Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → US dismisses human rights
US dismisses human rights
2005-08-11, 7:41 AM #1
Quote:
"Someone who's inadmissible is in the same category as the people that the CIA snatches and grabs from other countries," said Barbara Olshansky, a lawyer for the U.S.-based Center for Constitutional Rights, which is suing a number of U.S. officials on Arar's behalf.

"You are fair game for however executive branch wants to treat you."

Mason said the interpretation means travellers can be detained without charge, denied the right to consult a lawyer, and even refused necessities such as food and sleep.

from http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/08/11/arar-lawsuit050811.html

US policy also claims that'
Quote:
a foreign passenger detained while travelling through a U.S. airport might have a limited right to protection from "gross physical abuse."

Quote:
U.S. officials can't be sued under the Torture Victims Protection Act because it only applies to foreign individuals committing or allowing torture.

Quote:
the Justice Department has defined torture to mean "pain consistent with major organ failure or death."

so my question is, how can these seemingly inteligent people be so ****ing stupid as to make a statement like this knowing it will be broadcast internationally and think that they are becoming more secure. statements like these breed hatred, animosity and terrorism.

WTF!!
2005-08-11, 7:45 AM #2
No suprises there. As in, the amazing logic is always there.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-08-11, 7:46 AM #3
Quote:
Mason said the interpretation means travellers can be detained without charge, denied the right to consult a lawyer, and even refused necessities such as food and sleep.

Now, I'm not a fan of the Patriot Act or a number of other anti-terrorism measures we've put in place, but I have to say I'm very skeptical about this claim.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-08-11, 7:46 AM #4
I personally think the US doesn't care. Breed animosity? Been there, done that. Terrorism? Already happened. Hatred? For crying out loud, there's plenty of evidence just here on this board. This is a policy along the line of everyone else be damned. we're going to take care of ourselves.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-08-11, 7:47 AM #5
Because there's nothing anyone can do about it.
2005-08-11, 7:53 AM #6
Which is exactly what they want you to say.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-11, 8:02 AM #7
It'd be nice if the article actually had evidence to back it up. Mostly it's just "hey this guy said this."
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-08-11, 8:05 AM #8
the statement was recorded and made in front of reporters. and the cbc is not some left wing nut web site.
2005-08-11, 8:07 AM #9
Yeah, seems pretty outrageous to me, or 'even more outrageous than usual'. Gonna try to find some sources.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-08-11, 8:13 AM #10
They did that to a CANADIAN? Are they out of their minds?
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2005-08-11, 8:33 AM #11
Wow: Check out this timeline.
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2005-08-11, 8:42 AM #12
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050810.warar0810/BNStory/International/

and the new york times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/10/nyregion/10civil.html
2005-08-11, 8:47 AM #13
I'd say it's torture enough to navigate our bureaucracy. After you experience that, anything is bearable.
2005-08-11, 9:07 AM #14
This cabinet gets worse and worse every single day.
D E A T H
2005-08-11, 9:09 AM #15
Quote:
Which is exactly what they want you to say.

I don't presume to know what such a corrupt goverment wants their people to believe, but my statement remains true, regardless.
2005-08-11, 10:17 AM #16
Wow, that's horrible. I think as long as you are visiting this country legally, you should have basic rights. Though, before condemning the US about arresting this guy and deporting him to Syria, I'd like to actually see the evidence they had against him. He actually could have been linked to a terrorist organization or he could have been a simple citizen. No one here knows.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-08-11, 10:20 AM #17
While it may be going a little far, a country should have the right to allow or deny access to it's borders as it sees fit..
Pissed Off?
2005-08-11, 10:27 AM #18
Indeed. I'm sure many of you would get your panties wound up if Illegal Aliens were denied access to rights US citizens have too.
2005-08-11, 10:48 AM #19
Quote:
I personally think the US doesn't care. Breed animosity? Been there, done that. Terrorism? Already happened. Hatred? For crying out loud, there's plenty of evidence just here on this board. This is a policy along the line of everyone else be damned. we're going to take care of ourselves.

Uhuh. Made me think of this Bad Religion Lyric.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2005-08-11, 10:57 AM #20
Originally posted by Avenger:
While it may be going a little far, a country should have the right to allow or deny access to it's borders as it sees fit..

Then he should have been deported back to canada, not syria.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-08-11, 3:55 PM #21
Who cares

P.S. that was rhetorical, so shutup
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-11, 3:58 PM #22
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Who cares

P.S. that was rhetorical, so shutup

I care. I don't care if it's rhetorical, I still care, and I think this is BS. Frankly, I'm disappointed that you don't share the feeling, but not at all surprised.
D E A T H
2005-08-11, 4:02 PM #23
I stopped caring a long time ago. If Bush wants to turn America into a torture-using, rights-abusing, police state I say go for it. I don't really care. Go with the flow. Torture is cool anyway
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-11, 4:33 PM #24
Great way to look at it. In fact, that's the motto that everyone should adopt. Life would be just grand, then.
D E A T H
2005-08-11, 5:04 PM #25
Am I the only that remembers this from way back? Last I heard Canada misplaced the records that he was a canadian citizen and the only record there was was of him being a born in syria.
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2005-08-11, 5:11 PM #26
What did they do to him?
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-08-11, 5:59 PM #27
canada is at fault in his case too. but doesn't it seem weird how US policy is too free the world of oppression and torture by the use of oppression and torture?
2005-08-11, 7:02 PM #28
[QUOTE=Darth Evad]canada is at fault in his case too. but doesn't it seem weird how US policy is too free the world of oppression and torture by the use of oppression and torture?[/QUOTE]
Kind of reminds me of the idea that WWI was the war to end all wars.
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...

↑ Up to the top!