Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Buying a domain name?
Buying a domain name?
2005-09-25, 10:22 AM #1
Anyone know any good sites? Preferably that work in Canadian money?
2005-09-25, 10:24 AM #2
[url]www.godaddy.com[/url]

I'm Canadian, and I bought from there. AWESOME customer service, and it was suggested by a lot of people here.
2005-09-25, 10:26 AM #3
My domain name is through DomainSite.com. The first year was free... :D

YMMV
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-09-25, 10:28 AM #4
Originally posted by Shintock:
[url]www.godaddy.com[/url]

Agreed. For me it works out a lot cheaper buying in US dollars because of the current exchange rate from £ sterling to $US.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-09-25, 10:49 AM #5
I also use godaddy, and recommend it for all people who subscribe for my hosting.
2005-09-25, 10:54 AM #6
Originally posted by gbk:
My domain name is through DomainSite.com. The first year was free... :D

Fuitadnet only started billing me for hosting after I had my domain name changed... a year later. :o
2005-09-25, 12:16 PM #7
Wow! for 10 dollars a year how can I afford NOT to have one.
2005-09-25, 8:14 PM #8
,qwuywqiudyqgidfqwedtfwqidguywqfdjkasgdjwkfqedjsalkdgywqedksjadyqwds/lollmaoaifyoulaughyousuck
2005-09-25, 8:15 PM #9
HOW THE **** DID YOU FIGURE IT OUT! anyways please [please!?] don't ban me!
2005-09-25, 8:17 PM #10
^ wtf?

[edit: oh. It's imsoshort. Multiple accounts are bad]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-09-25, 8:20 PM #11
[url]www.1and1.com[/url]

If you don't use it, your dumb.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-09-25, 9:22 PM #12
I have always had really good luck with GKG.net. Whatever you do, NEVER CHOOSE NETWORKSOLUTIONS.
2005-09-26, 1:40 AM #13
Cm referred me to GoDaddy, and they've worked out really well. They're really nice too. They took the time to give me a follow-up call and e-mail welcoming me to their service. I recommend them.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-09-27, 12:23 PM #14
I tried GKG.NET on Brian's recommendation, they're ok, but they charge for services that godaddy.com gives you for free. I've switched over to godaddy.

Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
HOW THE **** DID YOU FIGURE IT OUT! anyways please [please!?] don't ban me!

Because your IP is logged when you register and/or post? With an IP it's easy to find your ISP and the city and state that provides your service. If you have a static IP or an always-on connection (non dialup) it's even easier to link you to your specific computer.

And I am assuming you were banned in the past. Ban evasion is a bannable offense. It would even be a fitting punishment to IP ban you from Massassi (you would get a 403 whenever you tried to browse to Massassi or a website hosted by Massassi).

2005-09-28, 2:08 AM #15
These days, domains are the cheap property.
It's only that a decent server with a decent bandwidth, that is hard to keep up...
2005-09-28, 5:38 AM #16
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]
Because your IP is logged when you register and/or post? With an IP it's easy to find your ISP and the city and state that provides your service. If you have a static IP or an always-on connection (non dialup) it's even easier to link you to your specific computer.

And I am assuming you were banned in the past. Ban evasion is a bannable offense. It would even be a fitting punishment to IP ban you from Massassi (you would get a 403 whenever you tried to browse to Massassi or a website hosted by Massassi).[/QUOTE]

Its also in his title
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-09-28, 5:52 AM #17
Originally posted by Hideki:
These days, domains are the cheap property.
It's only that a decent server with a decent bandwidth, that is hard to keep up...

No its not! :D :D :D

*cough*
2005-09-28, 5:23 PM #18
Well, I suppose you got the $$$ to shell out for other to maintain your servers.

I've tried a small array of servers for over a year for my family, god for sake just to keep it running as well as adding new features etc, is the tough to go by.

And now I have let them take care of their own selves with Mac OS X server on Mac Mini, so I don't get called like anytime they have problems...

So, that's where meekstreet.com domain went, and millennium is at mkst.jp.

I think it's less of a problem if the server is only yours, and you are the only one having problem if it gets any problems, but for running for other people, it ain't like $10 a year solution.

Besides, I think in the USA, there isn't anything cheap to get 100Mbit/s up/down bandwidth, if you want a serious content providing server up. I'm lucky that Japan gets it for like $60 a month for that.

↑ Up to the top!