Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → ati radeon and jk
ati radeon and jk
2005-10-01, 8:46 PM #1
a few months ago i purchased a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB AGP and today i
reinstalled JK. It seemed a little choppier, like wen i free look its kinda choppy. anyone encountered this problem? btw i have pentium 4 3.2 ghz, 512 RAM, 118 GB hard drive
But it was so artfully done...
2005-10-01, 9:45 PM #2
you are using drivers other than those on the included disc right?
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-10-01, 9:49 PM #3
Some of the new graphics cards don't seem to work with JK too well, especially in free look/external and with the lightsaber. I also had a 9800 pro, and had graphical corruption related to those things.
Air Master 3D (my iPhone game)
My Programming Website
2005-10-01, 11:35 PM #4
Hmm, I also realized that JK looks amazingly crappy even on my GF6600, which is still very superior to the top cards of 1997.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-10-01, 11:54 PM #5
Quote:
you are using drivers other than those on the included disc right?

wat do u mean by that.

and also Sige, u said u had problems w/ ur 9800 and JK, wat did u do about it
2005-10-02, 5:55 AM #6
drivers from the CD that came with the card tend to be at least 5 versions behind

i can't remember if it was my GF4MX or my 9800Pro that had serious problems with JK using the included drivers.. but it is generally a good idea to update
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-10-02, 7:48 AM #7
The only problem I know about with Radeon cards and JK is display corruption that occurs if the crosshair is enabled.

Not sure about what you mean with "coppiness."

Go here and download Fraps:
http://www.fraps.com/

Run the program and in JK tell us what kind of frames you are getting.

New drivers that fix problems with video cards can be found here: http://www.ati.com/ under 'Drivers and Software'
2005-10-02, 8:03 AM #8
I rather dislike ATI cards, especially with JK. My ATI 9600 has the same graphical corruption. The latest drivers released seem to have fixed some of the HOM'ing, though. The reticule still gets screwed up, and I haven't even had my crosshair enabled for like over a year.
DuraCleaveâ„¢
- SM Nesseight | Chris (XFire profile)
- Sith Mercenaries
2005-10-02, 9:08 AM #9
I never noticed any problems with JK and ATI X300 on my computer.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-02, 10:04 AM #10
i used fraps to test fps and the console command in JK. Both showed a consistent 60.
Perhaps I have just been away from JK for a wile and the uber smooth free look of games like CoD polluted my vision. i just dont quite know. O and also i noticed that even though my resolution is set to 1280x1024 (which it is in the game) the JK menu is still in 640X432. On the ATI control panel there are these graphics settings for Direct 3D and Open GL: Optimum Performance, high performance, balanced, high quality, optimum quality. Which of these settings would maybe be better for an older game. o and btw i tested in on high perf and i encountered glitches to the max so it probably cant be in the performance category.
2005-10-02, 10:45 AM #11
My 3D Rage Pro [ati] Really likes to mess 3d games up...meh it works welll with CnC so im ok with my latest drivers
2005-10-02, 11:16 AM #12
My 9800 Pro 128 only looked decent in JK with the original drivers. Once I updated them, all of the 3DOs produced HOM. WoW looked like crap too.
2005-10-02, 11:31 AM #13
Originally posted by MentatMM:
My 9800 Pro 128 only looked decent in JK with the original drivers. Once I updated them, all of the 3DOs produced HOM. WoW looked like crap too.

Walk on Walls? ;)

That's the same nonsense that was occurring on my system. The crosshair and reticules were screwed regardless, but I found the HOM'ing on the 3do's would be alleviated by running Anti-Aliasing (which doesn't work as well in old games as one would like to hope), or by using "Screen Size 8" opposed to 9 or 10

The last driver update seems to have fixed the 3DO HOM problem for me, but the release notes make no note of fixing this issue so it's just something that inadvertantly got fixed while they fixed a problem with another game.

Does anyone have any problems with the newer nVidia cards/drivers?
DuraCleaveâ„¢
- SM Nesseight | Chris (XFire profile)
- Sith Mercenaries
2005-10-02, 1:18 PM #14
[url]www.omega-drivers.net[/url]

Streamlined drivers with more controls and options.

↑ Up to the top!