Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Solve This
Solve This
2005-08-21, 12:06 AM #1
Yet again, i am bored and can't sleep... so now i'm going to mess with you. This is the first thing i do to people who ask me to show them somthing about programming.

There are two errrors in this sentence.

ready? GO!
I'm not wearing any pants...
2005-08-21, 12:18 AM #2
I only see one too many R's.
2005-08-21, 12:18 AM #3
the first error is that there is an extra R in the word error, and the second error is the word error itself
Moo.
2005-08-21, 12:19 AM #4
damn :(
2005-08-21, 12:22 AM #5
Originally posted by Kanchi:
Yet again, I am bored and can't sleep , so now I'm going to mess with you. This is the first thing I do to people who ask me to show them something about programming.

I found some errors.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-21, 12:24 AM #6
There's only one error, the word error itself isn't an error because it was misspelled as "errror". There are only two errors once the sentence is corrected.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-08-21, 12:30 AM #7
um.... no. Emon might have it, but not wording it correctly enough for me to give credit. and btw: I know i'm a sucky speller, the other parts do not count, just the sentence given. :p
2005-08-21, 12:34 AM #8
There's only one error in the sentence, the word 'error' isn't spelled correctly... the second error is that the sentence claims there are 2 errors in the sentence. It's an infinite recursion thing.
2005-08-21, 12:57 AM #9
Originally posted by Jon`C:
There's only one error in the sentence, the word 'error' isn't spelled correctly... the second error is that the sentence claims there are 2 errors in the sentence. It's an infinite recursion thing.

smarty pants.
2005-08-21, 12:58 AM #10
Yes, if "errors" includes logical errors as well as grammatical errors. Since there is no differentiation, that can be assumed.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-08-21, 3:13 AM #11
Or, it could be interpreted that the word "error" is spelled wrong, that being error #1. The other error could be the physical word "error" in the sentence. It all depends on the interpretation.
2005-08-21, 4:00 AM #12
Originally posted by at0mic:
Or, it could be interpreted that the word "error" is spelled wrong, that being error #1. The other error could be the physical word "error" in the sentence. It all depends on the interpretation.

I have a feeling that this is the answer he was looking for, but Jon's would be so much cleverer.

(Edit) Actually, now that I think about it, Jon's answer isn't much less obvious as yours. But I still like it better.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2005-08-21, 4:28 AM #13
But if the logical error constitutes an error, then the statement does indeed have two errors, in which case there is no logical error, so the statement has only one error, in which case there is a logical error... ad infinitum.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-08-21, 6:51 AM #14
the mispelling of errror, and the fact that there is only one error.

would be the obvious answer
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-08-21, 7:01 AM #15
This thread is an error.
2005-08-21, 7:18 AM #16
Originally posted by Detty:

You're saying he mispelled "errror", which he didn't.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2005-08-21, 8:47 AM #17
No, he did. So did Detty. :p
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-08-21, 9:10 AM #18
Originally posted by Detty:

Yes but you've now pointed out two errors.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2005-08-21, 10:45 AM #19
Originally posted by Jon`C:

No, som[e]thing.
D E A T H
2005-08-21, 10:50 AM #20
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]No, som[e]thing.[/QUOTE]
No, not same sentence.
2005-08-21, 10:57 AM #21
ok, guess i gotta give credit to Jon`C for this one.

The first error is obviously the miss spelling. the second error is that the sentence doesn't make and sense. It's not correct. There is only one error in the sentence and therefor the sentence is wrong.

So there you have it, two errors. I hope no one's head just exploded.
2005-08-21, 10:59 AM #22
I think it's been solved, people. How many different answers could there possibly be?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2005-08-21, 1:53 PM #23
It's safe to say there are three errors.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-08-21, 1:59 PM #24
If the sentance said it had 3 errors, it'd be incorrect. The statement is false no matter how you organize it, therefore, there is only 1 error: The sentance itself.

It's a programming thing.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-21, 3:35 PM #25
No, it's not.
D E A T H
2005-08-21, 4:33 PM #26
we have some skilled detectives here
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-22, 12:40 AM #27
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
If the sentance said it had 3 errors, it'd be incorrect. The statement is false no matter how you organize it, therefore, there is only 1 error: The sentance itself.

It's a programming thing.

JediKirby

Not quite. It's neither true nor false. It's exactly the same as the sentence "This sentence is false."

That is not false, as to be false, the sentence would have to be true, which we've just assumed it isn't.
Neither is it true, as to be true it would have to be false.

It has a truth-falsity value of 0. Another way of saying it is that it is meaningless. Something that is merely false is not meaningless. It has a very specific meaning that just happens to not be coreect.
2005-08-22, 3:41 AM #28
Originally posted by Giraffe:
It has a truth-falsity value of 0.

....and i've gone cross-eyed.
2005-08-22, 8:52 AM #29
Originally posted by Giraffe:
Not quite. It's neither true nor false. It's exactly the same as the sentence "This sentence is false."

That is not false, as to be false, the sentence would have to be true, which we've just assumed it isn't.
Neither is it true, as to be true it would have to be false.

It has a truth-falsity value of 0. Another way of saying it is that it is meaningless. Something that is merely false is not meaningless. It has a very specific meaning that just happens to not be coreect.

I nominate this as best reply to this thread.

↑ Up to the top!