Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Breakfast Club
The Breakfast Club
2005-08-14, 8:07 PM #1
A great movie, a great piece of art done by the director to prove a point he gets across very well. I know most of you have probably seen it (multiple times) but I just got finished watching it unedited...and it's a lot more powerful. Some of the scenes they cut out were very vital, I think, to the overall storyline. If all you've ever seen is the crappy watered-down TV version, this is me giving a hearty reccommendation otherwise.
D E A T H
2005-08-14, 8:12 PM #2
I've actually never seen it, or really know what it's about. Heard of it obviously..

What is it about/what was the point trying to be made?
2005-08-14, 8:22 PM #3
Unfortunatly, I've only seen the TV version, but I've been looking for it around town, but I can't find it anywhere.

Squirrel King - I think the main point of it is, no matter how different everyone is, we're all the same on some level and really can get along if we try to understand everyone else's point of view.
2005-08-14, 8:32 PM #4
Originally posted by Stormtrooper:
I think the main point of it is, no matter how different everyone is, we're all the same on some level and really can get along if we try to understand everyone else's point of view.

Yoshi, go watch this movie 7 more times. :p

:o
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-08-14, 8:32 PM #5
oh god, the breakdown of this movie is so elaborate we could have a 10 page thread and merelly scratch the surface.

Another angle is that this movie is a representation of youth VS "The man" in a more realistic light. We aren't being 'loved' by the man so instead, we need to love eachother. Or rather, united we stand, or something like that.

It's also a story of rebirth. It's probably one of the very few original stories that is NOT a coming of age story. Not exactly, anyways. The characters do make strides in their life, but not strides to greatness, but strides to self awareness and rebirth. The theme is more of a character study of the human condition, and lacks a driving plot to steer anyone's attention from that fact.

it's a brilliant movie, and an even more brilliant character display that each and every writer, screenplay writer, and novelist needs to study to a full extent.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-14, 8:34 PM #6
Quote:
oh god, the breakdown of this movie is so elaborate we could have a 10 page thread and merelly scratch the surface.

And yet the director and screenwriter didn't even intend for it to take up more than one page. :p

Like when people had 20 page topics talking about the meaning of the matrix. Seriously.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-08-14, 8:53 PM #7
I'm afraid I've only seen the watered down T.V. version - I could tell it was a good movie though. Man I miss a lot of those 80's movies! Some were unbelievably corny, but even they were fun watching in some way. Does anyone else know what I mean?
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-08-14, 8:58 PM #8
i have the video of it, its one of my favourite film.

and did anyone else really develop a crush on the strange basket case girl?
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-08-14, 9:19 PM #9
Originally posted by NoESC:
Yoshi, go watch this movie 7 more times. :p

:o

I've seen it about twenty.

I think what people don't understand is I don't say these things in real life. Because it'd be rude and out of place. But on the internet, anything's fair game (so long as you don't care about the consequences, which I don't).

But yes, the movie's great, the characters that are developed are amazingly in-depth, and SAJN the director didn't mean for it to happen, but between the actors' and actresses' performance and their improvisation, it added a lot to the film he probably never saw happening. I think I remember them saying that their scripts were just basic outlines, and they went with it from there.
D E A T H
2005-08-14, 9:21 PM #10
Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
And yet the director and screenwriter didn't even intend for it to take up more than one page. :p

Like when people had 20 page topics talking about the meaning of the matrix. Seriously.

I should hope that a "film buff" like you is being sarcastic on both of those counts, because if you're not, then you're a fool.
>>untie shoes
2005-08-14, 10:20 PM #11
Originally posted by Bill:
I should hope that a "film buff" like you is being sarcastic on both of those counts, because if you're not, then you're a fool.

Hey now, no need to start namecalling. I think what he meant was that people tend to take it to the extreme, looking WAAAY deeper into things than was originally intended, and I'm somewhat inclined to agree with him. Most movies aren't meant to be analyzed and dissected as much as they are.
Moo.
2005-08-14, 11:01 PM #12
I havn't seen it yet :o

Originally posted by Philip J. Fry:
"Alright...the Breakfast Club soundtrack. That'll make everyone leave after the reception!"
2005-08-15, 3:53 AM #13
Breakfast Club soundtrack > You
2005-08-15, 6:38 AM #14
I've only seen it in French, which suprisingly is not my native language, but I got the gist of it and yes it is a rather good movie.
2005-08-15, 6:43 AM #15
Hell yes!
D E A T H
2005-08-15, 7:02 AM #16
(Just realized some people hadn't seen it before. Shame on you. Spoiler tag added.)

I used to have the soundtrack on vinyl but it broke when I moved. This movie is so awesome, I always see it at the midnight movie when it rolls around (theater here shows cult classics Saturday midnights, for Back to the Future some guy brought in his tricked out Delorean [cost him 20k to alter it completely]). Lots of Gen-Xers show up slightly drunk/stoned and know all the lines to everything. :)

But I'm getting sidetracked. This movie was great, it's really about the characters since at the end the plot practically resets itself, putting everyone back into their original positions, if a little wiser for the effort. The thug and princess may see eachother briefly, but it seems like they'll all keep shunning eachother even though they now appreciate eachother as human beings. That's probably the saddest part of the movie for me, where all the characters sort see the grand scheme of the social stratification they themselves maintain, but end up being helpless before it and shun eachother.

I wish John Hughes would direct more movies. Looking at the direction section of his IMDB page, there's not one movie totally devoid of merit and I actually like all but Curly Sue. Then he started milking the Home Alone franchise and Beethoven's Nth. Sadness. (Parts of his page really need updating... I mean, the trivia section says that he frequently writes roles for John Candy. Surely he doesn't anymore... I hope).

I also had a little crush on that Cure proto-goth girl actress for a while. :p
2005-08-15, 8:18 AM #17
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I've seen it about twenty.

I think what people don't understand is I don't say these things in real life. Because it'd be rude and out of place. But on the internet, anything's fair game (so long as you don't care about the consequences, which I don't).[/QUOTE]

I was just messing with ya. :D
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-08-15, 8:49 AM #18
Originally posted by NoESC:
I was just messing with ya. :D

I know ;)

your stuff's on the way, by the way.
D E A T H
2005-08-15, 10:28 AM #19
i prefer the breakfast club where you go down the pub at 11am and stay for 12 hours.

↑ Up to the top!