Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Car Accident... sort of
Car Accident... sort of
2005-08-17, 11:00 AM #1
I'm exhausted - I didn't get enough sleep last night because I spent an hour and a half playing Mercenaries on the XBox... did I say spent? I meant wasted.

Anyway, this weariness translated to a certain unresponsiveness behind the wheel and all day, I've been cruising around with eyes half shut, blasting classic rock in order to try to keep me conscious. If I had it my way, I would stay home from work today and try to rest up, however, I'm in an even more obligatory situation than the regular working man. Not only do the people at work expect me to work (which they actually don't, they don't mind if I take off), my parents are adamant that I go to work all the time, as my having any free time is always very worrisome to them. I digress again.

I was pulling back up through the winding parking garage outside the office after my lunch hour nap today and the spot I had occupied when I left for lunch was taken, so I continued up and was going to go to the empty top level when I saw this other spot that always seems to be empty but I've used before. I took the turn in, it was kind of tight, but then my car remembered that it was a big old SUV and gently brushed the left mirror of the car on my left. This mirror must have taken the nudge the wrong was and promptly cracked and dangled off the side of the car. Much to my dismay, a hairline crack also appeared on the windshield. I frowned.

Turning off the radio and clearing my mind, I pulled back out, and drove on up to the empty top area and parked. I examined my car for damage of which there was a little friction brush mark and some lost paint. I strode back down to the victim and left a note claiming responsibility with my name and number, but since I've never gotten into an accident like this before, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do next.

What information should I provide? What will something relatively minor like this do to my insurance? (I'm sure that it will have major consequences in that department)

And, of course, I have that sinking feeling that by actually doing the right thing and taking responsibility for this accident, I will, of course, get reamed out by my parents and not be allowed to drive. I suppose that's better than a dark secret gnawing away at my heart and knowing that I will have spoiled someone's day even worse than now, because at least now they'll have someone to take their anger out against.

I also think that people would criticize my apparent nonchalance in handling all this. I didn't run in circles and scream eeeeee!, when I took the elevator upstairs, I got a cup of water and bought a stick of gum. I went to the bathroom. I don't think the person will be leaving anytime soon, and if they must, I left my number and will be glad to cover any expenses or that sort of thing.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-17, 11:07 AM #2
It's really not that big of a deal. The repair costs will probably be minimal, so you may be able to just pay it out of pocket instead of getting your insurance involved, having to pay a deductible anyway, and then your insurance premium going up.

You did the right thing though by claiming responsibility.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2005-08-17, 11:10 AM #3
That was my first thought, too, but I see two problems:

1. The stress cracked the windshield a hair, which will drive the price up considerably (but I still have no qualms paying, I'm just saying the other person might get more freaked out)

2. I asked out to my dad what to do, who refuses to take any path but the most legal and ethical, which, while admirable, will definitely end up shafting yours truly because then he'll make sure the insurance will go up and I will be in big trouble.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-17, 11:26 AM #4
I think you did the right thing and there's no reason not to take it in stride. It's not the end of your life and it's not really a big deal. Monies are going to be exchanged and your premium will go up, but it's not like you shot someone or chopped off you leg.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-08-17, 11:49 AM #5
There are worse things that could have happened with you driving as tired as you say you were. I'm not sure if you were supposed to leave insurance info as well or not, but at least they can reach you.
2005-08-17, 12:41 PM #6
The windshield might need to be repaired if the crack is big enough. The elements will cause the crack to grow and (depending on state) the driver might be pulled over for it. Get an estimate first of total damage then see if your insurance will need to cover it. You might be able to pay out-of-pocket. But those side mirrors can be expensive. My grandmother's mirror was $300. :/ Was it an old car?

If you do get insurance involved, your premiums will go up. Sucks, I know. To be honest, I think the most grievous thing you have to fret is the tongue lashing you proport to expect. :) Even the most serious of motor vehicle calamaties does not compare to a parental dressing down especially if they're good at it. Mom is a professional.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-08-17, 2:55 PM #7
Wow, you did a great thing by taking responsibility. I wish more people did that. :)
DO NOT WANT.
2005-08-17, 8:01 PM #8
textbook expample of what you should do when you hit a parked car. Good for you to take responsibility.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2005-08-17, 9:19 PM #9
Originally posted by Zell:
Wow, you did a great thing by taking responsibility. I wish more people did that. :)

What he said... a number of years ago, one guy in a van ran full speed down the street and took off the driver side mirror of my mom's minivan... fortunately another guy who was parking across the street took after the van and got the plate number.
Another time was when 2 of my friends, some of their friends, my brother, and I were playing street hockey. One kid chipped the ball up into the air and it smashed into the mirror on the minivan. My friend's friend (who we'll call Bob) suggested that everyone who was playing paid part of the cost... my mom agreed... my brother and I having no allowance (and thus no income) were excluded from charges, but only my 2 friends payed... the rest, including 'Bob,' didn't fork over a penny.

Yes, we need more people like Grismath :)
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-08-18, 12:48 AM #10
Let Empire Glass replace the windshield and you'll get 24 free dinners to Shari's restaraunt! :em321:
2005-08-18, 12:57 AM #11
Yeah, you did the right thing by leaving your details. As everyone else has said, if you don't need to involve your insurance, your premiums won't go up. When the owner contacts you, explain you take responsibility and would like to settle this without involving the insurance companies if possible. Any reasonable person will accomodate that.

However, I don't get why you're worried people will think badly of your post-incident behaviour. I'm more shocked by your PRE-incident behaviour - you knew you were tired, and had to play loud music just to keep awake, and yet you still drove? That was hugely irresponsible IMO. The way you put it, it sounds like you were tired because you were up late playing computer games. I'm assuming, therefore, that you KNEW you'd have to drive to work the next day. That is just plain stupid.
2005-08-18, 1:11 AM #12
I think your stressing over nothing... trust me there are much worse things out there.

Its great you left your name/number. That was the right thing to do.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-08-18, 5:54 AM #13
Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

I talked it over with my folks and they said they'd take care of making sure the money goes to the right places, I expect to pay around $1500 - $2000 as apparently the door was scratched a little too and the lady wants a rental car. My dad's withdrawing it from a savings account I'm not even allowed to use and is mostly interest gained on money that was 'given' to me when I was younger but not allowed to spend. I find this all very amusing, because they just recently gave me ~$1500 for college textbooks and extra spending money. I won't be allowed to drive for a few days, but I'm none too worried, just a little inconvenienced.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-18, 8:11 AM #14
Wow, that's great. You really seem to have learnt something from the whole experience.

Earlier this week, I was very nearly involved in a road incident that may well have been caused by a driver falling asleep at the wheel. THE DRIVER WAS KILLED.
2005-08-18, 10:01 AM #15
You did the right thing.

However, in the future you should try to park a ways away where there are a few empty spaces and walk in instead of squeezing into a tight little space.

Have you guys ever noticed that when oyu park by yourself there is always one of these damn SUVS parked right next to you when you come out, even though there are a million empty spaces around you? God I hate that.
2005-08-18, 5:57 PM #16
Check your state's laws. In Florida, insurance companies are required to replace a broken or cracked windshield FOR FREE under ANY circumstances. So the most you may have to pay for is a broken mirror.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say

↑ Up to the top!