-08-10, 9:01 AM #16
Originally posted by Rob:
Silent keyboard?

LAME.

CLICKETY CLICKETY KAK goes the keyboard.

Well it's still clickety clack but it's not 50 freaking decibels just hearing the keys smash together and whatnot. Big improvement on the old one. It's also a lot more sensitive, making it a lot easier to type.
D E A T H
2005-08-10, 9:11 AM #17
I need a new keyboard and mouse. So on October 1st, birthday, I'll spend money on that, and probably save the rest for Italy this coming spring. I already upgraded my computer, so don't need to spend any more moneyz on that.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"

↑ Up to the top!