Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Quake 3 Arena Source Code Released
Quake 3 Arena Source Code Released
2005-08-20, 9:58 AM #1
With the release of the source code, (you can get it from here so you don't have to register at FileShack) will we be able to use this unbridled engine to upgrade projects like TMU, JK:Rebirth, or SITH2?

Is anyone planning on using the engine to do anything? Can we essentially recreate a "open-source" JO and/or JA?

Think of the possibilities! And then discuss.
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
2005-08-20, 10:07 AM #2
jo and ja aren't cool enough to be rebirthed
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-08-20, 10:10 AM #3
Most of [if not all of] Quake 3's technology is already being used in new games and is pretty much known and used by anyone who codes. The Sith2 projects [which includes JKR] is its own engine in itself, so it really wouldn't benifit much.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-20, 10:11 AM #4
Originally posted by NoESC:

Quoted For Truth
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-20, 10:35 AM #5
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
Most of [if not all of] Quake 3's technology is already being used in new games and is pretty much known and used by anyone who codes. The Sith2 projects [which includes JKR] is its own engine in itself, so it really wouldn't benifit much.

I must disagree. There's a lot to be learned from things like this, especially such a well-coded and well-used engine. The particles, the lighting, the physics even (though they're definitely nothing amazing), seeing as how it's all OpenGL, which is (if I'm not mistaken) what Sith2's coded in, it could most DEFINITELY help them achieve some of the goals they're looking to achieve.
D E A T H
2005-08-20, 10:36 AM #6
Sith 2 and Quake 3 are far too dissimilar for code migration.
2005-08-20, 10:39 AM #7
I dunno. I can probably work something out of this. If anything, it's a useful learning tool.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-08-20, 11:19 AM #8
I love id.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-08-20, 11:22 AM #9
tmu's probably being transferred to it.. again.. for the last time. just pry some of the pretty things off of JA and throw them in there, and yay.
2005-08-20, 11:42 AM #10
going to have to compile a 64-bit version of it :D
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-08-20, 11:46 AM #11
You'd better know assembly if you take a look at the code.. :p
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-20, 12:44 PM #12
Originally posted by Echoman:
I love id.

Yet you don't care to capitalize their name? :confused: zomg

Sometimes I wish I was a 3d programmer.
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-20, 12:55 PM #13
Is it possible to just "pick" off of the other games' code to integrate JA elements/JO elements? Is the release of this code the big "f-u" to Raven and the like that used the engine for their games?

What possibilities could this have for future Massassi projects?
2005-08-20, 1:00 PM #14
Originally posted by Cazor:
tmu's probably being transferred to it.. again.. for the last time. just pry some of the pretty things off of JA and throw them in there, and yay.

I saw the news of this on Slashdot this morning and I was trying to send you an IRC memo, but your nick wasn't registered. :mad:

2005-08-20, 1:08 PM #15
Originally posted by ProdigyOddigy:
Yet you don't care to capitalize their name? :confused: zomg

Sometimes I wish I was a 3d programmer.

id is correct. They stearted out as ID (As in identity), changed it to iD and then to id to represent the id in Freud's personality model.
2005-08-20, 1:28 PM #16
I don't even know what file to begin with.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-08-20, 1:41 PM #17
thats a good thing
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-08-20, 1:42 PM #18
Originally posted by NoESC:

Quoted for Truth (Why does the forum censor Q F T)

As for the Q3 source being all C, let's give a big ole' WTF!
2005-08-20, 1:54 PM #19
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
Quoted for Truth (Why does the forum censor Q F T)

I'm guessing it's an attempt to stop people doing those damn Quoted for Truth's all the time.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-08-20, 2:23 PM #20
Originally posted by Deadman:
I'm guessing it's an attempt to stop people doing those damn Quoted for Truth's all the time.

QFA (quoted for accuracy)
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-08-20, 2:26 PM #21
I've never really liked the iD engine with Quake 3 though - to me it just has a weird feel to the games

Part of the reason I didn't like JK2 as much
2005-08-20, 2:51 PM #22
ARGH IT'S ALL IN C!

*bashes head repeatedly*

And I'm future posted.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-08-20, 4:23 PM #23
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
ARGH IT'S ALL IN C!

*bashes head repeatedly*

And I'm future posted.

Sweet! I love C! Maybe I'll actually play with this and see if I can make something out of it.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2005-08-20, 4:39 PM #24
ARGH IT'S ALL IN C!

*bashes head repeatedly*

/me helps
2005-08-20, 6:06 PM #25
Taking parts of Q3 code and reusing them in something else is not likely to be useful.

However, looking at it, learning things, getting ideas and using the knowledge in your own projects might.

It also will be useful for spin-off projects.

That's about it.

Quote:
ARGH IT'S ALL IN C!

Um... What did you expect it to be in?
2005-08-20, 6:09 PM #26
Spanish? :o
2005-08-20, 6:34 PM #27
Originally posted by Bender:
Um... What did you expect it to be in?

C++.
2005-08-20, 6:46 PM #28
C++.
Doom 3's the first engine he's written in C++.
2005-08-20, 8:04 PM #29
Quote:
C++.

Ouch! That part did slip mind mind. That's pretty amazing, indeed.
2005-08-21, 1:05 AM #30
So, are the JK: Rebirth guys and TMU squad now onboard for a MassassiEngine from the Q3A source? Can't we now release our own customized, community driven platform for 3d games?

Just asking....
2005-08-21, 3:44 AM #31
Yay! I know some C!

also, QFBTWIWGTS > QFA/T
2005-08-21, 5:15 AM #32
Originally posted by MaxisReed:
So, are the JK: Rebirth guys and TMU squad now onboard for a MassassiEngine from the Q3A source? Can't we now release our own customized, community driven platform for 3d games?

Just asking....

Why would the project move to Q3 engine?

There could be a seperate JK project for the Q3 engine, though.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-08-22, 1:19 AM #33
Originally posted by Echoman:
Why would the project move to Q3 engine?

There could be a seperate JK project for the Q3 engine, though.

Kyle Katarn returns to battle the Empire and utilize his lightsaber and the Force once again in an all new, epic Star Wars adventure! Powered by Quake 3 Arena technology developed by ID/Id/iD/!d Software because everything is bigger in Texas, Raven presents Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast! Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is there too! In stores now! :D
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman

↑ Up to the top!