Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Healthy, cheap foods?
Healthy, cheap foods?
2005-08-14, 8:09 PM #1
Alright, so I'm sick and tired of eating really greasy, nasty, heavy food all the time, and I'm trying to find some foods that are both healthy--and cheap. I've got next to no money to my name, and there's not a lot of money floating around for extras, so I'd like to know how to eat well on a strict budget. I know some of you may be able to help me.

Thanks.
D E A T H
2005-08-14, 8:15 PM #2
Um, apples and bananas and leafy green vegetables? :p
2005-08-14, 8:36 PM #3
Fruit.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-08-14, 8:40 PM #4
Fruit. Yogurt....Fruit.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-08-14, 8:41 PM #5
Thick buckwheat noodles with a soysauce and some other stuff in with it [comes in a bottle], mixed with wasabi and those smaller onion tasting thing, all cooked then chilled. Easy to make, one of the tastiest freaking meals I've ever had. I'm not kidding you, it tastes FANTASTIC. And it's cheap. Cost me 10 bucks for enough for about 30 meals of it.

Ask someone at the asian market about it and they'll know what you mean. Be sure you say thick, chilled, buckwheat, and soysauce-type soup that comes in a bottle. They'll show you to the right stuff.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-14, 11:33 PM #6
Potatoes aren't all that expensive and they go good in omelettes. stir fry, or they're good to bake.

Fish. Fish fish fish. If you like fish, you can't go wrong with fish.

Peas. Peas are so yummy.

Melons. Melons of any kind are great. Water melons, cantaloupe, honey dew, you get the idea.

Fresh cherries (not the sugared up kind) are excellent. EDIT: but cherries are kinda expensive. :(

Almonds, pistachios, and pine nuts (although expensive) are great.

I'm running out of ideas...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-14, 11:56 PM #7
Fruits and vegetables are essential to a human-beings' diet.

But I conisder those side dishes.

I love stir fry though...so not all are side dishes. Stir fry with tofu! (I'm a vegetarian)

Anyways, I would like to ask if you're going to be physically active (weight lifting, gym, running, whatever).
2005-08-15, 1:01 AM #8
A lot of traditional Asian dishes tend to be healthy. The stuff you get at Chinese food shacks that's deep fried and covered with a heavy sauce, obviously doesn't apply. Tofu, tempeh and seitan are non-meat alternatives that are very healthy.

In Western society, it's much more expensive to eat healthy, but it's still possible. Cut down on non-essential fats and refined sugars. If you must use oil, olive oil not only tastes better, but is probably best for you.

And of course, exercise. And cut down on binge drinking. That'll pack on calories.
:master::master::master:
2005-08-15, 8:57 AM #9
Almonds in cereal = win.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-08-15, 9:04 AM #10
Plant your own vegetables.

It's not only healthy because of the food, but also because of the exercise you get while caring for your plants.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-08-15, 9:49 AM #11
Doritos, Oreos, Pop Tarts, Lays, And wash it all down with a Coke.

Health food is not my fortay.
>>untie shoes
2005-08-15, 10:31 AM #12
eat nuts but not too much, a bag of assorted nuts eaten over the course of a week is good though. if you eat them all in a day your bowel will hate you.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-08-15, 8:50 PM #13
Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2005-08-16, 1:21 AM #14
Good idea!
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-08-16, 1:35 AM #15
ramen noodles. They dont really make you fat, but they don't make you popeye either, but yeah. If your gonna be unhealthy, at least make a small target for when the violent revolution comes :D
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-16, 4:13 AM #16
Oatmeal. It might take some getting used to but it's healthy and very cost efficient.
2005-08-16, 8:21 AM #17
http://www.fantasticfoods.com/store.php

Falafel and Nature Burger are great and 1 box is enough to last someone a week. The box of Nature Burger comes with an excellent caserole recipe that I make at least once a month.

Coucous, rice, and beans are all cheap and great to eat as well. The trick is to save money on things like this so that you can spend more on organic fruits and vegetables.

If you have the time, you may also want to think about growing your own vegetables. There's nothing like the feeling of picking a fresh salad right out of your back yard, and it's very easy to grow some things, such as tomatoes, lettuce, and peppers.

↑ Up to the top!