Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Taking Control of Windows XP
Taking Control of Windows XP
2005-08-14, 11:57 AM #1
Okay, most of my experience with XP is on government systems that allow users limited control but now I have a personal laptop with XP Pro. I have three questions:

The first two, how do I get the "ctrl-alt-del" menu that appears on my government system, the one that gives you about six buttons to click that give you options to shut down or go to the task manager, etc, instead of going straight to the bland looking task manager and my other question is how can I stop annoying sys-tray pop-ups such as "wireless connection unavailable" that require you to acknowledge them before fading away?

Lastly, what are some good resources (as in sites) that address this general topic?

Thanks.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-08-14, 12:31 PM #2
http://www.annoyances.org/ is probably where you should check out. I'm an avid Win98SE user though so can't come up with the changes you're asking for for WinXP off the top of my head.

QM
2005-08-14, 1:38 PM #3
1) Only abvailable in XP Pro, not available in XP Home
2) Go to the properties for that network in Network Connections and untick the checkbox that says Notify me when limited connectivity blah blah.
3) One tool that helps me tweak windows is TweakUI XP (google it, it's on MS' site, along with other Powertools for XP that you might find useful).

Another tool I like to use is X-Setup Pro, but make sure you get the older freeware version. The newest version is trialware.

2005-08-14, 2:28 PM #4
Originally posted by The_Mega_ZZTer:
1) Only abvailable in XP Pro, not available in XP Home.

Thanks for the other tips but you might have missed that I do have XP Pro so maybe you can answer the first one, too. ;)
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-08-14, 3:50 PM #5
<3 TweakUI
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-08-14, 8:58 PM #6
Actually I get that CTL-ALT-DEL option when I press it on XP Home.

You have to disable the default XP Login screen in the User Accounts control panel applet (start>run>control panel, then "User Accounts" it's one of the options, I don't remember which, and I'm not logged in as my computer's administrator right now to check it.
2005-08-15, 4:51 PM #7
Someone on Massassi showed me TweakUI and it is the greatest thing on the face of the earth.
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2005-08-15, 4:59 PM #8
on an aside, if you'd like to keep control of your Windows XP system, don't forget to go into Safe-mode <F8> right before the windows load screen comes up, and look at User accounts. There's an Administrator account with no password set, so that anyone who knows about it can create their own admin level account using that Administrator login. That is, if you use a password at all.
Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?
2005-08-15, 8:18 PM #9
Well, I got TweakUI yesterday.. and somehow managed to select that 'Show Administrator on Logon Screen button. A little after i got up this morning my computer decides to randomly reboot for no reason. It gets to the Logon screen.. and I can't log on because Administrator is the ONLY account selectable and I don't know/remember the password. I've googled around by couldn't find anything Free to help me with this. Anything you guys can hellp me with would be nice.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-08-15, 8:26 PM #10
Originally posted by Genki:
Well, I got TweakUI yesterday.. and somehow managed to select that 'Show Administrator on Logon Screen button. A little after i got up this morning my computer decides to randomly reboot for no reason. It gets to the Logon screen.. and I can't log on because Administrator is the ONLY account selectable and I don't know/remember the password. I've googled around by couldn't find anything Free to help me with this. Anything you guys can hellp me with would be nice.

There's a 95% chance the admin password is blank. Just try hitting enter.
2005-08-15, 8:29 PM #11
i did, it got changed at some point in time
Free Jin!
2005-08-16, 7:38 AM #12
Most otherboards have a built-in work-around for lost passwords. If you open up the case there should be 2 or 3 jumpers on the board. One of them bypasses the password system. Simply move one of the jumpers (should just be a 3-pin) and reboot, and try to log in (blank pass). If it doesn't work, turn the computer off, replace the jumper and try another one. Eventually you should be able to log in, and you can reset the password. After you have it set, turn off and replace the jumper and reboot, and the password should be in place.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-08-16, 7:40 AM #13
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
Most otherboards have a built-in work-around for lost passwords. If you open up the case there should be 2 or 3 jumpers on the board. One of them bypasses the password system. Simply move one of the jumpers (should just be a 3-pin) and reboot, and try to log in (blank pass). If it doesn't work, turn the computer off, replace the jumper and try another one. Eventually you should be able to log in, and you can reset the password. After you have it set, turn off and replace the jumper and reboot, and the password should be in place.

Err, what? That's for CMOS passwords. And its not a bypass, it wipes the CMOS so the thing is reset to its defaults (including no password). And this has absolutely nothing to do with CMOS passwords, this is in windows.
2005-08-16, 7:56 AM #14
Well I've used it before and it's worked no problem.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-08-16, 8:18 AM #15
You can also get boot disks that reset passwords.
Stuff
2005-08-16, 8:34 AM #16
Originally posted by kyle90:
You can also get boot disks that reset passwords.

Yes. I have a Linux one that'll allow you to reset and change ANY Windows password. I love it... I'll pull it out when I get home and see if I can't remember where I downloaded it from. It's garuenteed to fix that problem though.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-08-16, 9:28 AM #17
Genki: The Administrator password is blank by default. Someone must have changed it.

It's easy enough to do from the command prompt:
net user Administrator *

Also Genki try pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL at the Welcome screen to enable classic login, you might be able to type in your username and password there.

2005-08-16, 9:47 AM #18
I just blow away computer when this happens.
This is not the sig you are looking for. Move along.
2005-08-16, 10:07 AM #19
I got it fixed this morning thanks to help from Mr. Buck.
The password was freaking SHOE.. blaaah
Free Jin!

↑ Up to the top!