Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Make-A-Wish
Make-A-Wish
2005-08-19, 1:56 AM #1
Ok, so it's late and i can't sleep and i saw the article below on walmart being stupid so i've decided to stir up more contraversy. *cuz i can*

While working at Wal-Mart, I overheard a conversation between two shelfers in sporting goods in the break room. One of them has a son who has some sort of terminal illness. Aperantly, the hospital got ahold of make a wish foundation and they selected his kid for the program. the guy said that they set everything up so that the kid and his family would go to disney world for a week and they had been planning it for like half a year and the kid was all excited and stuff. the problem is, although the kid is terminal, he is relatively stable. he could die at any given moment, but until that moment happens, he seems and acts ok. (I don't know his exact condition, the guy didn't get into it). basicly, make a wish, while talking to a doctor, found this out, and therefor decided to cancel the trip that had already been promised to the kid cuz the doctor could not produce a life expectancy timeline. The kid could die tomarrow, he could die in 10 years (he could already be dead cuz i actually herd this about a month ago). But the point is, even thought the kid will definitly die from the illness, because they don't know when, they canceled the trip a little under two weeks before it was scheduled to happen. Last time i talked to the guy, he was in the process of filing a lawsuit agains the make a wish foundation.
I'm not wearing any pants...
2005-08-19, 2:15 AM #2
Dude, I *love* Bulletproof Monk. It's the best movie ever...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-19, 4:46 AM #3
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Dude, I *love* Bulletproof Monk. It's the best movie ever...

De-railing threads is a no-no.

Yeah, the make-a-wish foundation has way too many stipulations and rules and beauracracies to actually be the foundation it claims to be. That sucks hardcore.

:(
D E A T H
2005-08-19, 4:56 AM #4
I was in a surgery where it was more than likelly that I'd die. Make a wish foundation calls me up and asks me what I'd like to do. I wanted to go to disney world and they said no, we don't have funding and you're not terminally ill, only a 15% life expectency. That's not "dead enough." Instead I got stuck with a ****ty computer that was even outdated for its time.

Well I survived and after I became old enough to recall what had happened, I called them up and told them that they'd never receive a dollar in support from anyone I know, or anyone I can let know. That computer wasn't at all what I'd asked for, and going to Disney world probably would have helped take the stress that I'd been going through over possibly DYING. I was actually excited for a week when I'd found out I applied for the program. So excited I didn't cry at night about the surgery I was going to have. [My parents have always been honest with me about all of my operations and whatnot]

In the long run, that stress made me a much more mature person in the long run, and also taught me a lot about people in general. [Not because of those people who denied me, but another story that's long and elaborate]

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-19, 5:17 AM #5
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]De-railing threads is a no-no.

Yeah, the make-a-wish foundation has way too many stipulations and rules and beauracracies to actually be the foundation it claims to be. That sucks hardcore.

:([/QUOTE]

You can't tell them what their foundation should be. They're bound to no rules about this except the ones they legally create, and, knowing little or nothing about their contracts, are in *no* position to judge them like that. If they threw money at everyone who said they were sick in some way, they'd already be under. Unfortunately, in order to sustain themselves as an organization, they tend to favor people with more apparent illnesses than those who appear perfectly normal but could die at any moment (which seems to describe any one of us).

You should be glad that organizations like this exist at all, not vindictive that they aren't all you think they should be.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-19, 9:18 AM #6
I havn't done any work with Make-A-Wish for about 6 years now, so I can't say how the organization might have changed... But I seriously take offence to your negativity towards it.

First- you said the doctor was the one who made the call. WTF does that have to do with the foundation? Doctors orders are doctors orders..

And seeing as how I've put many hours into two kids (One died) and was there for the receiving of a wish for the other, I can tell you that almost nothing could make these kids happier than when the first get their wish. It's a touching moment and makes you feel proud that you helped this kid get to this point.
2005-08-19, 12:55 PM #7
Quote:
Unfortunately, in order to sustain themselves as an organization, they tend to favor people with more apparent illnesses than those who appear perfectly normal but could die at any moment

That's true, but you don't promise a trip and then cancel it. That's just cruel.
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2005-08-19, 12:56 PM #8
Granted. I agree.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-19, 12:59 PM #9
Wow, what a huge dissapointment that must've been. Poor kid would've been devastated.
I wonder what effect that little situation would've had on his health...
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-08-19, 1:21 PM #10
Originally posted by Deadman:
Wow, what a huge dissapointment that must've been. Poor kid would've been devastated.
I wonder what effect that little situation would've had on his health...

If he died in Diseny Land, people will assume it's from the rides and stop going there (I believe they had a few deaths already.)
2005-08-19, 1:25 PM #11
I wish they would spend the money on medical research instead of trips to Disneyworld. Then maybe we wouldn't have as many terminally ill children.
2005-08-19, 4:27 PM #12
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
You can't tell them what their foundation should be. They're bound to no rules about this except the ones they legally create, and, knowing little or nothing about their contracts, are in *no* position to judge them like that. If they threw money at everyone who said they were sick in some way, they'd already be under. Unfortunately, in order to sustain themselves as an organization, they tend to favor people with more apparent illnesses than those who appear perfectly normal but could die at any moment (which seems to describe any one of us).

You should be glad that organizations like this exist at all, not vindictive that they aren't all you think they should be.

I merely remarked on what I think they should be. I don't think an organization should have so many checks, double checks, so much bull**** beauracracy to go through, etc. That's just me, though.
D E A T H
2005-08-19, 4:38 PM #13
Honestly, why go somewhere you have to wait around for hours if you're terminal? I'm not trying to be cruel, it just doesn't make much sense. Though I guess disneyland is like the end-all greatest thing ever when you're a kid. n/m answered my own question
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-08-19, 8:36 PM #14
I wonder if they'd support my wish if I were terminally ill..

To hunt and kill another man.
2005-08-20, 12:16 AM #15
Originally posted by Warlord:
I wish they would spend the money on medical research instead of trips to Disneyworld. Then maybe we wouldn't have as many terminally ill children.

Medical research most likely won't help a terminally ill child. And no matter how much research, there will always be terminally ill children. (We don't know what the future holds, but you get my drift.)
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2005-08-20, 5:33 AM #16
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Medical research most likely won't help a terminally ill child. And no matter how much research, there will always be terminally ill children. (We don't know what the future holds, but you get my drift.)

I know. My point is, medical research benefits humanity as a whole more than taking dying kids to play with dolphins. Pour enough money in and you might cure cancer or aids, but regardless of whether that kid goes to Disneyworld or not, he's still gonna die. And honestly, having been to Disneyworld, it's a ****ty place. Basically one big gift shop. Even if I was six I would still hate it.
2005-08-20, 5:39 AM #17
Some people believe, myself included, that you don't really die until your spirit dies. You have to give up to die. You have to lose hope and lose will.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-20, 11:57 AM #18
Your beliefs are kind of silly.

If I cut your head off, you're going to die. No ifs, ands or buts.
2005-08-20, 11:59 AM #19
Well, if your heads gone and your brain isnt functioning, I think youd kinda lose hope:p
2005-08-20, 12:08 PM #20
Originally posted by Warlord:
I know. My point is, medical research benefits humanity as a whole more than taking dying kids to play with dolphins. Pour enough money in and you might cure cancer or aids, but regardless of whether that kid goes to Disneyworld or not, he's still gonna die. And honestly, having been to Disneyworld, it's a ****ty place. Basically one big gift shop. Even if I was six I would still hate it.

So much for people enjoying their lives while they can I suppose? :rolleyes:
2005-08-20, 12:13 PM #21
I read somewhere that the 'head-part' of people is still aware for up to 6 seconds after they've been guillotined.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-20, 2:24 PM #22
Originally posted by Rob:

You don't have to be terminally ill.

Just Rich.
2005-08-20, 2:41 PM #23
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I read somewhere that the 'head-part' of people is still aware for up to 6 seconds after they've been guillotined.

Source? I'm pretty sure that's not true.
2005-08-20, 5:37 PM #24
Quote:
Some people believe, myself included, that you don't really die until your spirit dies. You have to give up to die. You have to lose hope and lose will.

JediKirby

For once, I agree. When you REALLY fight for your life, you're probably going to win. It's like wanting something - if you want it hard enough, the entire universe will conspire into helping you get (achieve) it.
幻術
2005-08-20, 5:40 PM #25
[QUOTE=Raoul Duke]Source? I'm pretty sure that's not true.[/QUOTE]

I heard and read it too. I'm pretty sure it is true. I don't have a source, but since you're too lazy to check I'll get it for you. :p

Okay.

http://europeanhistory.about.com/library/bldyk10.htm
2005-08-20, 10:03 PM #26
Yeah, some scientist killed himself, blinked 15 times after dying, just to see how long guillotined people were aware after death...hardcore.
D E A T H
2005-08-20, 10:11 PM #27
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Yeah, some scientist killed himself, blinked 15 times after dying, just to see how long guillotined people were aware after death...hardcore.[/QUOTE]

Bzzt. That was during the French Revolution, and he was already slated to be executed, so he made plans with his friend to do that. He didn't kill himself just for the sake of seeing how long it would take him to die. :p
2005-08-21, 1:04 AM #28
"This solely technical survival forms only part of the answer; the second question is 'how long does the victim remain aware?' While the brain remains chemically alive, consciousness can cease immediately, especially if the victim is knocked unconscious by the force of the decapitating blow. Conversely, an individual could remain self-aware "

I seriously doubt the person could still be conscious and aware. This is the same thing as chickens running around with their heads cut off. Obviously the person is not conciousl...its simple nerve reactions etc.
2005-08-21, 8:39 AM #29
Originally posted by Rob:

Too bad you would have to be sick enough that you could't even lift a weapon of any sort.
2005-08-21, 8:48 AM #30
[QUOTE=Raoul Duke]Source? I'm pretty sure that's not true.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why it wouldn't be... having your head cut off is not instant death, i.e. once the blade goes all the way through you are dead. You'd be killed by the lack of bloodflow, not the event itself. Wether that would be because oxygen deprivation, lack of waste disposal, ect... I dunno. However it wouldn't be instant, and six seconds isn't all that long. I did hear however that blinking was a reflex, and the person is just in complete shock. Understandably, heh...
2005-08-21, 9:55 AM #31
[QUOTE=Lord Kuat]Too bad you would have to be sick enough that you could't even lift a weapon of any sort.[/QUOTE]

Hey not true. The guy in Saw was terminally ill.
2005-08-21, 10:02 AM #32
[QUOTE=Lord Kuat]I lack of waste disposal[/QUOTE]

Are you saying if someone cuts my head off I'll die from lack of butt?
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-08-21, 10:48 AM #33
[QUOTE=Lord Kuat]I don't see why it wouldn't be... having your head cut off is not instant death, i.e. once the blade goes all the way through you are dead. You'd be killed by the lack of bloodflow, not the event itself. Wether that would be because oxygen deprivation, lack of waste disposal, ect... I dunno. However it wouldn't be instant, and six seconds isn't all that long. I did hear however that blinking was a reflex, and the person is just in complete shock. Understandably, heh...[/QUOTE]

I just find it hard to believe that a person could remain conscious and aware for that time... at most they would be just completly out of it...are you sayin they can actually still think and observe for up to 13 seconds? of course not...at least I don't think so.
2005-08-21, 10:54 AM #34
Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
Bzzt. That was during the French Revolution, and he was already slated to be executed, so he made plans with his friend to do that. He didn't kill himself just for the sake of seeing how long it would take him to die. :p

My bad.

Raoul--that scientist blinked 15 times. I don't think that'd be a nervous reaction. I'm pretty sure he had to be somewhat aware to do that.
D E A T H
2005-08-21, 6:14 PM #35

Yes, indeed. But because yours is on your head anyway, you should be fine! :p Sorry, I just couldn't resist to say that, nothing personal. ;)
2005-08-21, 7:16 PM #36

lol. This thread is win.

↑ Up to the top!