Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ferentus...
Ferentus...
2005-08-12, 2:47 PM #1
A new MMORPG that went open beta today. http://www.ferentus.com/
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-08-12, 2:57 PM #2
What part did you have in making this MMO? I see some imaginary work on the stolen sectors of the HDD that has your style written all over it.

In all seriousness though, since when is Barbarian a freaking RACE?

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-12, 3:01 PM #3
Now Kirby, don't be a RACE-ist!

Ha ha ha!
2005-08-12, 3:02 PM #4
Hahah *wipes eyes*

Really thrawn, I must say, you are almost too funny.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-12, 3:04 PM #5
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
In all seriousness though, since when is Barbarian a freaking RACE?

JediKirby

Ever since the Nordic peoples of Flasakia mated with Roman women.

err...

In all seriousness though, all these new MMO's are missing the two classes I love most. Either Necromancer >:)

or in this case, a Bard.
2005-08-12, 3:26 PM #6
How is that any different from blakcs being a race or japanese being a race?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-12, 3:30 PM #7
Because waiters and cashiers aren't a race.
2005-08-12, 3:33 PM #8
From Wikipedia: Barbarian was originally a Greek term applied to any foreigner, one not sharing a recognized culture or degree of polish with the speaker or writer employing the term.

So Barbarians are neither a specific race, nor an occupation. :P
I'm just a little boy.
2005-08-12, 3:33 PM #9
Exactly. A barbarian is a term for savage powerhouse. It's a race in the sense of what WE call a race, but fantasy races are diferent phenotypes. A barbarian is NOT a different phenotype.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-12, 6:17 PM #10
The Roman (Latin) word for foreigner is "barbarus". I'm pretty sure that's where the English word came from. it just meant someone who was from a different, non-roman culture.

There is also an adjective that was pretty close to barbarus, that meant strange ( as in the unknown kind of strange, not the freakshow kind of strange).

So the crazy axe-wielding Germanic and the civilized Arabian aristocrat would both be barbarians.

...But this is all words anyway. Yeah, I think Barbarians should be a class in a game.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2005-08-12, 6:23 PM #11
Pssht. Berserker are far more superior.
2005-08-12, 6:55 PM #12
Well, indians are a race, and they are called that because if I remember correctly, the spanish believed they arrived to india, and they called them Indios...
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-08-12, 7:07 PM #13
I played this game before. It's called Dark Age of Camelot.
Think while it's still legal.

↑ Up to the top!