Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Camping
Camping
2005-08-22, 10:18 AM #1
As many #massassians will know, I am going to [url=www.leedsfestival.com]Leeds Festival[/url] on Thursday, I am looking forward to it greatly and I am prepared in every way that I can think, except one, which is where this thread comes in, as I need to ask advice from people who camp out sometimes.

I do not care if it rains over the weekend, however, the day I am due to go, the forecast says showers, I was wondering if anyone knew how to pitch a tent in the rain without it flooding, or any advice on things I could do to minimise this problem.

Cheers.

[edit: it is a 3 man dome tent that requires a flysheet to keep the rain out, my problem lies in the fact you need to put up the inside part and clip the poles to the outside of it before you throw the sheet over the top, thus exposing the not-waterproof part of the tent to rain.]
2005-08-22, 10:30 AM #2
we put a plastic sheet down before pitching the tent, seems to work
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-08-22, 10:41 AM #3
Well, I would find some place with heavy cover and has a direct line of sight to a main thoroughfare. If you need to, move some barrels. Make sure you have a sniper rifle or a heavy machine gun that can deal out a lot of damage very quickly. Then set up some remote charges or mines. The you have to wait. Patientence is the campers bread and butter. Note that in order to effectivly camp you need to know the map very well.
2005-08-22, 5:29 PM #4
Knowing how to set up the tent so you can do it quickly helps a lot. Once the tent it pitched, get the rain fly on quickly. Also, like Genki said, make sure you have a plastic tarp of some sort to go under the tent. A little bit bigger than the floor of the tent is best so you can roll the edges under to prevent water from running onto the tarp.
Pissed Off?
2005-08-22, 8:07 PM #5
I tend to have a ground cloth on the inside and the outside of the tent when I camp. Even if the bottom of my tent gets soaked for some reason, I stay reasonably dry.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2005-08-23, 1:35 AM #6
the bottom of my tent is made from some tarp esque type stuff (read: slippery in socks).
2005-08-23, 1:40 AM #7
Then just make sure you know how to se tthe bad boy up very quickly.
Pissed Off?
2005-08-23, 7:04 AM #8
Camping is In-Tents!
2005-08-23, 9:38 AM #9
Yep, just make sure you know how to pitch the tent and do it fast. When (if) there's a break in the rain, I suggest you take the fly sheet off for a while to let some of the moisture escape from the inner tent if it's got really wet.
2005-08-23, 10:22 AM #10
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]Camping is In-Tents![/QUOTE]

Die
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-08-23, 10:24 AM #11
just make sure you find a good camping spot and don't let the end of your gun stick out
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-08-23, 11:34 AM #12
If you do put a tarp or ground cloth underneath your tent, be sure to make sure none of it is sticking out around the edges of the tent. If you let the ground cloth stick out, then it will collect all of the rain water that runs down the sides of your tent, and create a nice big pool of water underneath.
2005-08-23, 11:43 AM #13
one more thing.

my maths teacher once said you're supposed to lie a certain direction when camped on a hill.

Is it with your feet pointing down or your head pointing down?

i cant remember which way is supposed to cause less grief when blood and gravity collide.
2005-08-23, 11:50 AM #14
You're all forgetting one thing: Set up the tent on high ground. Add the fly, yadda yadda, whatever. You'll be the dryest on high ground.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2005-08-23, 11:56 AM #15
well it depends where space is.

we usually camp on a hill but its in a field with a few thousand other tents, so choice isnt unlimited.
2005-08-23, 1:04 PM #16
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]one more thing.

my maths teacher once said you're supposed to lie a certain direction when camped on a hill.

Is it with your feet pointing down or your head pointing down?

i cant remember which way is supposed to cause less grief when blood and gravity collide.[/QUOTE]

head downhill... definately head downhill... the hop straight up really fast get out of the tent and start spinning around
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-08-23, 1:05 PM #17
i'll have plenty of other methods for screwing up my brain.
2005-08-23, 1:18 PM #18
Well, if you don't want all the blood rushing to your head while you sleep, you want your feet pointing down.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-08-23, 1:45 PM #19
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Well, I would find some place with heavy cover and has a direct line of sight to a main thoroughfare. If you need to, move some barrels. Make sure you have a sniper rifle or a heavy machine gun that can deal out a lot of damage very quickly. Then set up some remote charges or mines. The you have to wait. Patientence is the campers bread and butter. Note that in order to effectivly camp you need to know the map very well.

Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
just make sure you find a good camping spot and don't let the end of your gun stick out

Ouch Jim, beat to a joke by Obi.
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2005-08-23, 7:15 PM #20
i have loads of experience. i am an eagle scout, have been on three 50 milers and a 70 miler in alaska.

There have been nemerous t-storms and hail on these trips.

The best way to avoid things getting wet are to most defenently get a tarp to put under, a rain fly and build a sizeable trench around your tent.

Should shouldn't have any problems with that. :)
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2005-08-24, 3:14 AM #21
well i'll try it... although i doubt there will be space for a trench, there will be other tents inches away from mine.

The forecast looks better now, so hopefully, even if it does rain, I can put the tent up in a break.

On an unrelated note, I am leaving tomorrow, so I probablys won't post anymore after today till tuesday.

LEEEEEEEDS!!!

cant wait

:p

↑ Up to the top!