Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What foreign languages do you speak?
What foreign languages do you speak?
2005-09-26, 7:51 PM #41
Hebrew and just enough French to get by in conversations.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2005-09-26, 8:04 PM #42
I wish i spoke german, i just speak spanish. :(
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2005-09-26, 8:29 PM #43
French to an extent. I want to learn Gaelic.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2005-09-26, 8:34 PM #44
[QUOTE=Bounty Hunter 4 hire]I want to learn Gaelic.[/QUOTE]

Seconded.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-09-26, 8:37 PM #45
heads-up to the thread starter:

your "wa" is wrong, the "wa" subject particle is the hiragana "ha," not the standard "wa" ([http://www.genki-online.com/images/moji/hira20/244f.gif] is right, [http://www.genki-online.com/images/moji/hira20/246f.gif] is wrong)

ore nihongo wo naratte sannen ni naru (=I've been learning japanese for 3 years)

Anyways, my "foreign" languages are English and Japanese, being that Mandarin chinese was my first language .. but relative to english it'd be mandarin (fluent, but I can't write much) and japanese
一个大西瓜
2005-09-26, 9:42 PM #46
I've been studying Japanese for two years now. My uncle spent a lot of time living in Japan, and happened to marry someone from Taiwan that speaks very good Japanese.

So yes. Yay for Japanese.
2005-09-27, 1:03 AM #47
I can't click on English, because it isn't on the list.
I can't click on German, becasue it isn't a foreign language to me.
I can't click on French, because my French sucks.
I can't click anything else, because I never learned these languages.

I feel left out of the poll. :gbk:
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-09-27, 1:16 AM #48
Wee I'm still only chinese
一个大西瓜
2005-09-27, 2:40 AM #49
It all depends on how you define the word "speak".
I can pronounce a lot of words from a number of languages, if I've heard the word first. I may not be able to use it in a sentence, or have any clue what it means :rolleyes: :p

Back in school I did learn some French, but I don't recall all that much of it.
Ummm.... Je suis Tim? :)
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2005-09-27, 3:59 AM #50
I speak Danish, English and German.
2005-09-27, 11:39 AM #51
I voted for Russian, but I also speak Hungarian. I'm officially a Russian citizen though, so I'm not sure if that counts.
幻術
2005-09-27, 12:06 PM #52
Originally posted by Pommy:
heads-up to the thread starter:
your "wa" is wrong, the "wa" subject particle is the hiragana "ha," not the standard "wa" ([http://www.genki-online.com/images/moji/hira20/244f.gif] is right, [http://www.genki-online.com/images/moji/hira20/246f.gif] is wrong)

Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it.
Made you look
2005-09-27, 12:40 PM #53
I'm currently taking second-year Spanish at high school, and I hope to take third year. I also want to take Japanese and Mandarin courses, although that's not a very available option for me, at the moment.

Oh, I also know a bit of french, from grade 9 and elementary school.

Tu madre no es guapa! Estoy muy, muy contentissimo porque Serenity (llegar) en viernes.

I don't remember the "El" conjugation for llegar. Meh, I'll remember by Spanish class tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also have some old vinyl records that say they can teach me fluent Portugese in 6 weeks. I haven't tried them.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2005-09-27, 12:45 PM #54
Originally posted by Matterialize:
Tu madre no es guapa! Estoy muy, muy contentissimo porque Serenity (llegar) en viernes.

I don't remember the "El" conjugation for llegar. Meh, I'll remember by Spanish class tomorrow morning.

Llega?

And stop talking **** about my mum dude :mad: ;)
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-09-27, 1:17 PM #55
Korean, baby! Who's the other person that speaks Korean?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.

Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.
2005-09-27, 2:19 PM #56
I can fluently speak only English right now, but I'm learning Latin and ancient Greek. Hurray for dead languages!
2005-09-27, 2:59 PM #57
I only know how to speak, read, and write english but I did take a semster of Spanish in high school (I don't remember much from it though) and I picked up a few words of German and Japanese from video games and anime but not much. I would like to learn either German or Japanese one day eventually. Japanese being the one I would like to learn the most because of anime but I heard Japanese is one really hard language to learn. My mother is Chinese and her parents were born and raised in China but unfortunately they didn't teach there kids Chinese here in the states so my mother doesn't speak any chinese :( That's a shame because it could had been handy when I was still playing WoW...
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-09-27, 3:29 PM #58
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
:o

M. Shintock a dit un mauvais mot. Nous devons le punir. A tes genoux, monsieur!

Probablement vous avez le deviné, oui français est ma langue secondaire.

Edit: Aucune personne n'a pas trouvé ma faute grammaire?

1. ???

2. Problem you something something yes, french is my second language.

3. Anyone find a problem with my grammer?

I speak bits of Dutch and French.
2005-09-28, 1:53 AM #59
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
:o

M. Shintock a dit un mauvais mot. Nous devons le punir. A tes genoux, monsieur!

Probablement vous avez le deviné, oui français est ma langue secondaire.

Edit: Aucune personne n'a pas trouvé ma faute grammaire?

Je l'ai trouvé, je pense. Au lieu de "avez le deviné", on doit écrire "vous l'avez deviné". Et c'était "avez le deviner" avant, non?

Si c'est tout correct: qu'est-ce que j'ai gagné?
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-09-28, 2:02 AM #60
Interesting...
Quite some people speak Japanese.
2005-09-28, 5:26 PM #61
who're the other chinese people O_o
一个大西瓜
2005-09-28, 5:27 PM #62
Get an admin to make all the voters visible
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-09-28, 5:31 PM #63
I feel sorry for people who learn Japanese just so they don't need "those stupid subtitles" on their import anime DVDs. For everyone else who knows Japanese, well, whatever.

Personally, I know English, enough Spanish to get by (I pick up a lot at school, mostly foul words from all the Mexican "gangstahs"), and some German.
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-09-28, 5:32 PM #64
My friend taught me a little German: Ich bin dumm und trinke meine sheiss, and lied about its true meaning. If you speak German he got an earfull when I learned what it really meant :mad: .
2005-09-28, 5:33 PM #65
I'm stupid and eat my ****? Just guessing from my little knowledge.
EDIT: looked again, probably "Drink my piss"?
SpamBlogger
- jak thomsun

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-09-28, 5:34 PM #66
sheiss = sh-t. Yes, he told me it meant "I am smart and make much poop."
2005-09-28, 5:37 PM #67
Wait... how does one drink solid waste?
SpamBlogger
- jak thomsun

2005-09-28, 5:37 PM #68
I don't feel sorry for people who try to learn a thing...
Not just that because I'm a Japanese...
2005-09-28, 5:38 PM #69
I know that now
ich = i
bin = am
dumm = stupid
und = and
trinke = drink
meine = my
sheiss = sh-t
the words sound alot alike(which is why i was mad at myself)
2005-09-28, 5:39 PM #70
Originally posted by Hideki:
I don't feel sorry for people who try to learn a thing...
Not just that because I'm a Japanese...

I mean, I feel pity for them because they go so low as to learn a whole new language just for a cult addiction to Japanese animation.
SpamBlogger
- jak thomsun

2005-09-28, 5:39 PM #71
One can drink solid waste when one has diarhea
2005-09-28, 5:42 PM #72
Hmm, what's so wrong about it, if it's animation.

I'd say getting a motivation to learn a new language is far harder if you have nothing interested around that country.

There's nothing wrong and their own business to learn new stuff.
2005-09-28, 5:45 PM #73
Originally posted by Reid:
I know that now
ich = i
bin = am
dumm = stupid
und = and
trinke = drink
meine = my
sheiss = sh-t
the words sound alot alike(which is why i was mad at myself)

Sheiss is actually closer to "crap"; it's not quite as expletive as "shit"
SpamBlogger
- jak thomsun

2005-09-28, 5:45 PM #74
Some people actually learn japanese FROM anime :p it's the equivalent of someone learning english from a cliche soap opera
一个大西瓜
2005-09-28, 5:47 PM #75
Yeah, but you know the words "kill", "monster", and "hero" by heart; if you learn English from a soap opera you tend to learn "pregnant", "mafia", and "love" quickly.
SpamBlogger
- jak thomsun

2005-09-28, 5:50 PM #76
Also, or at least so I have read, Anime Japanese is very stilted abnormal and generally unlike normal spoken Japanese, and so learning Japanese from that would be a bit counterproductive.

Although one does eventually pick up a number of words, expressions, and a bit of the grammar just from the auditory immersion.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2005-09-28, 5:52 PM #77
Attachment: 7468/aurabesh.gif (2,231 bytes)
Pyro Universe The ultimate fireworks site!
2005-09-28, 9:56 PM #78
Je parle un petit peu de Francais wa ana atakallum al-arabiya. Adrus fi'l kulliya al-charleston wa sa'adhab ila masr fi yanayir li dirasa hunaka, in'sha'allah. Sa'amil fi al-wikalat al-mukhabarat al-markaziya fi-'l mustaqbal.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2005-09-28, 11:04 PM #79
Originally posted by Tenshu:
Je l'ai trouvé, je pense. Au lieu de "avez le deviné", on doit écrire "vous l'avez deviné". Et c'était "avez le deviner" avant, non?

Si c'est tout correct: qu'est-ce que j'ai gagné?

Oui. C'est ma faute secondaire! Merci pour me montrer.

Tu as gagné un petit gateau-sec!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.

↑ Up to the top!