Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New fad: McDonald's Diet?
New fad: McDonald's Diet?
2005-08-11, 3:02 PM #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050811/ap_on_he_me/fit_mcdonald_s_diets

I'm kind of glad to see this. I get so freaking tired of hearing about "Super Size Me" and how McDonald's is fattening the world.

Just goes to show that you are what you eat.

What about Jared from Subway? I'm sure I could go there every meal and get fat and be like "WTF?!".

Yes, McDonald's has some very unhealthy food. But just cause you eat there does not mean you will get fat. Moderation, choosing wisely, and exercise are big factors.
2005-08-11, 3:08 PM #2
You bring up a good point: moderation is key and exercise is essential. However, I think most would agree that eating all your meals for a month at Subway would still leave you somewhat healthier than instituting the same regimen at McDonald's.
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-08-11, 3:18 PM #3
Quote:
But just cause you eat there does not mean you will get fat.

Yes it does.

Eating anything will make you fat. That's sort of the whole point of eating.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-08-11, 3:21 PM #4
I've eaten lots of food throughout my life, and I am not fat. Am I doing something wrong?
I'm just a little boy.
2005-08-11, 3:32 PM #5
Originally posted by Flirbnic:
I've eaten lots of food throughout my life, and I am not fat. Am I doing something wrong?

You're chewing too much. Inhale instead.
omnia mea mecum porto
2005-08-11, 4:40 PM #6
I always thought the point of eating was to fuel the body. If you take in more fuel than you are using, you need to stick some place, so you get fat. It all depends on your own definition of "fat". If fat = fueling the body, then by all means, go fatten yourself. :D
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-11, 5:04 PM #7
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
New fad: McDonald's Diet?

Now there's an oxymoron.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-08-11, 5:53 PM #8
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Now there's an oxymoron.

The article says otherwise.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-08-11, 6:40 PM #9
OK

1.) How can anyone eat only at McDonald's that much? Ew.

2.) That woman was a construction worker. I could eat at McDonald's 3 times a day and STILL loose weight, I have a freakishly high metabolism. Does that mean they are wrong?

My brother Peter, a fire fighter, got a beer gut that took him a year to get rid of because of fast food.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-08-11, 6:41 PM #10
Originally posted by THRAWN:
OK

1.) How can anyone eat only at McDonald's that much? Ew.

2.) That woman was a construction worker. I could eat at McDonald's 3 times a day and STILL loose weight, I have a freakishly high metabolism. Does that mean they are wrong?

My brother Peter, a fire fighter, got a beer gut that took him a year to get rid of because of fast food.

Because of fast food? You've narrowed it down conclusively? My.

McDonalds' food is a lot better now than it was a few years ago (though I still think their burgers suck the big one).
D E A T H
2005-08-11, 7:02 PM #11
Dj Yoshi, he use to come into the Kroger I worked at when I was 16 every week and bought pretty much the exact same stuff. 1 pizza, 3 bottles of Dr Pepper, some ice cream cone nut things, toilet paper and a few other things. No steak, no burger meat, no veggies or fruit or juice. Usually his total bill came to around $35. Every other night he was getting Burger King and Wendy's and Jack in the Box. Never McDonald's.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-08-11, 7:34 PM #12
McDonald's is at fault just as much as people are. They spend so freaking much money on advertising. They have stores all over the WORLD. They know how much fat is in their food, and they know how many people they serve each day, and they know what food people buy. If a person eats a burger every day there, and McDonald's goes one day "OMFG WE HAVE SALADS TOO!" You think that 300lb woman purchasing a salad or two is going to help her? No. Second of all, do you think that lady who has been eating a burger a day for a year or two is even going to get the salad? No. People get hooked on the food, then they need more, and it's hard for a fat person to eat less than they are used to.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-08-11, 7:34 PM #13
It definately does depend on the person as too how much weight they gain lose or even none at all, but regardless of whether you put on weight or not there are still healthier choices out there than McDonald's.

Just because you don't have a beer belly doesn't mean you're fit or even that you're feeding yourself properly. As a 17 year old boy, I have a lightning fast metabolism being about 6' 2" and only 165 lbs. Am I extremely fit? No. Do I always eat the righ foods? No.

Most people get overweight in America because of Fast Food, and now more commonly, All-You-Can-Eat buffets. Demon_Nightmare is correct in that you should eat things in moderation, and exercise is almost always a good idea. Eating at somewhere like McDonald's everyday seems kind of pointless to me, when not only is it not going to do much for your system, but it's also a terribly inefficient and expensive form of eating.
2005-08-11, 7:36 PM #14
Because I'm a weightlifter/martial artiest...diet is very important for me. Especially because my dad's a chef. I can tell you this though: dietitions reccomend going out only one time per year.

McDonalds is still unhealthy for me. Hell, even their salads have fat in it (seriously...look at their nutrition facts. It's not the dressing, that's in a seperate category).

McDonalds is good, and because I grew up eating happy meals (especailly during christmas time), will always be cool. But I never eat there anymore. Their food still sucks.

[Futureposted]
2005-08-11, 8:38 PM #15
Wow, that post was full of...absolutely pointless information. Thanks for it, though.
D E A T H
2005-08-11, 9:20 PM #16
I don't eat McDonald's very much at all until they do that damn Monopoly game. :(

Damn them, damn them! It's so addicting
2005-08-11, 9:34 PM #17
I went through McDonalds for lunch and dinner last night.. AM I GONNA GET FAT FINALLY?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-08-11, 9:40 PM #18
Impossible.
2005-08-11, 9:57 PM #19
Guys, even though she lost weight it doesn't mean it was actually healthy...
2005-08-11, 10:17 PM #20
Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
McDonald's is at fault just as much as people are. They spend so freaking much money on advertising. They have stores all over the WORLD. They know how much fat is in their food, and they know how many people they serve each day, and they know what food people buy. If a person eats a burger every day there, and McDonald's goes one day "OMFG WE HAVE SALADS TOO!" You think that 300lb woman purchasing a salad or two is going to help her? No. Second of all, do you think that lady who has been eating a burger a day for a year or two is even going to get the salad? No. People get hooked on the food, then they need more, and it's hard for a fat person to eat less than they are used to.

This HAS to be the stupidest thing I've read throughout the thread. I used to eat at McDonald's every other day, and other fast food places at least once a day. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal to stop. I have had McDonald's once in the past 3 months, and Taco Bell once in the last 3 months, for clarification, and that's all I've had fast food wise.
D E A T H
2005-08-11, 10:29 PM #21
It's not entirely stupid.

Ever hear of transfats?
2005-08-12, 1:06 AM #22
Burger King > McDonalds

(EDIT Hahahaha, I forgot I replied to this thread already, but I clicked on it cause it was highlighted :P)
2005-08-12, 1:10 AM #23
I find that:

Arby's > Wendy's > Jack in the Box > McDonald's > Burger King

Last time I ate at Burger King, I had their chicken nuggets and then suffered nasty diarrhea.
2005-08-12, 1:13 AM #24
Quote:
I went through McDonalds for lunch and dinner last night.. AM I GONNA GET FAT FINALLY?

I had McDonalds for lunch and dinner yesterday too, curses to the convenience factor! Try not to make a habbit out of it though.

Yeah, it's all been said before, but I find it hard to believe that people are so unwilling to take any responsibility for themselves, that it's all McDonald's fault. When you compare it to other fast food alternatives, it isn't all that bad. A Burger King (Hungry Jack's) 'Whopper' has as much fat in it as an entire 'Big Mac' Meal here in Australia. And McDonalds use canola oil, rather than the other, unhealthier stuff that Burger King use.

Salad for dinner tonight...
2005-08-12, 1:31 AM #25
Atkins to the bone!
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-08-12, 2:32 AM #26
Originally posted by Tenshu:
Atkins to the bone!

That's another craze I can't stand. It might work for some people, but for millions of people across America (and other countries perhaps) to just axe Carbs completely, and yet still eat mucho unhealthy food in excess to make up for it, is stupid. If you eat a bit of everything in moderation, chances are on average, you will have a much healthier diet. Have these people ever heard of the Food Pyramid? And do they realize that bread, rice, grains, etc. are THE biggest period. :rolleyes:
2005-08-12, 2:35 AM #27
There's a fast food company in West Coast of the US called IN-N-OUT Burger that owns them all.
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-12, 3:01 AM #28
Originally posted by ProdigyOddigy:
There's a fast food company in West Coast of the US called IN-N-OUT Burger that owns them all.

If you're gonna spend that much on a burger, you might as well go to Carls Jr. or better yet, Arby's. That being said, all my friends (misguided though they may be) love In-N-Out, so I still eat at my local one often.

QM
2005-08-12, 6:35 AM #29
Originally posted by Daft_Vader:
That's another craze I can't stand. It might work for some people, but for millions of people across America (and other countries perhaps) to just axe Carbs completely, and yet still eat mucho unhealthy food in excess to make up for it, is stupid. If you eat a bit of everything in moderation, chances are on average, you will have a much healthier diet. Have these people ever heard of the Food Pyramid? And do they realize that bread, rice, grains, etc. are THE biggest period. :rolleyes:

You suffer from the common misconseption that the Atkins diet is an all protein diet.
Pissed Off?
2005-08-12, 7:23 AM #30
Chick-Fil-A > *
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-08-12, 7:25 AM #31
I'd like to point out that the guy who said "OMFG LEIK MCDONALDS IS HORRRRIBLE" was fit and in shape, and all the people the article describes as losing weight were all 225 pounds, 180 pounds, up there in that range.

And sure, if you just eat a hamburger and fries for thirty days, you'll lose weight - if you're used to eating a ton of other junk food at home as well.

I don't really think these "<insert store name here> diets for x days" are really proof of anything though. Normal people don't eat at McDonalds for thirty days straight.. If you overdo something like that, sure, you're going to get skewed, non-normal results.

I still say McDonalds is not a good place to eat..

I would be curious as to how much this 30 and subsequent 90 day McDonalds-a-thon costed though. The money spent for food during this marathon, compared to the normal cost of food for that time period would be an interesting comparison.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-08-12, 8:08 AM #32
Yep. Eatng out is expensive.
Pissed Off?
2005-08-12, 8:31 AM #33
That is the truth. Compare a meal at McD's for like $5 compared to lots of college students lunch of ramen noodles for $0.15 a thing.

It seems like so many cheap foods though are unhealthy - ramen noodles having so much sodium.
2005-08-12, 8:43 AM #34
Originally posted by Avenger:
You suffer from the common misconseption that the Atkins diet is an all protein diet.

What is it then? Please explain.
2005-08-12, 8:51 AM #35
to just axe Carbs completely, and yet still eat mucho unhealthy food in excess to make up for it, is stupid.

If I'm not mistaken, that's not the point of the Atkins diet. You eliminate carbs temporarily to lose a few pounds, and eat a reduced amount of carbs so you don't gain them back.
I'm just a little boy.
2005-08-12, 10:16 AM #36
Originally posted by SAJN_Master:

People aren't being forced to eat there. They choose to eat there (yeah, I know, novel concept and all).
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2005-08-12, 10:21 AM #37
What is it then? Please explain.

It does suggest that you reduce your carb intake very greatly for a couple of weeks. After that initial "shock" treatment, you can still eat carbs, but at a reduced rate and it recommneds that the carbs come from fresh vegetables rather than breads or pastas. You can still eat these things but they amount is much less. Sugar is cut back to next to nothing as well.
Pissed Off?
2005-08-12, 10:36 AM #38
Originally posted by Avenger:
It does suggest that you reduce your carb intake very greatly for a couple of weeks. After that initial "shock" treatment, you can still eat carbs, but at a reduced rate and it recommneds that the carbs come from fresh vegetables rather than breads or pastas. You can still eat these things but they amount is much less. Sugar is cut back to next to nothing as well.

Thankyou for the explanation. I still think it's an over-rated system though. What irritates me most is that it's a fad - people are just doing it because everyone else is. It's even become a marketing ploy now - go into many restaurants, and they have whole Atkin's menus.

I'm sure the sytem works for some people, but as with this McDonald's diet, people make the mistake of assuming that because it worked for one person or a select group of people, often with atypical results, they will get the same results.
2005-08-12, 10:48 AM #39
For sure. It certainly was a fad that's on it's down swing. It'll work for some people, but not others. As people have already said, a balanced diet, moderation, and exercise are the best wat to go.
Pissed Off?
2005-08-12, 10:48 AM #40
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
That is the truth. Compare a meal at McD's for like $5 compared to lots of college students lunch of ramen noodles for $0.15 a thing.

It seems like so many cheap foods though are unhealthy - ramen noodles having so much sodium.

Yeah this is true...things like hotdogs, kraft dinner, mr noodles is all cheap but so fake and gross. I wish I had the money to buy real food.

↑ Up to the top!