Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What can you tell me about this card?
What can you tell me about this card?
2005-09-21, 9:06 PM #1
What can you tell me about this card?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1496792&CatId=0

Particularly as it compares to:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150107

Thanks.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2005-09-21, 9:14 PM #2
Well, besides the fact that they are CRAP cards, the newegg one doesn't even have a fan on the heatsink.

I would definately at least save up for the 6600 series. Buying a cheap crap card like that will only net you decent performance for this generation of games. In 6 months, you'll be out looking for another.
2005-09-22, 10:28 AM #3
Well given how poorly I seem to be at selecting potential video cards, could I impose on you to help out a bit? I have very little knowledge on them at the best of times, particularly newer models.

Soon I hope top have some sort of 2700 system in which to install said card, as an improvement over the AMD 1Ghz one I currently possess.

Really the only two considerations aside from budget, are nVidia [linux] and WoW.
2005-09-22, 10:29 AM #4
Somehow this made its way onto its own thread. Curious.
2005-09-22, 10:45 AM #5
Aye. Avoid any GeForce numbering below 6600 if you want it to last you.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-09-22, 11:37 AM #6
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Well given how poorly I seem to be at selecting potential video cards, could I impose on you to help out a bit? I have very little knowledge on them at the best of times, particularly newer models.

Soon I hope top have some sort of 2700 system in which to install said card, as an improvement over the AMD 1Ghz one I currently possess.

Really the only two considerations aside from budget, are nVidia [linux] and WoW.

As I said, you want to go with a Geforce 6600 series, or if you can manage, the 6800 (not GT or Ultra, those are much more expensive).

I myself use BFG Geforce cards, and I think they're excellent. But just tell us a brand, and someone here will let you know if it is good or not (there's not many BAD brands).
2005-09-22, 2:32 PM #7
I'm looking into getting a 6600 Matty... But, depending on the prices, a 6800 would be great too... I'll probably split the cost with my brother which increases my price range...

The problem is I suck at picking one... on Newegg there's about a billion different types of 6600s and 6800s, which is... y'know, the one I want?!?
2005-09-22, 2:54 PM #8
That reminds me, this setup that I am getting comes with [from a friend who isn't using it anymore] half a gig of I think he said 3600 RAM. Or perhaps it was 3200 as 3600 doesn't seem to exist. In any case, my current system uses a gig and a half of pc133 RAM.

While I know that I won't be able to combine them, could someone comment on how those might compare in functionality, that is half a gig of a rather newer grade vs a gig and a half of a rather older grade. Moreover, depending on the number of slots it has available I may want to purchase some more ram for it, being a memory junkie, however I know even less about modern RAM than I do about modern Video Cards.

Any insight would be appreciated.
2005-09-22, 3:42 PM #9
If you know an app needs a lot of RAM, you want to fufill its needs. Having fast ram is an excellent way to boost performance, but if you don't have enough then it's back to virtual memory which is slow as crap.
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-09-22, 8:42 PM #10
6800>6600GT>9800pro>6600.

BFG is a good brand, EVGA is good also, but there are those who would say otherwise.

If your system uses PC133 RAM it won't be able to use PC3200 or any other DDR RAM.
2005-09-22, 11:04 PM #11
If your going by price/performance, then everythings fine, but for performance only a 9800 Pro is not better then a 6600.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-09-23, 7:41 PM #12
A certain someone forced me to make sure you had a new system before you got this new video card.

Basically, on a 1ghz machine, a new video card isn't going to make a damn bit of difference. So you definately should just wait till you get a new CPU/system.
2005-09-24, 4:00 PM #13
The last couple weeks my video card has started dying unexpectedly during mundane things, web browsing, working in a file manager, and the like.

It'll freak out and then the sving thing will kick in and reset rendering to keep from it hardlocking. Unfortunately it also kills rendering entirely, even 2d accelleration is out, scrolling text and such is laggy.

Any ideas?
2005-09-24, 4:12 PM #14
Originally posted by Dormouse:
The last couple weeks my video card has started dying unexpectedly during mundane things, web browsing, working in a file manager, and the like.

It'll freak out and then the sving thing will kick in and reset rendering to keep from it hardlocking. Unfortunately it also kills rendering entirely, even 2d accelleration is out, scrolling text and such is laggy.

Any ideas?

Open the case, look at the video card. MAKE SURE the fan on the card is spinning. Sounds like the fan died for some reason.
2005-09-24, 4:34 PM #15
It has a heat-sink only >.>

So far the only solutions seems to be to suck it up and reboot.
2005-09-24, 6:34 PM #16
Is your computer well ventilated?
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-09-24, 7:36 PM #17
Very, it has a rather large fon on the back, then the two fans on cpu and mainboard. also the side is off.

It only started doing this recently, and nothing should have changed that I can think of.
2005-09-24, 8:04 PM #18
In the next couple days I hope to find out more about this board/cpu upgrade I've been promised. However, if it turns out to be feasible, I am rather leaning towards this card at the moment:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1212072&CatId=0

Edit: Which it seems also will involve having to get a new psu, as my current one is rated only to 300W.
Thinking something like this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1272460&CatId=0
2005-09-25, 2:07 PM #19
Originally posted by Sol:
If your going by price/performance, then everythings fine, but for performance only a 9800 Pro is not better then a 6600.

Wahaha! pwnt!

:em321:
2005-10-01, 10:18 PM #20
As of today, I am now running a K7 Triton 2700+ Athlon board/cpu.

It came with 512 M of DDR, as mentioned above, PNY 3200 it looks like. However I need at least another stick of same before I'll A: feel non-claustrophobic, and B: Be able to run WoW without it trying to write to more memory than it has.

As such I am seeking a good source for said, ideally cheaply as I don't have a large budget right now. So, if anyone has some they'd be willing to sell, or a place to order some, I would rather appreciate it.

↑ Up to the top!