Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Piracy is Ruining Everything
Piracy is Ruining Everything
2005-08-14, 9:08 AM #1
I don't know who to blame, the pirates, or the companies. Probably both, but for the life of me, I cannot get my LEGIT copy of 3DSMax to work.

My friend is in college and was going for computer science for video games. He went a totally different direction, and instead became an aqua marine veteranarian or something like that. Anyway, I benifit because he gives me his unopened 3DSMax V 7 [WITH RAGDOLLS AND HAVOK 2 BUILT IN OMG] for free

I plug the baby in a few months ago, play with it without registering it, etc etc. I go on a few trips that last a couple months. My free time expires. That SHOULD be ok, since I have a valid sereal and code, right?

I open the program and get the first dialogue attached. Cool, I click the button, and I get the second dialogue.

A blank screen with 2 bullets. W. T. F.

descreet hasn't answered my e-mail I sent to months ago, and just today I remembered I had it on my computer but didn't remember why I wasn't using it. Then this crap happened again.

I OWN THE GODAMN SOFTWARE. IT'S SITTING IN FRONT OF ME. I CAN SEE IT. IT'S ON MY COMPUTER. WHY, THEN, CAN I NOT USE IT!?

Seriously, I understand that companies don't want to lose money. I understand that people don't want to pay for games.

I get that.

But there's this 1 person who used to be the most important person in the market.

The godamn consumer.

WHY does the consumer, the one person that everything SHOULD work to benifit, loses in this situation? Why does the CONSUMER have to take cautions to counter NON consumers!? Maybe I'm not thinking realistically, but I do know what's real: The box sitting in front of my godamn face. That's as real as it gets.

JediKirby
Attachment: 6756/3dsmax1.JPG (30,543 bytes)
Attachment: 6757/3dsmax2.JPG (19,313 bytes)
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-14, 9:16 AM #2
Delete (including registry) and reinstall?
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-08-14, 9:17 AM #3
Couldn't it be that there's just a bug in the program? Call, don't email, the company. It must not be that big of deal since you really haven't taken any active steps to fix the issue.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-08-14, 9:18 AM #4
Originally posted by Bobbert006:

Yeah, the easiest most obvious routes are usually the best. Although many programs leave some sort of trace to detour people from reusing the free trial period.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-08-14, 9:19 AM #5

What do you mean by "includin registry?" I've uninstalled once already.

Oh, and I could cal discreet, but I've avoided calling companies for years. YEARS. I hate it. But I'm pissed off enough that the computer-illiterate foreign woman on the other line might stop being a retard and do what I ask her.

That's probably harsh, but no one can say that it isn't absolutelly true.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-14, 9:19 AM #6
Uninstall, clean registry, reinstall. Looks like a program bug to me, not a validation/registration issue.

Calm down, too :)

Edit: By 'clean registry' we mean run regedit & delete the program keys for 3dsm. :)
woot!
2005-08-14, 9:21 AM #7
Regedit... that's a dangerous place. I've never really dabbled in it. Is it straitforeward enough to where I won't delete something important?

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-14, 9:32 AM #8
Try reinstalling without messing with the registry first. If you really have to do it, it kinda looks like Windows Explorer, so you should be fine if you are careful.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-08-14, 9:44 AM #9
You could just pirate it. Probably be easier :p

But yeah, call discreet, that'd be your best bet.
D E A T H
2005-08-14, 9:48 AM #10
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]You could just pirate it. Probably be easier :p[/QUOTE]

That's what I mean, it's simply ironic that pirating it would be easier.

Actually, it wouldn't since I can't even GET to the register screen. but I wouldn't NEED to worry about that if the whole pirating thing wasn't so active.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-14, 11:21 AM #11
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
Regedit... that's a dangerous place. I've never really dabbled in it. Is it straitforeward enough to where I won't delete something important?

JediKirby

There's nothing dangerous about it. And you can export a back-up copy of your registry before deleting anything, if you want. Just use the menu option.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-08-14, 12:53 PM #12
Yeah it's actualy a program error, not an Autodesk ploy to stop pirates that ends up screwing you. Just a program error. Try a reinstall.

BTW, Heres what it should look like:
Attachment: 6760/3dsmerror.JPG (92,184 bytes)
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-08-14, 1:36 PM #13
it kinda looks like Windows Explorer, so you should be fine if you are careful.

Oh dear.

2005-08-14, 2:15 PM #14
Try reinstalling without messing with the registry first. If you really have to do it, it kinda looks like Windows Explorer, so you should be fine if you are careful.

/gasp :rolleyes:

↑ Up to the top!