Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Rain Forests are Devistated by Photoshop
Rain Forests are Devistated by Photoshop
2005-09-27, 7:47 PM #1
This website shows exactly how devistated our PS'd rainforests look.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-09-27, 7:51 PM #2
Good lord that's horrible PS.
D E A T H
2005-09-27, 7:51 PM #3
I think that's real, kirbs
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-09-27, 7:52 PM #4
I don't get it. Am I missing something?
2005-09-27, 7:54 PM #5
The reason it looks fake is the difference in saturation between the dudes and the forest. Combine that with the high compression on the image and wishful thinking does the rest. But it's clearly a real picture. You guys need to stop jumping on the concession-making bandwagon and realize that the anti-environmentalist propaganda may not all be true. :p
2005-09-27, 7:58 PM #6
Where's the sun lighting those red bands? Why are their feet very very uneven. Why is everything around them very smooth, and they're very fine? I am pretty sure it's PS'd.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-09-27, 8:00 PM #7
:\
2005-09-27, 8:07 PM #8
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Where's the sun lighting those red bands?

Up in the sky, where it always is.

Why are their feet very very uneven.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but the ground isn't flat and their feet are very badly compressed.

Why is everything around them very smooth, and they're very fine?

It isn't. I don't know what you're seeing, but beyond ordinary compression the image is perfectly regular.
2005-09-27, 8:09 PM #9
Actually, if you look at the Rear indians right foot (his right) you can make out a light band which looks like a part that didn't get erased.

hmmmm
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-09-27, 8:11 PM #10
[QUOTE=Compos Mentis]Actually, if you look at the Rear indians right foot (his right) you can make out a light band which looks like a part that didn't get erased.

hmmmm[/QUOTE]

That's ash, from the fire. They've been walking around in it. You can see more of it in the background. :p

Also this whole argument is moot when you consider that, natives or not, the fire still occurred and burned down all those trees. We KNOW it's happening, we KNOW those people live where it happens, why would they subscribe to Reuters and then photoshop fake images of stuff that already exists?
2005-09-27, 8:35 PM #11
It still looks extremely fake.
Pissed Off?
2005-09-27, 10:18 PM #12
If there's shadows on their bodies, then why the hell are there no shadows on the ground? It's a crappy PS job.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-09-27, 10:35 PM #13
I'm not sure if it's real or not, but I bet if I posted a bunch of real pics mixed with photoshops, you guys would get alot wrong and find alot of things in the real pics that are supposedly signs of photoshopping. I think the only reason you think that looks fake is the contrast.
2005-09-27, 10:53 PM #14
Its some dudes from somewhere else pasted on a volcinated area. So what's the deal here?
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-09-27, 11:02 PM #15
Originally posted by tinny:
Its some dudes from somewhere else pasted on a volcinated area. So what's the deal here?

Its real. Or at least it claims to be. Personally I think it's real.
2005-09-27, 11:14 PM #16
Looks like photoshop to me.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-09-27, 11:52 PM #17
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
If there's shadows on their bodies, then why the hell are there no shadows on the ground? It's a crappy PS job.

umm. because some things, like burnt ground dont take s smooth shadow as well as other things.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-09-27, 11:56 PM #18
http://www.un.org/unfip/2004Website/

theres another website it's on... I really don't think its a photoshop you guys are jumping to conclusions based on nothing... And i can see the shadows they are faint as they should be but still visible.
2005-09-28, 12:04 AM #19
Doesn't mean the pic still isn't doctored.
Pissed Off?
2005-09-28, 4:12 AM #20
Why would they care to doctor the photo? Maybe it's just bad lighting...

They're hippies and tree-huggers Avenger, not UFO conspiracists. It's a ****ing miracle they even know how to use a computer, never mind photoshop. They even have to give out advice on "making pictures bigger" and "searching for more pictures" at the bottom of the article.
2005-09-28, 7:05 AM #21
http://www.planetark.com/envpicstory.cfm/newsid/32710
2005-09-28, 8:35 AM #22
Originally posted by Avenger:
Doesn't mean the pic still isn't doctored.

If anything they probably upped the contrast or the saturation on the natives.
2005-09-28, 9:13 AM #23
I think I need to see a bigger version of the pic. I can't see the small details.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-09-28, 11:40 AM #24
I honestly can't believe you guys are fighting over this. Even if it IS phoshopped, what's your point?
2005-09-28, 11:52 AM #25
[QUOTE=Murc XIII]I honestly can't believe you guys are fighting over this. Even if it IS phoshopped, what's your point?[/QUOTE]
...Did you just say what I think you said???
2005-09-28, 1:46 PM #26
It looks very fake. Also, how is that even deforested land? Deforisation is what happens when they remove all the trees. That's just a burnt forest.
2005-09-28, 1:50 PM #27
[QUOTE=Murc XIII]I honestly can't believe you guys are fighting over this. Even if it IS phoshopped, what's your point?[/QUOTE]

If it's photoshpped in that the people were added to a landscape where they really aren't the group is blatantly lying to try to gain support. That's in the same vein and false advertising. Never mind the fact that they probably got some native people and brought them to a burned down area of forest just to play on people's pity (I can't say that is for sure, but it wouldn't suprise me).

[QUOTE=Raoul Duke]If anything they probably upped the contrast or the saturation on the natives.[/QUOTE]

That's probably the most likey scenario to show huge contrast between the bright colors of the the native people's dress and the black and grey if the bured area.
Pissed Off?
2005-09-28, 2:33 PM #28
I wasn't really caring about the social issue, it just looked very Photoshopped to me. Not to mention, deforestation, which happens here a whole lot, is where they cut down the trees and pile them up and burn them. It's quite obvious that the picture they show there is in fact an accidental forest fire, or even ash from a volcano. I know for certain that deforestation is not done via large scale burning: That wouldn't work, and would get out of hand way too easily.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-09-28, 2:37 PM #29
It looks photoshopped, however it could be just the guy who processed it was pretty bad... I mean... he must've bumped up the saturation to high heaven to make that effect.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-09-28, 2:41 PM #30
Real or not, I'm not sure I understand what they are trying to accomplish with the picture. Forest fires are a natural and necessary part of the ecosystem, stopping them will hurt more than help. There are exceptions, such as when human life becomes endangered, but it's usually not something you want to mess with. So...what?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-09-28, 3:05 PM #31
:\

I'm a naturalist. I believe in bringing balance to nature and the Earth. This includes forest fires. However, if it was caused by an organization/corperation to make profit, I am against it. If it is natural however, I don't see what the problem is.

As for the picture, how many of you often see natives? Given the picture looks totally fake, but there is a possibility it is real. Unless you know all the facts, I suggest you don't judge it.
2005-09-28, 3:17 PM #32
Originally posted by Emon:
Real or not, I'm not sure I understand what they are trying to accomplish with the picture. Forest fires are a natural and necessary part of the ecosystem, stopping them will hurt more than help. There are exceptions, such as when human life becomes endangered, but it's usually not something you want to mess with. So...what?

Yep. Forest fires are an important part of an ecosystem's cycle.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-09-28, 3:31 PM #33
I wasn't really caring about the social issue, it just looked very Photoshopped to me. Not to mention, deforestation, which happens here a whole lot, is where they cut down the trees and pile them up and burn them. It's quite obvious that the picture they show there is in fact an accidental forest fire, or even ash from a volcano. I know for certain that deforestation is not done via large scale burning: That wouldn't work, and would get out of hand way too easily.

Fires are a very common way that rainforests are cleared in South America because it's the cheapest way to do it.
Pissed Off?
2005-09-28, 4:05 PM #34
Has anyone else noticed the fact that those trees look very familiar to PINES? Also the lighting is way off, and why is the native walking in a non-sensicle fashion towards the cameraman? This is a very very badly PS'd photo. Also rain forest are the most dense ecosystems in the world, there would be more ashes/burnt organic material.
2005-09-28, 4:40 PM #35
My instincts + general knowledge of light and matter tell me it's a PS
2005-09-28, 6:01 PM #36
Originally posted by oSiRiS:
Yep. Forest fires are an important part of an ecosystem's cycle.

Maybe in temperate zones. This is the rain forest we're talking about.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-09-28, 6:02 PM #37
It looks like an evergreen forest to me!
2005-09-28, 6:08 PM #38
This group does not cover only one area, guys. Look at the yellow bar on the right. Most of its crap is about PETA though.
2005-09-28, 6:08 PM #39
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:

It's called diffusion. Maybe you'll learn about it in school one day. :p
2005-09-28, 6:09 PM #40
You guys are hopeless. none of your points are valid. You could say the exact same thing about many other photos.

I mean, "the unnatural way the native is walkin toward the camera"?? give me a break. The fact that they look like pines? Its fricikin stumps...you guys dont kno enough about this to be saying anything, and why would you assume its a photoshop? I'm almost certain its real...it came from reuters.

The only reason you aall think its a photoshop is because jedikirby planted that idea in your head.

↑ Up to the top!