Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My first paid gig! And other work-related stories
My first paid gig! And other work-related stories
2005-09-28, 7:10 AM #1
As most of you probably dont know, one of the things I love to do with my spare time is practice magic. Usually my performances are nothing more than entertaining a few work buddies with some card tricks down at the pub on a Friday night. Last Friday there were a whole bunch of managers down at the pub for some reason, and a few of them wandered over and watched me do a few effects.

Apparently they were impressed. Today I got asked to do some strolling table-to-table magic at the annual departmental dinner this Friday. My first paid magic gig!

I'm just hoping I can keep my nerve and my hands dont start shaking like someone with Parkinson's using a blender. Making a signed card appear in my pocket is one thing in front of my friends, but doing it in front of my boss, and his boss, and his boss, and his boss....

So, post your weird experiences at work recently.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-09-28, 7:34 AM #2
That freaking awesome! Best of luck!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-09-28, 3:46 PM #3
Nice going man!
Once someone showed me a card trick and the story of it involved lesbians from kings cross in sydney. At the end of the card trick, two queens end up face to face or something. Do you know that one?
At the time i was being shown these card tricks, the guy said he had done some really intricate tricks, only to find people weren't overly impressed. What did impress people were the simple tricks that had stories behind them - like saying you got this magic deck of cards from lesbians at kings cross, and then doing the lesbian trick. Do you ever try to give your tricks stories?
2005-09-28, 3:48 PM #4
You won't screw up ;) Good luck!
2005-09-28, 3:57 PM #5
Go practice on the street with random people. It'll help you get used to doing the tricks oin a pressure situation.
Pissed Off?
2005-09-28, 7:43 PM #6
Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys :D

Originally posted by Chuckles:
Nice going man!
Once someone showed me a card trick and the story of it involved lesbians from kings cross in sydney. At the end of the card trick, two queens end up face to face or something. Do you know that one?
At the time i was being shown these card tricks, the guy said he had done some really intricate tricks, only to find people weren't overly impressed. What did impress people were the simple tricks that had stories behind them - like saying you got this magic deck of cards from lesbians at kings cross, and then doing the lesbian trick. Do you ever try to give your tricks stories?

Dont know that one specifically, sounds good though ;)
I know one where the four Jacks respresent The Beatles and the Ace of Spades of Yoko, and a three card monty with a storyline where I keep getting screwed over. Always thought tricks with storylines are a little cheesy.

I seem to get the best reaction from effects where the spectator holds a card for the duration of the trick in their hands, it gets them involved and makes it even more unbelievable to them.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

↑ Up to the top!