Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Quake III source code to be released
Quake III source code to be released
2005-08-14, 4:13 PM #1
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25383

For the last god damn time, TheInquirer.net is not actually the Inquirer magazine. TheInquirer.net is a tech site with tech news.

This should be cool to play around with.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-08-14, 4:26 PM #2
LucasArts should do the same.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-08-14, 4:29 PM #3
OMQ Old Newz! :o

Heard about it yesterday. Pretty awesome if you ask me. Mcarmack makes a good point about game companies being totalitarian about games that was mostly others work. I hate it when game companies are like, "No you can't make Mods! You'd steel our ideas! The many hours of programming! O noes!" But in reality all they did is make a stupid mod for Quake III. :rolleyes:
2005-08-14, 4:37 PM #4
Yeah, exTREMELY old news.

:p
D E A T H
2005-08-14, 5:06 PM #5
I hadn't heard it yet..that could be fun for some :)
woot!
2005-08-14, 11:39 PM #6
This is great, because in a lot of ways the Q3 engine in conjunction with Q3map2 produces some of the most realistic graphics IMO, save maybe source.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-15, 6:32 AM #7
Originally posted by Freelancer:
This is great, because in a lot of ways the Q3 engine in conjunction with Q3map2 produces some of the most realistic graphics IMO, save maybe source.

I don't think so...and source really doesn't 'create' realistic graphics, it's all because of the photo-ripped textures Valve used. If you've played Bloodlines (a source engine game) you'd realize just how bad source looks with subpar textures.

But anyways, I think this will give the Doom 3 editing community quite the blow, weirdly enough. But of course it's good for all those people who are making free games *cough*TMU*cough*
D E A T H
2005-08-15, 6:40 AM #8
Who cares? It will be blown to pieces, when Sith 2 is released.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-08-15, 8:03 AM #9
Originally posted by Impi:

you're killin me. 100 percent serious... that made me laugh out loud.
2005-08-15, 8:04 AM #10

No...just...no...
D E A T H
2005-08-15, 8:04 AM #11
Yay. Maybe someone implements a better brush system now.

Or, you know, just makes it better. Like has been done with Q1, Q2 and Duke3D/SW BUILD.

In-editor lighting would be a good start.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-08-15, 8:06 AM #12
better brush system? what's there to improve upon? are you talking about vis.. or..?
2005-08-15, 8:08 AM #13
By better brush system I guess I just mean the possibility to add substract brushes like in UE.
2005-08-15, 8:08 AM #14

For someone reason, I had a craving to see that happen.

Now, LEC just has to release the JK source, which is a ton less valuable than Q3 source (considering the numerous games licensed on Q3 engine).
2005-08-15, 8:09 AM #15
i thought the whole point of a brush system was that it wasn't subtractive. (cause that's sector editing, right?) brushes should be solid blocks. like legos you can move around. that's the point.
2005-08-15, 8:12 AM #16
Originally posted by Cazor:
i thought the whole point of a brush system was that it wasn't subtractive. (cause that's sector editing, right?) brushes should be solid blocks. like legos you can move around. that's the point.

Legos are good.
2005-08-15, 8:12 AM #17
But you can make easier holes into them with substracts. Like, carving blocks.

I guess I just like sectors (or substract brushes) and (solid) brushes on the same engine.
2005-08-15, 8:15 AM #18
well, technically i guess you could make one large brush then use the clipping tool. to carve your map out(or just CSG subtract) but the idea of brushes is that you dont have to cut anything out, you make everything and place it where you want. but i dunno, if subtractive is easier for you.. maybe someone might do it.
2005-08-15, 8:16 AM #19
Hm, perhaps.

Anyhow, in-editor lighting (aka JED, UED, BUILD) would still be something I'd definately want to have.
2005-08-15, 8:19 AM #20
yeah ill admit figuring out how much light comes from a source takes a long while to figure out. i still dont get it right all the time the first time i compile. i bet if someone messed with open GL enough they could get a preview program set up.
2005-08-15, 8:21 AM #21
That would be kinda ace, yes.
2005-08-15, 4:40 PM #22
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
Legos are good.

Thank you. That got a good laugh out of me. A whole lot of lolness. :)
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2005-08-15, 5:41 PM #23
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Hm, perhaps.

Anyhow, in-editor lighting (aka JED, UED, BUILD) would still be something I'd definately want to have.

Considering how long the compile times are for compiling bsp, vis, and lighting, in-editor lighting isn't feasible. The reason it's practical for JED because Jedi Knight doesn't need to compile architecture. In UED, because there is no such thing as a "leak" in the unreal engine because the world is filled in rather than empty, compiling geometry is really fast.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-08-15, 8:45 PM #24
There's no reason you can't use simple lightmaps for a quick preview or one of like, dozens of methods to do lighting in real time.

Anyway, GtkRadiant supports realtime lighting now since Doom 3 support, I wouldn't be suprised if it had a setting for use with Q3 to approximate Q3Map2's lighting.

The Q3 source was supposed to be released last year, but id got another contract for the engine so they weren't about to make it free...although they still could have charged full price under the GPL if they wanted to.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-08-16, 12:56 AM #25
Originally posted by Emon:
The Q3 source was supposed to be released last year, but id got another contract for the engine so they weren't about to make it free...although they still could have charged full price under the GPL if they wanted to.

Heh. So Carmack said: It wouldn't be fair to first sell it for full price, and then release it right after the deal. However, it's still a question of making money with it, so I don't know why it matters in the end. Modders can't make profit out of it anyway, can they?
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-08-16, 1:11 AM #26
If it is under the GPL they can.
That's the whole sense of GPL, giving you the freedom to do everything you want with the code. The only thing is that you've got to acknowledge that it's id's engine and that you've got to make the sourcecode of everything available you develope from the code.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-08-16, 6:39 AM #27
Originally posted by SavageX378:
Considering how long the compile times are for compiling bsp, vis, and lighting, in-editor lighting isn't feasible. The reason it's practical for JED because Jedi Knight doesn't need to compile architecture. In UED, because there is no such thing as a "leak" in the unreal engine because the world is filled in rather than empty, compiling geometry is really fast.

The reason I find it practical is because I want to know what I expect to see (and most of the time it looks better ingame) when I run it.
2005-08-16, 6:46 AM #28
If it is under the GPL they can.
That's the whole sense of GPL, giving you the freedom to do everything you want with the code. The only thing is that you've got to acknowledge that it's id's engine and that you've got to make the sourcecode of everything available you develope from the code.

Ok, I see. Then it's quite understandable indeed.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS

↑ Up to the top!