Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → D-Pads on controllers suck these days
D-Pads on controllers suck these days
2005-10-01, 10:13 AM #1
I'm wanting to play some old 2D games (platformers and what not) and just can't handle the controls. Keyboard controlls don't work for me (I use TV-Out), and the d-pads on the gamepads I have are either sluggish or irresponsive, or simple require to much pressure to be applied to the buttons.

I've bought a number of controllers over the years (including trying a Nintendo 64 controller with a N64-to-PC adapter, a Nyko Air Flo, a PS2 controller with a PS2-to-PC adapter [the d-pad started becoming irresponsive after just a week or two of heavy use]) and the d-pads are horrible.

Using an analog stick isn't a problem in some games. In most of them, however, the stick feels loose and oftentimes I find myself pushing up or down on the stick by accident (sucks in the heat of combat if your character starts ducking or jumping) because it's simple too sensitive for a 2D game.

Anyone got any recommendations when it comes to game pads or tips?
2005-10-01, 10:23 AM #2
What kind of PS2-PC adapter is it? I use a PS-Parallel adapter, a multitap, and 2 controllers all the time with emulation and stuff like JJ2. Of course, you can always BYOAC.
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-01, 10:38 AM #3
Havent used it for digity-six years, but my old Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad had a nice d-pad on it.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-10-01, 10:47 AM #4
Yeah, i have a cheap Trust controller (MS Sidewinder clone) and the D-Pad is excellent for playing mega drive roms. :P
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-10-01, 11:01 AM #5
My PS2 controller is still going strong after years of use and abuse on both PS2 games, SNES games, and games like GTA:SA. Dunno why you had a problem with it. I find it to be perfect ;)
D E A T H
2005-10-01, 11:27 AM #6
I'm rather fond of my dual-analog + D-Pad Saitek P880, it's built for PC's, but it has a layout that's similar to a PlayStation dual-analog paddle. The difference is it has a function key that allows you to program extra functionality if you choose to use the "advanced" drivers. Plus, it has a button labeled "digital" right in the middle that allows you to swap the D-Pad with Analog 1, in case you need the D-pad, but it's "acting sluggish" or starting to hurt your thumb.

Excellent for games where the keyboard/mouse is somehow awkward.
DuraCleave™
- SM Nesseight | Chris (XFire profile)
- Sith Mercenaries
2005-10-01, 12:49 PM #7
Originally posted by Spork:
Havent used it for digity-six years, but my old Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad had a nice d-pad on it.

Same here. It worked really well for all games that I played that needed a game pad.
Pissed Off?
2005-10-01, 1:52 PM #8
IMO gamecube controllers have the best d-pad out there for the current generation.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-10-01, 4:03 PM #9
I hate the PS controllers, since they use D-buttons instead of a D-pad. I like the cube controllers, and N64
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-10-01, 4:47 PM #10
I want a GC<->PC adapter :( I have a PSX<->PC one which works swell, but I like the GC controllers better.

Only GC<->PC stuff I've found has been import and at the time I didn't wanna deal with that.

2005-10-01, 4:52 PM #11
DON'T get the Skillz adapter, it sucks. :(
2005-10-01, 5:56 PM #12
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]My PS2 controller is still going strong after years of use and abuse on both PS2 games, SNES games, and games like GTA:SA. Dunno why you had a problem with it. I find it to be perfect ;)[/QUOTE]

As am I
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-10-01, 6:24 PM #13
I've always prefered to use my Gamepad Pro when playing 2D games because its just like the PS1 gamepad except the D-Pad is a circle much like the Sega Genesis. If you don't own one, you can probably still find it for sale for only 10 bucks.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-10-01, 6:26 PM #14
I prefer the GCN controller, but hate it's D-pad. The button's are too easy to hit one another. The PS2 d-buttons or whatever I absolutely LOVE.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-10-02, 2:12 PM #15
I use a Gravis PC Gamepad. It's nearly like an SNES controller, except it has no L/R buttons, or START/SELECT buttons. :( But that's ok, since I only ever play MegaMan X games. I've gotten decent performance for up to MMX5. Because that's all I've ever played of the series so far.

The only problem is that it sometimes randomly changes the direction of my character. It hasn't always done that. Maybe it has something to do with me dropping it all the time.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-10-02, 2:39 PM #16
The SNES D-Pad is by far the best
2005-10-02, 2:54 PM #17
The Happ Controls Ultimate 8-Way is by far the best digital directional controller I have ever seen. Arcade junkies FTW.
SpamBlogger
- jak thomsun

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-02, 3:01 PM #18
I use a Logitech Precision
2005-10-02, 4:06 PM #19
My Logitech Rumblepad 2 has an AWESOME D-pad.
2005-10-03, 3:02 PM #20
SNES -> PC adapter > all other adapters.
2005-10-03, 3:27 PM #21
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]SNES -> PC adapter > all other adapters.[/QUOTE]

There are no truer words spoken. The snes pads were of an exceptional quality when games were made to last. My d-pad is still functioning like it was new. :)
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-10-03, 3:35 PM #22
Am I the only one that thinks of a PS2 controller as a modified (for the better) SNES controller?
D E A T H
2005-10-03, 5:24 PM #23
I emulate Super Street Fighter 2 on my xbox, and I can't do the combos like I used to on the Genesis. :gbk:

:gbk: = : gbk : just noticed that. <3 :D
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2005-10-03, 5:59 PM #24
I use a homemade xbox-pc adapter, got my logitech wireless xbox controller hooked to it for playing SNES roms. It rocks.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-10-03, 6:24 PM #25
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Am I the only one that thinks of a PS2 controller as a modified (for the better) SNES controller?[/QUOTE]

A PS2-style controller is the best thing to happen to SNES games.
2005-10-03, 6:27 PM #26
Originally posted by Vegiemaster:
I emulate Super Street Fighter 2 on my xbox, and I can't do the combos like I used to on the Genesis. :gbk:

:gbk: = : gbk : just noticed that. <3 :D

I emulate Street Fighter 2 on a MAME cab and can whip your *** with real controls.
:D
SpamBlogger
- jak thomsun

2005-10-03, 6:57 PM #27
Originally posted by Shintock:
A PS2-style controller is the best thing to happen to SNES games.

Hell yes.

The d-pad is even better on ye old thumb. My favorite controller was a third party controller made for the snes. It's thumbpad was perfect. I still have it in my cupboard.
If I ever got a snes - pc adaptor I might use that controller for some games. But probably not since the ps2 controller also has the joysticks and the extra buttons and they always come in handy.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-10-04, 8:40 AM #28
I hate the split button d pads on ps and ps2 controllers, they are the worst invention since non-sliced bread.

The other ones that sucked were the ones from sega that had a round stick with small diagonal sections for going diagonal. Damnit, the original NES ones and SNES ones were the best.

↑ Up to the top!