Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → How the hell does Cris Angel do it?
How the hell does Cris Angel do it?
2005-09-28, 11:11 PM #1
Seriously help me out here cus I'm starting to think the dude really has magic powers. But on the other hand I think theres something behind it all.

Cus really, his **** just confounds me. Beyond complete staging of his tricks, I don't see how he could do it without magic powers.

For instance, he goes up to some random people on the street with a pop can. Asks them to produce a quarter (not his own quarter) and draw some kind of sign on it with a felt pen just to be recognizable. Then he takes their unopened can of pop, and slams the quarter into the bottom. It disappears, he shakes the unopened can and you can hear a quarter rattling inside. He opens the can and then pours all the pop out until the quarter is resting just on the inside since its too big. He shows the people that its their quarter with their sign sittin inside the can. I just don't get anyway this could be an illusion.

Any ideas?
2005-09-28, 11:23 PM #2
Wow the last trick was stunning. Really, the only way any of these tricks could be pulled off is by completely faking them all with fake spectators and whatnot. It's just completely...theres no way.
2005-09-28, 11:25 PM #3
alot of it is staged, some isn't (sleight of hand)
same with what's his face, from the southpark episode
doesn't make it any less entertaining though :)
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-09-28, 11:25 PM #4
Sometimes they do one trick for an audience then reshoot the illusion to make it look better for TV. Sometimes it's staged and the spectators are in on it.
Pissed Off?
2005-09-29, 1:09 AM #5
Just because the coin has the same mark doesn't mean it's the same coin.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-09-29, 3:56 AM #6
I thought that was David Blaine who did that trick.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2005-09-29, 8:27 AM #7
The last trick I saw Blane do was take an empty dented beer can, wipe his thumb over the opening, and the can was resealed, and full of beer.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-09-29, 8:30 AM #8
Originally posted by Deadman:
Just because the coin has the same mark doesn't mean it's the same coin.

The can was sealed and supposedly just passed to him from the spectator. But I guess its just done with fake spectators and he's a fraud. If thats the case thats completely wack. I thought he was crazy but I guess not.

His stunts are pretty intense however.
2005-09-29, 9:19 AM #9
I guarantee you that coin in the can trick is 100% real and that there is only the one signed coin. It's a reasonably well-known routine.

Hell you can even buy the trick if you want to, lemmie do a Google search...

http://cliquemerch.sparkart.com/crissangel/viewmerch.php?merch_id=319

What was the last trick? :)
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-09-29, 11:42 AM #10
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
The last trick I saw Blane do was take an empty dented beer can, wipe his thumb over the opening, and the can was resealed, and full of beer.

:O CAN YOU SAY WEDDING AT CANA
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-09-29, 11:48 AM #11
Yeah, his stuff is insane. Last night I saw him crawl through a solid glass window. He had a bunch of people tap the glass to show there was really glass there, then he put up a piece of paper over part of the window, went into the building, and crawled through the piece of paper. Then he tapped the glass again to show it was still there. All one continuous shot. I have no idea how he does that stuff.
Warhead[97]
2005-09-29, 2:22 PM #12
Yeah, Blane does the freaky ****. Chris just seems to do the basic tricks, but with flare.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-09-29, 2:48 PM #13
He does it by being goth.

Also, he is wiccan.
2005-09-29, 4:12 PM #14
I caught Cris Angel's show the other day for the first time and I must say that it was a waste of my time. I know it's supposed to be entertainment, but it's irritatingly fake just like wrestling, and just like wrestling, there are 97 bazillion tards out there that believe it's real.
2005-09-29, 4:17 PM #15
What TV channel is this guy on? This is interesting.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-09-29, 4:49 PM #16
Originally posted by MentatMM:
I caught Cris Angel's show the other day for the first time and I must say that it was a waste of my time. I know it's supposed to be entertainment, but it's irritatingly fake just like wrestling, and just like wrestling, there are 97 bazillion tards out there that believe it's real.

Cris Angel has the most "I'm so deep and Emo, I'm MYSTERIOUS DAMMIT" show I've ever seen on tv. It's flat out lame. David Blain is at least respectable.
"Let me just try something here...Let me just try this really quick"
</sarcasm>
2005-09-29, 4:53 PM #17
David Blain looks like Jeff Goldblum.

Also: Spork is magic!
2005-09-29, 5:05 PM #18
And its funny how all the spec - taters all seem to yell out the F dash dash dash word. Its weird :/
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2005-09-29, 6:16 PM #19
Originally posted by Spork:
I guarantee you that coin in the can trick is 100% real and that there is only the one signed coin. It's a reasonably well-known routine.

Hell you can even buy the trick if you want to, lemmie do a Google search...

http://cliquemerch.sparkart.com/crissangel/viewmerch.php?merch_id=319

What was the last trick? :)

It was the window one. I'm guessing he had a fake panel in the glass or something that was covered by the paper..Otherwise I have no clue.

And how the hell is the can trick done? I cant think of any physical way it is possible, unless he somehow slips the coin in after he opens it and somehow makes the noise before hand some other way. Does a quarter even fit into a soda can opening? *just tried and yes it does but you have to force it...dont see how he could do that without them noticing)
2005-09-29, 6:43 PM #20
Its a simple trick, all you need is a hidden superhot torch. And alot of luck.

o.0
2005-09-29, 6:57 PM #21
Ok the window one was a setup, but hey preparation is part of being a great magician. There are heaps of 'walk through something solid' type stage effects out there, it was probably just presented in such a way to appear impromptu. But again, making stuff appear like it wasnt pre-determined is a huge, huge part of magic. Remember, the whole thing is an act

I havent actually seen the coin and soda one performed. It sounds incredably clean. My guess would be some really good sleight and a lot of practice.

David Blaine does very simple magic, too, he just presents it extremely well.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-09-29, 7:04 PM #22
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/teleport.html
一个大西瓜
2005-09-29, 7:31 PM #23
Looks like he's taken some tried and tested stage techniques and applied them to street magic.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-09-29, 8:05 PM #24
Cris Angel is whats wrong with magic today. I hate that guy.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-09-29, 8:33 PM #25
[QUOTE=Raoul Duke] But I guess its just done with fake spectators and he's a fraud.[/QUOTE]
In that case all magicians are frauds. But I wouldn't say that. Their job is trickery, that's all there is to it.
They call it magic but we all know better. The tricky part is working out how the hell they did it.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-09-29, 9:04 PM #26
Originally posted by Deadman:
In that case all magicians are frauds. But I wouldn't say that. Their job is trickery, that's all there is to it.
They call it magic but we all know better. The tricky part is working out how the hell they did it.

Wrong. Using illusion and slight of hand is not the same as using fake participants and camera tricks to stage a trick. If it doesn't work on a real life audience that isn't in on it, then its fraud.
2005-09-29, 9:04 PM #27
Anyone know how he did the teleport thing
一个大西瓜
2005-09-29, 9:07 PM #28
Like this!

*teleport*
2005-09-29, 9:08 PM #29
Originally posted by Spork:
Ok the window one was a setup, but hey preparation is part of being a great magician. There are heaps of 'walk through something solid' type stage effects out there, it was probably just presented in such a way to appear impromptu.

I'm fully able to accept that it was a set up (can't think of any other way it could be done) but how in the world was it set up? I mean, it's not like he could switch out the window.
Warhead[97]
2005-09-29, 9:38 PM #30
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
I'm fully able to accept that it was a set up (can't think of any other way it could be done) but how in the world was it set up? I mean, it's not like he could switch out the window.

Fake panel perhaps? I dunno...

There was one trick that was absolutly ridiculously fake. Basically the jist of it is that 2 people were standing in a hallway, cris angel waved, and they suddely were 20 feet down the hallway, all in one camera shot..like they literally teleported, looking all confused as to how they got there. So fake it made me want to puke.
2005-09-30, 9:07 PM #31
[QUOTE=Raoul Duke]Wrong. Using illusion and slight of hand is not the same as using fake participants and camera tricks to stage a trick. If it doesn't work on a real life audience that isn't in on it, then its fraud.[/QUOTE]

Depends who the intended audience is. Ok camera tricks or special effects are very lame, but if the intended audience is the TV audience then I see nothing wrong with using stooges. It's like when a magician performs on stage he usually has assistants.

Originally posted by BobTheMasher:

Why not?

Originally posted by Pommy:
Anyone know how he did the teleport thing

My guess would be much the same as any stage effect where the magician seemingly teleports. Stooges (aka 'assistants') and a very cleverly designed rubbish bin.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-09-30, 10:33 PM #32
http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/70.html

Levitation :p
2005-09-30, 10:40 PM #33
I wish I could have telekinetic powers too.:(

o.0
2005-09-30, 10:42 PM #34
Originally posted by saberopus:

he hella wobbles like he's on cables.
</sarcasm>
2005-09-30, 10:54 PM #35
Anyone know about lounge levitation? I'm so entirely confounded as to how that works

Or this
一个大西瓜
2005-10-01, 9:20 AM #36
Compos, I was gonna wait for someone else to say it, but yeah, he totally does :)

↑ Up to the top!