Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So, do you think this is a great deal?
So, do you think this is a great deal?
2005-08-16, 9:53 PM #1
I recently started working at UPS during the evening. Tough work, very physical. I'd like to punch some of the idiots I work with in the face.

However, they have EXCELLANT perks and what not.

One of which is upto a 12% discount on Dell computers. Now I've bought Dell computers before, no REAL complaint other than that their restore software freaking blows.

So I whipped up what I thought was a decent upgrade from the pile of crap I have now. (Well, it's not that it's a pile of crap... it's just I bought it about 9 months before this whole PCI-express thing took off, and it's only 2.8 ghz.)

Dream Machine;
Code:
Dimension 5100 
Date & Time: August 16,2005 11:47 PM CST  

SYSTEM COMPONENTS 
   Dimension 5100  Qty     1   
 Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 551 w/HT Technology (3.40GHz,800FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Unit Price    $1,702.00  
 Dell EPP/FSS customers: Save $150 off the Dimension 5100!
Limited Time Offer!         
     - $150.00  

Catalog Number:   23  
 Module   Description  Show Details 
Dell Dimension 5100 Series Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 551 w/HT Technology (3.40GHz,800FSB) 
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional 
Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (4x256M) 
Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard 
Monitors No Monitor 
Video Cards 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800 
Hard Drives 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) 
Floppy Drive and Media Reader 9 in 1 Media Card Reader 
Mouse Dell® 2-button USB mouse 
Network Interface Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet 
Modem No Modem Requested 
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0 
CD or DVD Drive Single Drive: 16X DVD-ROM Drive 
Sound Card Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD™ Audio 
Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) 
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No Productivity Suite - Corel WordPerfect® word processor only 
Security Software No Security Subscription 
Digitial Music Musicmatch® Jukebox Basic 
Digital Photography Photo Album™ SE Basic 
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 3Yr Ltd Warr,At-Home Service,and Tech Support plus Nights and Weekends 
Internet Access Service 6 Months of EarthLink Internet Access Included 
Financial Software No QuickBooks package selected- Includes limited use trial 

Regular price: $1,702.00
UPS discount numbuh one: - $150.00 (It says limited time offer, but I asked a co-worker and they said this is the lowest they've seen that part of the discount.)
UPS 12% discount on systems $1,600 and up: -$186.24

Sub-total: $1,365.76

Shipping & Handling: $90.00

Shipping & Handling Discount : -$73.00

Tax : $55.48

Total Price: $1,438.24

So, whatcha think?
2005-08-16, 9:54 PM #2
Sounds like a bangin' deal.
>>untie shoes
2005-08-16, 9:56 PM #3
You're my hero Rob. So what am I getting for Christmas? *HINTY HINT HINT HINTY HINT* ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) I love you Rob. Did you know that? Now buy me a computer
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-08-16, 9:59 PM #4
If any of you want to send me a check, wire transfer, money order, or cash in person upfront for the full price I'll be more than happy to use my discount for you.

But yeah, I'm not paying to ship it from my house to your house...

I could however get a discount shipping it VIA UPS, they might think it's pretty damn shady though.. Hmmm...

I have to sit on the deal for now, cause I need the money for my stormie armor which whould be done late September.
2005-08-16, 10:01 PM #5
That's an EXCELLENT deal, even for a prefab.
D E A T H
2005-08-16, 10:13 PM #6
That looks like a freaking deal to me. :eek:
Pissed Off?
2005-08-16, 10:26 PM #7
I'll have to jump on one some time next year.

I just don't have the money right now.
2005-08-17, 4:10 AM #8
One of my coworkers is good friends with the owner of an organization that buys small companies and sells off their property. His latest acquisition was an office full of new Dell Optiplex workstations; 3ghz, 1.5 gigs of ram, 17" flat screens, the works.

His price: $150.

Its good to have friends. :D
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-08-17, 8:50 AM #9
5100? Damn, and here I am with this measly 5000.
nope.
2005-08-17, 9:20 AM #10
Thats a ripoff. You dont even get dual bay CD or DVD. No DVD Burner. Half the stuff you took off. Rip off.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-08-17, 9:28 AM #11
Hardly.

A) Since it's Dell you're stuck with Intel.
B) You can get much, much bigger (50% range) discounts if you look in deal forums and the like.
C) Video card isn't very good at all.
D) You could build a much better system by getting a 7800GT (From Dell w/codes and stuff) and a 3200+ Venice and OC to 2.6 or 2.8 GHz.

Dell has it's place, but a 12% dicount is hardly a reson to get a desktop form them.
2005-08-17, 11:23 AM #12
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Hardly.

A) Since it's Dell you're stuck with Intel.
B) You can get much, much bigger (50% range) discounts if you look in deal forums and the like.
C) Video card isn't very good at all.
D) You could build a much better system by getting a 7800GT (From Dell w/codes and stuff) and a 3200+ Venice and OC to 2.6 or 2.8 GHz.

Dell has it's place, but a 12% dicount is hardly a reson to get a desktop form them.

He's not gonna OC. That's just not Rob. Intel's actually seem to be doing better in gaming, from what I hear. And they DO provide a better computing experience outside of games (unless you get an X2), even AMD fans testify to that. The video card is great. You probably couldn't get a much better deal if you tried.

When you break it down, it's a great system for a good price.
D E A T H
2005-08-17, 12:04 PM #13
Originally posted by Ubuu:
Thats a ripoff. You dont even get dual bay CD or DVD. No DVD Burner. Half the stuff you took off. Rip off.

I already have those. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN.

I mathed this junk out, I have enough to save for stormie armor and make more than the minimum payment on this.

I get paid by BOTH jobs this weekend, so I'm going to hop on this. Also, I'm selling my current tower with all the stock stuff for like 400-500 bones. So subtract that price from how much I have to pay. :)

I need to order checks. :(
2005-08-17, 12:04 PM #14
Intel still stinks in games. You still have to buy a 800$ Intel chip to compete with a 200$ AMD chip in games. For other issues, is about 1/2 and 1/2 Intel and AMD. The best CPU to buy now is one of the X2's. The 3800+ is a good OCer.

He's getting a 6800 plain. That's not a particularly good card. The best thing to do would be to build his own or wait for some better deals with Dell. 12% is nothing. you can easily get 40% off if you wait. dell offers much better deals. Just camp this forum for awhile.

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
2005-08-17, 12:12 PM #15
This is me not listening to your advice because you've proven time and time again that you aren't competant enough to give any.

Let me explain another thing. I haven't built a PC in 6 YEARS. I don't know what the hell is going on. I just want something I can run the crap out of at a decent price, thats all.

The card is WAY better than my Geforce 5200FX, and I know how to overclock the Nvidia cards, so it shouldn't be so damn hard to get a smidget worth of extra performance out of it.

Also, like I've said before, alot of stuff I took off because I laready have it. And since it's PCI-express I can upgrade to a much faster card at a later date. Where as my current computer only has an AGP slot. 3 ghz is more than enough, especially since I get by REALLY great on the 2.8 ghz I have right now.

How many PCI-E slots do computers usually come with? Or all they all PCI-E?

Could I SLI a 6800 vanilla and a 6800 GT or ultra?
2005-08-17, 1:00 PM #16
Oh, also.

Dell normal sales != the ones I see.

I get an entirely different page of sales, stuff you don't get to see. UPS rocks.
2005-08-17, 4:15 PM #17
Intel still stinks in games. You still have to buy a 800$ Intel chip to compete with a 200$ AMD chip in games. For other issues, is about 1/2 and 1/2 Intel and AMD. The best CPU to buy now is one of the X2's. The 3800+ is a good OCer.

He's getting a 6800 plain. That's not a particularly good card. The best thing to do would be to build his own or wait for some better deals with Dell. 12% is nothing. you can easily get 40% off if you wait. dell offers much better deals. Just camp this forum for awhile.

Hahahah, no. Read up. Lately Intel's really been catching up.

Also, X2's cost like 500 dollars for the lowest model...seriously, it's only for enthusiasts. The 6800 plain is a GREAT card, softmod the extra pipelines and you basically have a severely underclocked 6800 Ultra.

Rob--you can't SLI 2 different kinds of cards. 6800's have to go with 6800's, the memory has to be the same, the clocking has to be the same, everything. Just like Dual Channel memory. But getting a 7800GT down the line would be easy, and would probably almost triple your performance.

I still can't believe you just said the 6800 was not a particularly good card. I mean, honestly. It came out only a year ago.
D E A T H
2005-08-17, 5:45 PM #18

You guys are too much....my 3.5yo 1.6a and my Radeon 9800 Pro play anything I have..

Maybe I'm not as 'rich' as some of you - I paid $290 for my last system..which is about half the price of an X2 processor alone..
woot!
2005-08-17, 5:50 PM #19
DUDE YOU'RE GETTING A DELL!

...Sorry, I'm bored atm :p
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-08-17, 8:53 PM #20
[url]www.slickdeals.net[/url] <-- Check out this site and the forums for great deals on Dells and other computer systems, and then apply your UPS discount to THAT, and really make a killing.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-08-18, 1:09 PM #21
Dude, I'll say this again.

Average consumer deals != UPS deals.

I've been through a bajillion configurations and my UPS machine is still more bang for the buck. :P

I'm probably going to order it today, seeing as how I get paid.

FINALLY, I can play some of Rome: Total War without everything choking.
2005-08-18, 4:42 PM #22
Originally posted by Rob:
Dude, I'll say this again.

Average consumer deals != UPS deals.

I've been through a bajillion configurations and my UPS machine is still more bang for the buck. :P

I'm probably going to order it today, seeing as how I get paid.

FINALLY, I can play some of Rome: Total War without everything choking.

No, it'll still choke. Trust me.
D E A T H
2005-08-18, 8:32 PM #23
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]No, it'll still choke. Trust me.[/QUOTE]

No, it'll most likely cough a bunch, compared to what it does on THIS PC.

The grass is always greener. ALWAYS. EVEN IF IT'S PURPLE.
2005-08-18, 9:24 PM #24
:p
D E A T H
2005-08-19, 3:51 PM #25
Ordered today, only got a MUCH better deal.

I got the following free upgrades;

1 gig of ram,
160 gb 7200 rpm hard drive
DVD+/RW combo thingy mahoosit. 16X for DVD, 48X for CD.

I got a Dimension 9100, instant 25% off, plus 12% OFF OF THE ORIGINAL NORMAL PRICE. IE, they both came off of the defualt price and were subtracted accordingly.

And I paid about $100 more.

The other PC was like $1,700 before discounts, this one was $2,342 or something close to that.
2005-08-19, 11:22 PM #26
Originally posted by Rob:
I mathed this junk out, I have enough to save for stormie armor and make more than the minimum payment on this.

Did anyone else find this line really funny?

And now to contributing:

It's probably a good deal.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2005-08-20, 4:03 PM #27
Originally posted by SavageX378:
DUDE YOU'RE GETTING A DELL!

...Sorry, I'm bored atm :p

*Ahem*
2005-08-20, 10:51 PM #28
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Did anyone else find this line really funny?

And now to contributing:

It's probably a good deal.

Yes, fear my priorities.
2005-08-22, 6:23 AM #29
Okay, fine. You probably win.. :p

You mentioned the monthly payment.. Are you paying everything upfront or one of those horrid 'pay $40 a month' things?

Because you end up paying a lot more than the advertised price with the pay monthy things, because of interest...
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-08-22, 11:58 AM #30
Meh, yeah I decided to.

I needed something to finance, because I need credit. My piddly credit card isn't cutting it.

↑ Up to the top!